Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

In Dash 'OEM Fit' GPS Navigation DVD

Old 03-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Big Kahuna

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default In Dash 'OEM Fit' GPS Navigation DVD

First of all, I want to give a BIG thanks to TheSniper, I bought my unit from him, and has been a HUGE help in putting it all together. He had really done his research on the unit, and supplied me with MUCH more information what came with it. I will include everything I have for others that may need it.

http://www.autodvdgps.com/aftermarke...150-p-908.html

This is a pretty detailed review of the unit, and how I came about getting it up and running the way I wanted in my truck. I’ve also attached a link to download all the “extra” information I have for it.
The unit arrived to me in the same box he bought it in, exactly as the manufacturer shipped it. After opening it up and going through all the included wires, I realized this thing really does do it all.

There were 3 harnesses included.

1. The main harness
a. to connect to the factory harness
b. to connect to the CANBUS plug.
c. to connect to audiophile system (if equipped)

2. The outputs/input harness
a. Connections for EVERYTHING! RCA’s, cameras, etc.

3. “Other” Harness
a. Misc. other connections

Finally, it came with an iPod cable, usb extensions, micros SD, GPS Antenna, Mic, and stylus. As well as a user manual that might as well be thrown away as soon as you open the box.

As I said the manual supplied with the unit is HORRIBLE!!! It is pretty much useless; nothing is included that you couldn’t figure out on your own. Therefore I am calling my write-up “The Missing Manual, F-150 Edition” and will include it as well as all the other tech sheets and information I have at the end as a .pdf

Now, on to the install:

Once I got it all out and figured out what everything was, it was time to install. From what I read, 99% of installs are plug-and-play. It may have just been my unit, or the fact my truck is a 2007, but built in late ’06, so it still carries over some 2006 stuff, I don’t know, but it still wasn’t hard to get going.

I removed the factory radio. First thing that has to be done after that is moving the mounting brackets from the original radio over to the new unit. There are 3 tiny screws on each side that hold it on. Was a very quick switch done in 5min.

Once that was done, I connected everything up in the truck, all the harnesses match up perfectly, and push it into place. Fitting all the wires behind the dash is like TheSniper told me, probably the hardest part. First thing I noticed was that the illumination was lit on the head unit, even though the truck was off. So I tried turning the key and nothing happened, I could not get the unit to turn on. I talked to TheSniper and he sent me a “ford installation guide” and the wiring diagram for the back of the radio. It turned on just fine in his F-250, no Idea why it wouldn’t in my F150. Turns out on “certain” vehicles, it doesn’t give specific ones, accessory power must be run to pin #19 on the radio. I looked over the wiring diagram, and saw that there was already a wire ran for the “power antenna” which is typically a “remote” used to turn on an amp. Since my truck doesn’t have the audiophile system, I rewired this blue wire to connect to pin #19 on the radio and pin #2 on my factory harness (acc power). This worked, the unit turned on just fine once this simple wiring fix was done.

Last edited by Pcwiz13; 03-24-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Big Kahuna

Ratings/Reviews:

Install difficulty (1 easy – 10 hard) : 4
Mine required some rewiring to work correctly, nothing hard, just not plug-n-play like advertised.

Factory Appearance: 10/10
This is one of my favorite things about this radio. It looks PERFECT in the dash, I’ve had several people look at thinking it actually was the original Ford Nav unit.

Audio Quality: 9/10
Overall, the unit sounds great, it does offer a little more control than my original head unit did, Low, Mid, and High. But pretty much is very comparable to stock. This could also be because I still have the stock speakers.

IPod interface: 7/10
The IPod interface works great. It displays songs/playlists/artists/etc. just fine; also have an onscreen “IPod Dial” (the round button thing on the original iPods’) that can be used to navigate. However, this is not how I use my IPhone with it. (More on this later)

DVD: 10/10
Not much to say here, plays just fine, screen looks good.

GPS Navigation: 8/10
I am using IGO8 with my unit; apparently you can use any nav software you want, as long as it runs on windows CE. Mine came with IGO8, and it works pretty well, not quite as easy to get around as my Garmin, but a suitable replacement, so I don’t have to have the Garmin on the dash anymore.

