Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

A couple of Subwoofer/Amp Q's

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 04:02 PM
-_-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A couple of Subwoofer/Amp Q's

I'm looking at adding a subwoofer to my 07 f150 Screw and I need some help getting started. I've been looking on ebay for different setups and while I think I would prefer dual downfiring sub's (probably 10" if I got 2) but I did run across this setup that seems pretty good: http://cgi.ebay.com/04-08-Ford-F150-Supercrew-Custom-Subwoofer-Box-Kicker_W0QQitemZ220316483131QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar _Subwoofers_Enclosures?hash=item220316483131&_trks id=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12 |39%3A1|240%3A1307

If not for that setup, I have found several places to buy the custom dual sub box, but I don't really know what would be a good pair of woofer's to put in with regards to sound and airspace and what amp to go with.

My biggest concern is how difficult would this be for me to wire up myself. I don't have alot of know how on vehicles, but I have installed my Kenwood DNX5120 without any issues.

Found this setup that I think I like better: http://cgi.ebay.com/04-08-Ford-F150-Crew-Extended-Cab-Box-subwoofers-amp_W0QQitemZ220313516146QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Su bwoofers_Enclosures?hash=item220313516146&_trksid= p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A16|39%3A1|240%3 A1318
Now I'm thinking this setup with a kicker zx400.1
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ford-F150-SuperC...QQcmdZViewItem

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by charger77; 11-30-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Car Audio Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a downfire box would be excellent in your application, they reduce rattle and make for a great sounding box, i know i have looked into something different for my truck and have been having probs with the amount of clearance...now 1 quick solution to that is they make seat riser kits for you that gives you an additional 1.5-3 inches if your looking for more boom...ok next point pre-fab boxes (both those links you posted) look great because everything is already done and assembled, but the craftsmanship that goes into them is shotty...they claim 3/4 mdf but ive seen 5/8's and 1/2 before...both reducing the quality and sound...now to get more bang and sound quality i sugest 2-4 8" subs in a sealed box, requiring no more than 3 cu ft..which i know you have..it will get relativly loud and sound amazing, sort of a nice wharm bass that with the right track can bring it alive...that kicker zx 400.1 is a great amp!!! nice choice on that but i suggest different subs, if your set on 10"s or 12"s go for it and ill help, but i think you will be much happier with a multi sub 8" set up myself..

thanks
logan
Old 12-01-2008, 08:00 PM
-_-

Well, I don't really have the equipment (or know how) to build my own custom box and I haven't seen many 8" boxes (just your standard 2 sub setup). I'm not sold on the 12", but I'm thinking at least a couple of 10's unless you can convince me that the 8's will sound better.

According to the kicker website the 12" subs do require a minimum of 1.0 cu. ft. and a similar looking box had only .6 cu ft.(assuming this box is sealed) and the 10" requires .8. I'm extremely new to car stereos and setups, so how important is the required min/max airspace (I'd probably try and swing the 10" ones...) If you have a link, I would love to read more about the subject. I googled it but I'm not really getting definitive answers.

Thanks for the help Loganberry!!!

Dude, I just checked out SuperCrewSound.com and for the sub box and seat lift I'm looking at well over $300 and I still come up a half foot short for the 12's....

Last edited by charger77; 12-01-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Car Audio Junkie

Originally Posted by charger77
Well, I don't really have the equipment (or know how) to build my own custom box and I haven't seen many 8" boxes (just your standard 2 sub setup). I'm not sold on the 12", but I'm thinking at least a couple of 10's unless you can convince me that the 8's will sound better.

According to the kicker website the 12" subs do require a minimum of 1.0 cu. ft. and a similar looking box had only .6 cu ft.(assuming this box is sealed) and the 10" requires .8. I'm extremely new to car stereos and setups, so how important is the required min/max airspace (I'd probably try and swing the 10" ones...) If you have a link, I would love to read more about the subject. I googled it but I'm not really getting definitive answers.

