Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

CrutchfieldJeff,a few system questions for you.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Mr. telephone pole

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Default CrutchfieldJeff,a few system questions for you.

Jeff,i am getting ready to do some upgrades on my 2012 F150 regular cab XLT with sync.I am a big fan of JL Audio so i will be useing their speekers and amp.I am planning on useing a single 10''sub,and replaceing the speekers in the doors and the tweeters in the door pillars.It has speekers in the rear cab corners,but useing the factory fader control you can tell that you don't get nearly as much or as good of sound out of them as the doors produce.Is it worthwhile to upgrade those as well,or just do away with them?Also on the 5x7 JL's,is the C5 speekers really much better than the C2's?If i run 4 speekers and a sub,i'll use either the HD 600/6 or 700/5 amp,and if i do 2 speekers and a sub,i'll use a 400/4 or the 500/3 amp.
Now for a head unit i'll probley have to wait a little while till i get some extra $$$ before i add that,but i would like to have a nice GPS indash as well as keeping my steering wheel controls.I know from reading on here that there are a few that will fit and have a kit(dash panel)available to install them.(928Alpine) Is their a dash panel avail. to install the smaller units in a 2012 and still keep the steering controls? or do i just need to save up and go with the 928? Thanks for you time and input.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:32 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

You can get a dash panel on eBay for about $30 to fit an aftermarket DD HU. You can also get a PAC or Axxess harness for retaining the steering wheel controls. The Alpine is way over priced for what you get. You may also want to try powering the front 2 speakers with the head unit power and not using the rear speakers. I don't think it would make much difference in a single cab truck. A mono sub amp with a single 10 or 12 inch sub behind the seat would be enough.
The following users liked this post:
Regular Cab (08-26-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Mr. telephone pole

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-27-2012, 10:00 AM
F150 Forum

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Regular Cab,
There are a few questions here, I'll do my best to help.

The Sync system will cause a little greif/price to a typical install.
Your plan to replace the fronts is solid, Rear Speakers generally ruin the sound-stage, but if you are more about getting loud then can be useful. Wyo11Scab, is absolutely correct I'd also just go with fronts, perhaps head unit to the rears, faded out for some fill. It would also be really cool to De-correlate them for more ambient affect.
As far as the levels of speakers by JL Audio, that can be a long answer.
If you are not planning on powering with much the C2's are ideally suited. If you are going to feed them, the C3's and the C5's will outperform the C2's.
What you get when you step up are better materials (cooling), more technology (x-over), better baskets, and frankly more engineering and testing.
All of this results in better overall sound, and certainly big improvements in the sound-stage (place for every instrument in space) and Imaging (having just one Singer or Guitar) and a speaker designed to last longer.

You didn't mention which 10" sub, but I think you would be really happy with the XD5003. JL Audio made it specifically for this type of application.

http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rF15c111/p_136XD5003/JL-AudioXD500-3.html?tp=115

I might recommend the C3's as a really solid middle ground.

http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rF15c111/p_136C3570/JL-Audio-C3-570.html?tp=105

http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rF15c11...0X.html?tp=105http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rF15c11...70.html?tp=105

As for the radio, it's a solid plan to hold off if you can't get what you like yet.
http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rF15c11...55820&skipvs=T

http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rF15c111/p_12040CR10/Antenna-Adapter.html

The Kit harness adapter and typical install gear is all free from us when you buy a radio. However Sync throws a wrench in the works.
http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rF15c11...Sfrd1&skipvs=T

We'd recommend, (not the only method) this OEM adapter which maintains Sync and all of it's safety functions. We sell it for half price when you buy a radio. It also has a direct plug in for the PAC-SWIRC steering wheel adapter.

As far as the radios go the Alpine 920 would fit well. I cannot speak to Wyo11Scab's comments on value. I can tell you that the 928, which is the same operating system as the 920, is one of the fastest navigation systems I have tested in my truck (30 radios in 2years). Some of the content (app capabilities) Wyo11Scab may be referring to will be added via firm ware (think App capabilities) in the not to distant future. Of course I am proud to say we offer the best choices in the industry.

Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
Regular Cab (08-27-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Mr. telephone pole

Thanks Jeff! What you stated is what i thought.As soon as i save up a little more $$$ i'll place my order from you guys because of YOUR help and great prices.When i am ready to place my order i'll consult you on a couple of other small questions. Thanks again for your help.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:55 AM
F150 Forum

Originally Posted by Regular Cab
Thanks Jeff! What you stated is what i thought.As soon as i save up a little more $$$ i'll place my order from you guys because of YOUR help and great prices.When i am ready to place my order i'll consult you on a couple of other small questions. Thanks again for your help.
Absolutely my pleasure.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Mr. telephone pole

Jeff,the 10" sub i'll most likely go with will be the 10w1v2-4 which i didn't mention in the other post.And i'm not looking for just a loud system,but one that sounds really good.I think i'll do the 500/3 with the Alpine920,a pair of the C5's being the 1.5"tweeters will fit in the stock location with very little work,and all the adapters and harnesses to make everything work.After adding everything up,it looks to be pretty close to $2400,so all i have to do now is get busy and make some $$. Thanks again,and if you see i've chosen something wrong,just redirect me.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:13 AM
F150 Forum

Originally Posted by Regular Cab
Jeff,the 10" sub i'll most likely go with will be the 10w1v2-4 which i didn't mention in the other post.And i'm not looking for just a loud system,but one that sounds really good.I think i'll do the 500/3 with the Alpine920,a pair of the C5's being the 1.5"tweeters will fit in the stock location with very little work,and all the adapters and harnesses to make everything work.After adding everything up,it looks to be pretty close to $2400,so all i have to do now is get busy and make some $$. Thanks again,and if you see i've chosen something wrong,just redirect me.
That will sound awesome!
Old 08-29-2012, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sorta the same

FWIW I to have a regular cab that I'm giving a little upgrade to. Mines a 2011, I have the "Premium Sound Package" but I don't have tweeters in the pillars.The same as you I am keeping stock HU till the finances improve.
But here's what I'm putting in....
JL700/5,
Infinity Reference 6030 cs 2 way for front,
Infinity Reference 6832 cf coax for rear,
Kicker CVT102 Shallow mount sub in a Atrends universal truck box,
PAC FRD 24,Sound deadener (24x36 for each door & 10 x 10 for rear), I also put the fronts in baffles.
I am about half way thru the install with just the amp & sub left to install. But even as it sits right now the sound quality is excellent.
I've been reading these forums since before I bought my truck and found the posters to invaluable (especially KCAutosound for the cutting board idea ).
Just thought I'd share.

Quick Reply: CrutchfieldJeff,a few system questions for you.