Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

The difference between vibration dampener and sound deadener

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 01:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The difference between vibration dampener and sound deadener

Hi Guys,
I'm often shocked when I see so many photos of people "sound deadening" their vehicles when in reality they are only adding vibration dampener everywhere and thinking this is working well. This is not the case and often times a waste of money when covering the areas 100%. The vibration dampener that I'm talking about is the sticky butyl sheets that have a thin foil backing on it and looks like this:

There is a 25% rule that should be followed using this stuff meaning that you only need to cover roughly 25% of the given area to effectively reduce the vibrations. Any more than 25% offers diminishing returns. However, it's not a bad idea to cover any holes with this material to assist with sound wave leaks and doing so might exceed the 25% rule.

Now when it comes to actual sound deadening material, you'll want to use closed cell foam and mass loaded vinyl (MLV). This stuff is crazy thick and heavy. Once you see and feel what this stuff is made of, you'll then understand how this material kills sound waves from entering your vehicle. This material is what you'd want to cover 100% of any given area to very effectively kill outside noise. The sound deadening material looks like this:

Regards,
Bruce

Last edited by 95stepside; 03-19-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

How thick is the Second Skin? I'm trying to squeeze 2 JL shallow 10's behind the backseat and I was thinking I would need to cover that back wall with something, but space is at a premium. Should I use actual dampening back there or could I get away with just the regular stuff (anti-vibration)? I'm assuming this would be good for the floor, but would you use this in the doors as well? Never built a system before besides just swapping speakers and adding a sub and I want to make sure I do it right since I'll have pretty much the interior stripped. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:07 PM

For all of my builds, I always use both materials together. So to answer your question, the vibrations dampener uses ultra-thick 6.5 mil foil that's attached to 2 mm thick butyl. That is if you are using the Dampener Pro material which is twice as thick as the competition. The Luxury Liner Pro sound dampener material is 3/8" thick. The combination of the two products is over 1/2" of soundproofing. I think with the back wall material taken out you'll have more than enough room for your install.

Last edited by 95stepside; 03-19-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:35 PM

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Locster
How thick is the Second Skin? I'm trying to squeeze 2 JL shallow 10's behind the backseat and I was thinking I would need to cover that back wall with something, but space is at a premium. Should I use actual dampening back there or could I get away with just the regular stuff (anti-vibration)? I'm assuming this would be good for the floor, but would you use this in the doors as well? Never built a system before besides just swapping speakers and adding a sub and I want to make sure I do it right since I'll have pretty much the interior stripped. Thanks.
Time to read up

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...d-testing.html

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...echniques.html

FYI I don't know about the Ford's yet, but I couldn't get luxury liner pro in-between my doors on my 2014 silverado, had to use some thinner stuff as it is too thick. It was amazing on the floor though!

Last edited by jdunk54nl; 03-19-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:00 PM

Great links!!! I had to read up on them and found them very useful. As for sandwiching the Luxury Liner Pro between the door panel and cover this would be very hard to do as well. You could also line the outer door skin from inside the cavity of the door to accomplish a good deal of sound deadening from outside noises.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:59 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jdunk54nl
don's products are the best on the market. i've installed everything from the original asphalt-based dynamat to the modern version, second skin products (when ant still owned them) and a host of others and nothing can beat don's cld tiles.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:14 AM

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I just thought I would add to this thread (since I see this SDS tiles stuff mentioned EVERYWHERE during my endless research of vibration/sound deadening products), that this guy is out of business. These CLD tile things are not sold anymore.......makes me curious if they were a sham
Old 04-13-2019, 09:55 AM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisingrassia
I just thought I would add to this thread (since I see this SDS tiles stuff mentioned EVERYWHERE during my endless research of vibration/sound deadening products), that this guy is out of business. These CLD tile things are not sold anymore.......makes me curious if they were a sham
Absolutely not man. SDS was phenomenal a company. The owner was an older gentleman and simply retired. The explanation is right on the website.
The following users liked this post:
Sainte (04-14-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 10:34 AM

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisingrassia
As dhm said, Definitely not a sham. Look at the website and all of the free info on how to install it. Telling you 25% instead of full coverage like most, how to install everything with tricks of the trade, etc.

The diy audio industry simply lost something great with Dons retirement. Skizer on the diyma site will hopefully replace Dons products and fill that void, but he is still working on getting products that will perform to his high standards. But I am fully confident the resonix company will be the new sds here shortly.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:43 AM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by jdunk54nl
As dhm said, Definitely not a sham. Look at the website and all of the free info on how to install it. Telling you 25% instead of full coverage like most, how to install everything with tricks of the trade, etc.

The diy audio industry simply lost something great with Dons retirement. Skizer on the diyma site will hopefully replace Dons products and fill that void, but he is still working on getting products that will perform to his high standards. But I am fully confident the resonix company will be the new sds here shortly.
Agreed!!

Quick Reply: The difference between vibration dampener and sound deadener