Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Dampening help please...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 02:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dampening help please...

My truck supposedly has quiet cab technology. I am not sure what this means in way of the doors interior but would it still be wise to purchase dampening materials? If so, what should I buy and from where? Thanks for all the help posters.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:47 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Dynamat, and or other equivalent. Id recommend it, on your 4 doors at minimum... It makes a drastic difference.
The following users liked this post:
'04 FSU F-150 (12-27-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 04:29 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Dynamat

Look at Crutchfield to learn about products but buy elsewhere. Crutchfield good source for researching but you can do much better on pricing on Amazon. I bought enough Dynamat for all 4 doors from Amazon and saved big.

Last edited by Lariatwhipped; 12-29-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:12 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Originally Posted by Lariatwhipped
Look at Crutchfield to learn about products but bye elsewhere. Crutchfield good source for researching but you can do much better on pricing on Amazon. I bought enough Dynamat for all 4 doors from Amazon and saved big.
This....
Old 01-01-2016, 10:17 PM
Cauliflower ears

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have used and can recommend the following brands:
Dynamat
Hushmat
RoadKill by Stinger
DMX Deadmat by TREO Engineering

Get a small roller, it's necessary to properly install the deadening material.

Here is a picture of my trunk, recently done in Dynamat Xtreme. You don't have to have 100% coverage, I did in this case in preparation for a custom sub box housing a 13W7
Toddman38 (01-02-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 11:50 PM

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm a big fan of second skin dampener. Haven't bothered installing any yet but plan to put 100 sq feet in my crew cab eventually. Best dampener I've worked with IMO.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Stinger Expert Roadkill.
Amazing stuff. Easy to work with. Doesn't fall off.
Jake72 (11-10-2019)
Old 04-01-2016, 11:42 AM

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Dynamat, Hushmat, Stinger Expert Roadkill, etc. aren't the answer if you want a quieter cab, they're only part of the answer. Check out https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com if you want to learn how to really make a difference.

In a nutshell, the best approach is a 3 part system:
1) Use CLD tiles like Dynamat to reduce vibration and resonance, but they don't block much outside sound from getting in.
2) Use sheets of Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) to block the airborne sounds like road, wind, traffic, etc.
3) Decouple the MLV with Closed Cell Foam(CCF) like Ensolite so it won't transmit any vibration or noise by contacting the sheet metal directly.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:45 AM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Hahn
Dynamat, Hushmat, Stinger Expert Roadkill, etc. aren't the answer if you want a quieter cab, they're only part of the answer. Check out https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com if you want to learn how to really make a difference.

In a nutshell, the best approach is a 3 part system:
1) Use CLD tiles like dynamat to reduce vibration and resonance, but they don't block much outside sound from getting in.
2) Use sheets of Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) to block the airborne sounds like road, wind, traffic, etc.
3) Decouple the MLV with Closed Cell Foam(CCF) like Ensolite so it won't transmit any vibration or noise by contacting the sheet metal directly.

This 3 step is entirely correct. However, you can get pretty far by just using a CLD product like dynamat that helps with resonance and vibration (aluminum bodies), with a closed cell foam product for actual sound insulation. I'm going that route. That should get me a happy medium.

the 4 doors are the best start, but I would also recommend the back wall of the cab, and the floor area. roughly that priority order.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:47 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

OK so I have to jump in on this conversation. First off, most of the products and photos shown are for vibration dampening not sound deadening. You have to identify what you are having an issue with. If it is vibration noise then yes get a vibration dampener such as Fatmat, Second Skin Damplifier Pro, Dynamat, etc. Now if you want a sound deadener then you need a completely different type of product. It's not the same foil backed butyl stuff you are seeing in these photos rather it should be made of a thick closed cell foam backed material attached to a dense rubber mat. I love Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro materials for actual sound deadening. You'd need around 6 layers of vibration dampeners to equal one layer of sound deadeners like Luxury Liner Pro. If you need more information please ask me questions. PM me if you want pricing on anything.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Quick Reply: Dampening help please...