Bluetooth/Phone: 10/10
This is one area I really like about the unit. My IPhone paired just fine. Send/Receives great. Only downside I’ve seen is, with my IPhone I can’t get my contacts to sync with it. It appears to want you to “push” your contacts to the head unit, but I don’t know how this is done with the IPhone.
Another great feature I enjoy about the Bluetooth is once I paired my IPhone with it, ALL of my phone sounds are played through the radio, no matter what screen or menu you are at. This may be annoying to some, but I like it. My phone rings, text tones, email tones, etc. all come through the head unit now. This also applies to the IPod portion of it. Once paired, and playing something in “IPod mode” a new button is on the screen that allows you to control which “source” you want sound to come out of. I enjoy using it this way to play my music because I retain the touch screen/swipe controls to pick songs.

Interface: 10/10
Overall I like the interface. It is very easy to navigate, and looks very factory. It includes Ford logos on boot up and on the home screen.

Overall: 9/10
In my opinion this is the best GPS/NAV/BLUETOOTH/AUDIO unit you can buy for the money. This unit cost around $600 and includes everything a unit costing $1000 from other manufactures would have. Not to mention it looks completely factory. Boot time is 5-8 seconds, its quick enough I usually don’t even notice it.

Thing to keep in mind:
1. Autodvdgps.com has horrible tech support, not to mention shipping is ~$100.
2. I suggest the Canadian company Trustigo, they operate an eBay store, and I hear great things about their customer service.
3. Several companies make/sell these units, while they look similar, they are actually very different. Hardware/Software seems to vary based on make/model car it was built for. So just because something works for one unit, doesn’t necessarily mean it will work for yours.
4. I have a hard time finding anything about these units or information on fixing/modifying them. Not having an easy universal name really makes them hard to search for. However, TheSniper has found and sent me a lot of great material about unit and I’m happy to share it with anyone that may want a copy.

Nit Pick Items:
· Radio Stations re-name themselves. This “bug” only affects 1 station that I have programmed. I don’t know if it has to do with the type of RDS they use or what, but no matter what I name the station, it will rename to VERY random things several times throughout the day. Not a big deal to me though.
· If you leave nav or DVD on when you turn off the radio, when booted again, it will boot the nav or DVD back up again before giving you control of the radio. (only about 5-6 extra seconds, just can be annoying)

Extra Info:
· Bluetooth pair code: 1234
Things I have yet to get going right.
Like I said, I’ve seen several reviews from people saying it was plug and play, I feel like I’ve just been an extreme case. But I have yet to get my steering wheel controls completely working. Vol + is working now, and data hold steady for the other’s. Its just not “memorizing” the data. Hopefully get it up and running this weekend when I have some time to mess with it.

I hope this helps out anyone interested. There is a large following of the units in the RAV4 World, but nothing that I’ve seen in the F150’s. If you own one of these, and have anything to add please feel free to do so, I’ll add it to my “Missing Manual” also.

******USE AT YOUR OWN RISK******** had to get that out the way,

"Missing Manual Download"
http://www.mediafire.com/?f304e0g8dxfs80d

Last edited by Pcwiz13; 06-29-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damnit! Just when I thought I made up my mind to get the Motevo unit, you had to go and post this great writeup and change my mind. Now it looks like I need to get this one as well. And at least this way there will be at least two of us to try and get a mod scene going for these units. Have you been able to find any manufacturer info, or what the true name or model is? I want to try and find a more local vendor, but with everyone calling it vague names it is nearly impossible to find...

Oh yeah, please pass along any additional info you have gathered for these...

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Big Kahuna

Originally Posted by NSTYXLT
Damnit! Just when I thought I made up my mind to get the Motevo unit, you had to go and post this great writeup and change my mind. Now it looks like I need to get this one as well. And at least this way there will be at least two of us to try and get a mod scene going for these units. Have you been able to find any manufacturer info, or what the true name or model is? I want to try and find a more local vendor, but with everyone calling it vague names it is nearly impossible to find...

Oh yeah, please pass along any additional info you have gathered for these...

Thanks!

