Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Custom box for 2016 XLT

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom box for 2016 XLT

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forums and wanted to share a picture of the subwoofer box I made. This was the second time ever that I have worked with wood and feel that it didn't come out too bad! I think I managed to get the volumetric pressure correct which was the hardest part for me since i couldn't figure out how to use those box building apps.

I fitted the box with an 8 inch American Bass and it sounds really good! Feel free to ask any questions.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:33 PM

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

The final box looks nice - any idea what the volume of the enclosure is? After you build the first one you figure out it is not that hard - just takes some time!
Old 04-16-2019, 10:16 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Garcia
I think I managed to get the volumetric pressure correct which was the hardest part for me since i couldn't figure out how to use those box building apps.
what do you mean by volumetric pressure? are you talking about the internal airspace?

Originally Posted by shellshocked
The final box looks nice - any idea what the volume of the enclosure is? After you build the first one you figure out it is not that hard - just takes some time!
figuring out volume isn't that hard. you can use just about anything to fill and measure the space. i've used water, packing peanuts, wine corks, etc.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by nineball
what do you mean by volumetric pressure? are you talking about the internal airspace?

figuring out volume isn't that hard. you can use just about anything to fill and measure the space. i've used water, packing peanuts, wine corks, etc.
Yes that it what I mean. You need to know the volume before building the box.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by shellshocked
I honestly don't remember off the top of my head. I'd have to find my notebook to find out.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:41 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Garcia
Yes that it what I mean. You need to know the volume before building the box.
not necessarily. you can build it bigger than you need, but then you would have to take some of the volume out. i did just that with one of my cars, and old 911. the rear seats were pretty much useless after you are 6 years old and i got really tied of people wanting to go for a ride and saying "it's ok, i'll cram in the back" so i got rid of the rear seats and built a rear seat delete (essentially a large shelf instead of tiny seats). i built the frame out of 7 ply birch, then glassed in the bottom. had to calculate my airspace and then remove quite a bit, so i just filled it with great stuff spray foam. once it had hardened i cut out what i needed to in order to achieve the airspace i needed.

you can also build it slightly smaller than you need and stuff it with 1lb of polyfill per cf of airspace. you can pick it up cheap at walmart or a craft store. it essentially slows down the waves the speaker makes and "tricks" the sub into thinking it has more airspace than it actually does.

that being said building an enclosure to specs the first time will always be the primary choice.

you may want to hit up the inside of the front "leg" with some black paint so the tan color of the mdf is not showing once it is mounted in the truck.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:11 AM

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Great job. I just finished something very similar to house my Focal 12" K2...

Old 04-21-2019, 11:12 AM

Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts

Lookgs good. I'll be embarking on a similar build soon to house either my Hertz HX300 or a Dayton RSS315HO.

Quick Reply: Custom box for 2016 XLT