Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Connecting RCA's to the WPT1212

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 08:04 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Got my answer, nothing to see here

*EDIT* In a moment of pure genius I didn't wire my RCA cable correctly, thanks to duxslayer for waking me up. Problem solved.

Need some help folks, I had my sub running off high level inputs ++ wired to + on WPT and -- to - on the WPT. I decided to test out RCA's and low level so put WPT + to one RCA and - to the other. Obviously this caused all sorts of signal issues.

So plugging only a single RCA into the sub low level input I have pretty much problem free signal and greatly increased range to where I could dial back my settings and fine tune it a bit more. It didn't matter which RCA or which position I plugged it into as long as it was solo.

My question is if I should be running WPT + and - into a single RCA? The sub only has a L and R RCA input option.

(2015+ XLT, current FORSCAN setting is Aux Speaker only. It worked ok with Aux Sub and Aux Speaker wired into the High Level harness. I haven't tried changing back to Aux sub and plugging in both RCA's again yet)

Thanks in advance

Last edited by DogHauler; 06-02-2017 at 10:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
duxslayer (09-10-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 09:46 PM

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

In the factory side of the subwoofer plug that your wpt1212 plugs into can you tell me what the following wires in the picture are going to? I know the bigger brown and red is +12 volts and the big black and purple is the ground. Any idea what the other wires are?
Attached Thumbnails Connecting RCA's to the WPT1212-img_2286.jpg  
Old 05-31-2017, 09:48 PM

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

The small black, small brown, and the purple/white , yellow/white. Also in the harness is two more wires wrapped in another black coating of tape.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:06 PM

I haven't looked into any of the wiring past the harness, as the point of my install was not to have to do that. My sub works good, I just want to make sure I've got the best signal going to it possible.

Maybe the no door removal thread or the factory sub thread will have your answer since both have people who couldn't or wouldn't use the WPT method and have discussions about door wiring. Good luck
Old 06-01-2017, 05:16 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DogHauler
Need some help folks, I had my sub running off high level inputs ++ wired to + on WPT and -- to - on the WPT. I decided to test out RCA's and low level so put WPT + to one RCA and - to the other. Obviously this caused all sorts of signal issues.

So plugging only a single RCA into the sub low level input I have pretty much problem free signal and greatly increased range to where I could dial back my settings and fine tune it a bit more. It didn't matter which RCA or which position I plugged it into as long as it was solo.

My question is if I should be running WPT + and - into a single RCA? The sub only has a L and R RCA input option.

(2015+ XLT, current FORSCAN setting is Aux Speaker only. It worked ok with Aux Sub and Aux Speaker wired into the High Level harness. I haven't tried changing back to Aux sub and plugging in both RCA's again yet)

Thanks in advance
Not sure that it matter if it's a mono output amp. My JL amp is a dedicated mono sub amp and I wired two RCAs to the WPT1212's + and - leads. I can remove either RCA from the amp input and it yields no change.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:26 PM

*EDIT* Deleted to avoid contaminating search. Will write up my idiocy when I do the subs review and install guide

Last edited by DogHauler; 06-02-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:17 PM

Are you set at Aux Sub or Aux Speaker in FORScan?

When I had both RCA's plugged in it was constant noise like the sub was fighting itself.

With the + or - RCA input by itself into either L or R it sounds fine. I'm wondering if it's my FORScan setting (which is the hardest to change fast, just because it's hot as heck outside when I get home from work so would have to wait til this weekend to change) or if I can put the + and - into the same RCA with my current setting and possibly get a full signal without issue (this is the easier thing to try but I'll have to possibly get better RCA's since there isn't much space in the terminal to screw in 2 wires). I don't think the amp is mono because then it would only have 1 input I thought, but I'm not very technical when it comes to speakers and obviously you state yours is mono and has 2 input ports for the RCAs

The only setup I can find with people with the same sub as me, they are using + and - from speakers through a line converter to an RCA from each side. Can't find anyone using a Ford vehicle and the WPT setup. I can always revert to high level which is how I had it before, but I had to max all settings to get acceptable bass. With the current setup I have plenty of boom and lots of room to tweak, but it doesn't feel right not employing both + and - when people are still debating whether it's actually combined L/R signal going through it.
I'm set to Aux Sub - not sure I follow the rest of the above. I used the + and - from the connector - middle two wires opposite the thumbpress release. I soldered the + from the harness to the center conductor on the RCAs and the - to the outer shield wire of the RCA.
DogHauler (06-02-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 08:33 PM

*EDIT* Deleted to avoid contaminating search. Will write up my idiocy when I do the subs review and install guide

Last edited by DogHauler; 06-02-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:52 PM

Yep that was the issue, had to tape the - to the outside since the cheapo rca was missing hardware. I can buy a quality solder plug now and have a few beers and forget this ever happened Seriously thanks for helping me catch my derp moment.
duxslayer (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 01:33 PM

Yep that was the issue, had to tape the - to the outside since the cheapo rca was missing hardware. I can buy a quality solder plug now and have a few beers and forget this ever happened Seriously thanks for helping me catch my derp moment.
Happy you got it worked out. What's up with "doghauler" handle? Trainer?