No problem, I really like the unit, just wish my install would have been a little easier. The unit appears to be made by "Road Rover"

I agree, its VERY difficult to find anything about them. Here are a couple of links TheSniper gave me when I started looking for info.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4...ware-mods.html

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/default...rentVersion=EN

and here is a board from Road Rover (need to convert to english):
http://www.roadrover.cn/bbs/Default.asp

This is the wifi adapter he was using:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Check out my last post, I'm about to go back and add the link to the file download.

Its mostly informational stuff, I also have some firmware and such, if you want it I can email it to you, probably stuff that the average person wouldn't want, or need. Send me a pm with your email and I can send you the rest if your interested.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pcwin13,
Nice write up!
I think this thread could be and prob will drive aot of traffic here when it gets out. since your right about their not being alot if info about this particular unit. I agree to most of your comments below.
but Ill add some of my own comments hopefully to help others?

Originally Posted by Pcwiz13
Ratings/Reviews:

Install difficulty (1 easy – 10 hard) : 4
Mine required some rewiring to work correctly, nothing hard, just not plug-n-play like advertised.
4/10
I think the hardest part was stuffing all those wires in behind the dash.
Sounds like something to not complain about but wait till you see all of them Then we'll see if you agree :/
Factory Appearance: 10/10
This is one of my favorite things about this radio. It looks PERFECT in the dash, I’ve had several people look at thinking it actually was the original Ford Nav unit.
10/10
Completely agree! The unit is very factory looking down to the *****
Audio Quality: 9/10
Overall, the unit sounds great, it does offer a little more control than my original head unit did, Low, Mid, and High. But pretty much is very comparable to stock. This could also be because I still have the stock speakers.
9/10 too
IPod interface: 7/10
The IPod interface works great. It displays songs/playlists/artists/etc. just fine; also have an onscreen “IPod Dial” (the round button thing on the original iPods’) that can be used to navigate. However, this is not how I use my IPhone with it. (More on this later)
I never got this far...
??/10
DVD: 10/10
Not much to say here, plays just fine, screen looks good.
10/10
GPS Navigation: 8/10
I am using IGO8 with my unit; apparently you can use any nav software you want, as long as it runs on windows CE. Mine came with IGO8, and it works pretty well, not quite as easy to get around as my Garmin, but a suitable replacement, so I don’t have to have the Garmin on the dash anymore.
9/10
You are correct about the GPS software. I think its superior to the factory Nav software imho.
Bluetooth/Phone: 10/10
This is one area I really like about the unit. My IPhone paired just fine. Send/Receives great. Only downside I’ve seen is, with my IPhone I can’t get my contacts to sync with it. It appears to want you to “push” your contacts to the head unit, but I don’t know how this is done with the IPhone.
8/10
the Bluetooth is 9/10
the Address book is 3/10
needs some more work for this particular unit if you have an iPhone. Im told its different for every phone. But this was my experience.

Another great feature I enjoy about the Bluetooth is once I paired my IPhone with it, ALL of my phone sounds are played through the radio, no matter what screen or menu you are at. This may be annoying to some, but I like it. My phone rings, text tones, email tones, etc. all come through the head unit now. This also applies to the IPod portion of it. Once paired, and playing something in “IPod mode” a new button is on the screen that allows you to control which “source” you want sound to come out of. I enjoy using it this way to play my music because I retain the touch screen/swipe controls to pick songs.
5/10
I was on the fence about this feature. would be nice to turn off alerts?
Interface: 10/10
Overall I like the interface. It is very easy to navigate, and looks very factory. It includes Ford logos on boot up and on the home screen.
10/10
Overall: 9/10
In my opinion this is the best GPS/NAV/BLUETOOTH/AUDIO unit you can buy for the money. This unit cost around $600 and includes everything a unit costing $1000 from other manufactures would have. Not to mention it looks completely factory. Boot time is 5-8 seconds, its quick enough I usually don’t even notice it.
10/10
[quote=Pcwiz13;810786]
Thing to keep in mind:
Autodvdgps.com has horrible tech support, not to mention shipping is ~$100.
This is a 200/10
I could not agree anymore.
the thing is: Pre sales Tech support? 8/10
During the order process tech support?:6/10
Post sales tech support? 5/10
Quality of tech support? 3/10
Cost to ship unit back if you have an issue? for me it was going to be $230.00
Be sure you want this unit from THEM before ordering!.

