Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Couple MS-FRD1 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Couple MS-FRD1 questions

I searched a thread somewhere but cant find it now.

Installing a Pioneer AVH-X3800 and was wondering about the mute wire coming off the HU harness. What do I connect it too on the FRD1? Do I cut the brown mute loop or do I connect it connect it to the brown wire that's coming off the other plug?

The installation manual says...

The Mute loop (If not cut) will turn the ACC output off when either the SYNC voice prompts or Bluetooth phone are active. If the aftermarket radio has a mute input cut this loop & connect the outer brown wire to the mute input.

So im assuming I cut the loop but what it is the Outer Brown Wire? Is that the mute output or is that the lonely brown wire on the the other plug?

2nd question. Im also installing a MicroBypass. Simple install but do I also connect the parking brake output from the FRD1 or just leave that alone.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:28 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by ZUGtastic
I searched a thread somewhere but cant find it now.

Installing a Pioneer AVH-X3800 and was wondering about the mute wire coming off the HU harness. What do I connect it too on the FRD1? Do I cut the brown mute loop or do I connect it connect it to the brown wire that's coming off the other plug?

The installation manual says...

The Mute loop (If not cut) will turn the ACC output off when either the SYNC voice prompts or Bluetooth phone are active. If the aftermarket radio has a mute input cut this loop & connect the outer brown wire to the mute input.

So im assuming I cut the loop but what it is the Outer Brown Wire? Is that the mute output or is that the lonely brown wire on the the other plug?

2nd question. Im also installing a MicroBypass. Simple install but do I also connect the parking brake output from the FRD1 or just leave that alone.
Been 5 years since I used one of these. If I remember correctly....

Yes you cut the loop or your radio will turn off every time you use the PAC.

You connect the radio mute wire to one side of the loop you just cut but I can't remember which side. Sorry

I think I connected all the new radio's parking brake and the FRD1 together with the Micro bypass.

I would try everything before you put the dash back together...

What year truck do you have? Mine was a 2011 and was before the Maestro was invented. You do know that you will need a steering wheel control harness also?

The Maestro eliminates all the hassle of the install...
Old 12-06-2016, 01:53 PM

Mine is an '11 as well...

so what is the stand alone brown wire coming off the plug (the plug you plug into wire from truck itself).

and yes I have the swi-rc
Old 12-06-2016, 06:30 PM

This many wires is just stupid anyways.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:32 PM

Mine is an '11 as well...

so what is the stand alone brown wire coming off the plug (the plug you plug into wire from truck itself).

and yes I have the swi-rc

I agree about 2 many wires.

Here is what I found.

Initially, the brown wires as replied to here is intended to be connected to a mobile phone (if one is installed). This wire senses if the phone is in use or ringing and would automatically "mute" the stereo. The illumination orange wire and the orange/white has no counterpart similarly with the brown hence they will not be used and therefore could "do without". Tape / cap them.

What concerns me is that the instructions say when using a SWC the loops should remain intact??
Like I said it has been 5 years since I used one. Maestro made all of this easy to do. I didn't like the noise the FRD1 made during sync

• The MS-FRD1 provides a SWC output connector attached to the SYNC-HAR harness.
For ease of installation, all necessary connections for a SWI-X, ECL2, JACK, or PS have
been made for you.
• When using this SWC output connector the radio specific SWC interface must be
programmed for version 2 (refer to SWC interface programming instructions for exact
programming sequence).
Both loops should also remain in tact.
• When programming a SWC interface the MS-FRD1 must be in the “SYNC Idle” mode.
Otherwise you cannot program the Track Forward, Track Back, & Media buttons. Press &
hold the Media button on the SWC until the LCD displays “SYNC Idle”. You may now begin
the programming process. When programming the Media button do not hold it down for
longer than one second as this will turn on SYNC mode on the MS-FRD1.

Last edited by Wyo11Scab; 12-06-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab

Both loops should also remain in tact.
This is referring to the brown loops on the plug that plugs into the SWI. In which there are 2 brown loops. I'll just cut the other brown loops that in the picture and go from there I guess
Old 12-07-2016, 05:57 PM

This is referring to the brown loops on the plug that plugs into the SWI. In which there are 2 brown loops. I'll just cut the other brown loops that in the picture and go from there I guess
I would call PAC for more info
Old 12-07-2016, 10:18 PM

Well I got it in and the SWI half-assed programed. I got volume and the Preset +/-. It's good enough for now, will probably end up switching to the Maestro later on.

Now I got to figure why I have interference when I make a phone call.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:27 AM

Well I got it in and the SWI half-assed programed. I got volume and the Preset +/-. It's good enough for now, will probably end up switching to the Maestro later on.

Now I got to figure why I have interference when I make a phone call.
That is another reason I didn't like the FRD1. I over modulates the call.