Thanks for the help Loganberry!!!

Dude, I just checked out SuperCrewSound.com and for the sub box and seat lift I'm looking at well over $300 and I still come up a half foot short for the 12's....

building your own box is not that hard if you have the right items, i could help you with dimensions and what not if you want to go that route

i have 12"s, 10"s, 15"s, 18"s and 8"s all in my bedroom in multiples so ive used everything under the sun...they all sounded great but im using 4 8"s for a smaller daily set up in a downfire box and throw my 18"s in for my competitions but beside that point...im giving my 4 8"s 500 watts, its a ported box so it gets louder and they sound so good and are SO accurate, when i do my set up in my f-150 im going to go the 8's route as whell....there is a rule of thumb in the car audio world, twice as loud=twice as much power or twice as much cone area...2 8"s have almost double the cone area of a 10" sub so your getting more bang for your buck there....you can easily do 4 8"s in your own built box for under 200 bucks...thats all 4 subs and the materials needed....

if you want to go prefab box i suggest buying from a site that is very reputable so you know your getting 3/4 mdf...also look at the space from baffle (peice of wood you screw the subs into) and the floor because the gasket/surround of the sub take up about an inch..then you have XMAX on top of that...lots of things to take into consideration when thinking of downfire applications but they sound great....i say do 2-4 8"s on the larger portion of the seat (driver side + middle) and take out the jack on the right hand side and put your amps there, you can do a nice double stack amp rack and make it look real nice...

throw up a budget your willing to spend and ill get you some links and what not to look at
Old 12-01-2008, 08:44 PM
-_-

I guess I'm pretty much looking at $500-600 and that includes amp, sub, and enclosure + whatever little extra's.... I'm looking for enough thump to turn heads when the windows are rolled up. I listen to about as much Rock as I do Hip-hop/rap (does country use bass?) if that helps any :-)

I took a look at a Crutchfield guide and found a full build-your-own-sub tutorial. It looked pretty good and I could probably get a jigsaw for the weekend but I would definitely prefer a prebuilt!
Old 12-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Car Audio Junkie

I guess I'm pretty much looking at $500-600 and that includes amp, sub, and enclosure + whatever little extra's.... I'm looking for enough thump to turn heads when the windows are rolled up. I listen to about as much Rock as I do Hip-hop/rap (does country use bass?) if that helps any :-)

I took a look at a Crutchfield guide and found a full build-your-own-sub tutorial. It looked pretty good and I could probably get a jigsaw for the weekend but I would definitely prefer a prebuilt!

yes country has some good bass, can you get me a picture of your backseat, and does the back part of the back seat come down?...i need ALL measurements, including all under the seat, both portions...and once i have those ill get to work..

youll have a good sounding set up, on a minimum budget..
Old 12-01-2008, 10:40 PM
-_-

The backseat is a typical 07 F150 Super Crew setup, I'll get the diamensions probably in a couple of days unless another member (or google...) has done the work for me.....
Old 12-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Car Audio Junkie

The backseat is a typical 07 F150 Super Crew setup, I'll get the diamensions probably in a couple of days unless another member (or google...) has done the work for me.....

ok, i have the ext cab, so does the back part of your seat fold down? if so there is space back there for amps
Old 12-02-2008, 11:03 AM
-_-

the rear seats flip up but i have taken the back of the seat off before and i believe there is room for a couple of amps just wouldnt be too accessible
Old 12-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Car Audio Junkie

the rear seats flip up but i have taken the back of the seat off before and i believe there is room for a couple of amps just wouldnt be too accessible

ok so its just like mine then, the bottom of mine flips up but the back can only be taken off, ill take some measurements of mine and get back to you....are you running your stock deck or plan on changing that (you will get much better sound with a aftermarket one) unless you spend more for line drivers and what not. Did you decide if you wanted to do 10"s, 12"s or 8"s?

Quick Reply: A couple of Subwoofer/Amp Q's