2. I suggest the Canadian company Trustigo, they operate an eBay store, and I hear great things about their customer service.
3. Several companies make/sell these units, while they look similar, they are actually very different. Hardware/Software seems to vary based on make/model car it was built for. So just because something works for one unit, doesn’t necessarily mean it will work for yours.
I have a hard time finding anything about these units or information on fixing/modifying them. Not having an easy universal name really makes them hard to search for. However, TheSniper has found and sent me a lot of great material about unit and I’m happy to share it with anyone that may want a copy.
I'm happy to help when/if I can and will throw in my 2 cents when / if possible!
Nit Pick Items:
· Radio Stations re-name themselves. This “bug” only affects 1 station that I have programmed. I don’t know if it has to do with the type of RDS they use or what, but no matter what I name the station, it will rename to VERY random things several times throughout the day. Not a big deal to me though.
· If you leave nav or DVD on when you turn off the radio, when booted again, it will boot the nav or DVD back up again before giving you control of the radio. (only about 5-6 extra seconds, just can be annoying)

Extra Info:
· Bluetooth pair code: 1234
Things I have yet to get going right.
Like I said, I’ve seen several reviews from people saying it was plug and play, I feel like I’ve just been an extreme case. But I have yet to get my steering wheel controls completely working. Vol + is working now, and data hold steady for the other’s. Its just not “memorizing” the data. Hopefully get it up and running this weekend when I have some time to mess with it.

I hope this helps out anyone interested. There is a large following of the units in the RAV4 World, but nothing that I’ve seen in the F150’s. If you own one of these, and have anything to add please feel free to do so, I’ll add it to my “Missing Manual” also.

******USE AT YOUR OWN RISK******** had to get that out the way,

"Missing Manual Download"
http://www.mediafire.com/file/enkbmg...g%20Manual.zip

Good stuff!!!
Old 03-26-2011, 02:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got word from Trustigo that they will not have stock until April 2nd! Is autodvdgps that bad, that I should wait for Trustigo to get inventory before ordering? Or are they passable enough to make the purchase with them? Or do you know any other vendors selling this unit?

Thanks for all your help, Pcwiz13 has been passing along all your research to me. It has been a big help in the process of deciding what unit to buy...
Old 03-26-2011, 09:02 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Can we get some installed pics?
Old 03-26-2011, 12:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Will this unit fit a 2003 SCREW?

I have a 2003 Screw that always seems to be the odd-man-out in just about all F150 accessories! Does anyone know if this unit will fit my truck? Would it physically fit, but need a new wiring harness? Etc., etc.

Crutchfield lists like 2 single din units for my truck. Very disappointing!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thanks!
Old 03-27-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by NSTYXLT
Just got word from Trustigo that they will not have stock until April 2nd! Is autodvdgps that bad, that I should wait for Trustigo to get inventory before ordering? Or are they passable enough to make the purchase with them? Or do you know any other vendors selling this unit?

Thanks for all your help, Pcwiz13 has been passing along all your research to me. It has been a big help in the process of deciding what unit to buy...
I'll bet that Autodvd... does not have the unit either.
But Im sure their glad to take you $$ though. you should ask them directly.
But, to answer your question.
I would buy from Trustigo in a heartbeat compared to Autodvd...
As far as other vendors selling this exact unit? Not that I could find.
I know the unit has been on some kind of backorder due to a world wide shortage of chips. Also I understand their is a newer version of this radio
I have seen a pic and although its nice looking its not very stock looking.
I'll see if I can find the pic and post it up.

If you can stand to wait get it from Eric at Trustigo.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by bendebusk
I have a 2003 Screw that always seems to be the odd-man-out in just about all F150 accessories! Does anyone know if this unit will fit my truck? Would it physically fit, but need a new wiring harness? Etc., etc.

Crutchfield lists like 2 single din units for my truck. Very disappointing!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thanks!
I dont know what a "SCREW" is but the short /sweet on this unit is its a
standard 2 din opening radio. it has a standard wiring harness that you could
with a little sense modify to put into just about any car or boat etc...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In Dash 'OEM Fit' GPS Navigation DVD