Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

confused about component speakers..

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 05:41 PM

Received 137 Likes on 73 Posts

Default confused about component speakers..

2014 XLT with tweeters in the pillars.

just upgraded head unit with the Alpine X009-FD2 which is built-in amplifier (18 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels) RMS Power Bandwidth 20-20kHz... I can say that with the stock speakers it sounds very good-.

I would like to save some cash and do the speakers myself before adding an Amp with SUB( professionally installed )..

MY QUESTION: should i do Component in front with Regular 2 way in rear.?

thinking these for the fronts - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136C357...io-C3-570.html

but un-decided on the rears-. are components worth the trouble??
Old 05-01-2015, 07:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey freddy, I am not by any stretch an expert, but here is what I did:
I took out the speakers in all four doors and replaced them with JBL's all around. In the front I went to JBL GTO8608C component speakers to take advantage of the provided spots for the tweeters. They seem to be a medium price pair but they sound great. Much better than stock.
In the back I went with JBL GTO8628 coaxials. Again a middle of the road set with great reviews. They sound great as well but to be honest I have them turned down . I don't listen to them all that much because I think it sounds better with just the fronts audible.
I've seen on other forums where people way into car audio say to not even put rears in. The old "you don't listen to an orchestra behind you" thing. I figured there would be occasion for someone back there to listen to some nice tunes.
I hope this was helpful, although I think there's a lot of ways to approach the car audio thing and still sound great. BTW those speakers look awesome.. just waaaaay more than Mr. Cheepo here was willing to spend.

Last edited by KodeBrown; 05-01-2015 at 07:47 PM. Reason: added info
Old 05-01-2015, 08:12 PM

thanks Kode. my theory is to spend a little more up front then the rears. how was the install? did you do it yourself? if so any resizing of the holes or the tweets?

thanks-
Old 05-01-2015, 09:05 PM

The install was pretty straight forward all the way around, although I did have to do a little fabbing with the A- pillar tweets . I made the hold downs from scrap bendable plastic I had in the shop. Nothing you couldn't do if your a bit handy. Everything that I needed to know, I found on this forum, e.g. removal of door panels , pillars etc. I didn't need to resize the holes for this particular set of tweeters.
Next I'll add a nice head unit like yours and a sub.

Last edited by KodeBrown; 05-01-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by KodeBrown
The install was pretty straight forward all the way around, although I did have to do a little fabbing with the A- pillar tweets . I made the hold downs from scrap bendable plastic I had in the shop.

was that to hold the tweets in place ??
Old 05-02-2015, 12:22 AM

Yes a little improvising was needed as usual. Very secure now . I think most aftermarket stuff like this needs a tweek or two
Old 05-02-2015, 01:10 AM
Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Pioneer head unit, Alpine 5-channel amp, MTX sub, and Alpine Type-R components all around in my truck. The front tweeters I mounted in the stock location, and I put the rears up high in the panel that covers where the seatbelt goes in the upper door, keeping them more or less in-line with the fronts. Took me maybe 10 extra minutes for both sides to zip out the tweeter hole than if I had 2-way speakers. Does the placement of the tweeters make a difference over running a 2-way speaker? Honestly, I can't tell all that much, but I will notice a difference if a rear seat passenger bumps the tweeters to point forward instead of back towards the rear window. So the potential is there. Do you want to drill holes in your interior panels? If not, then just run 2-way speakers. If you don't mind drilling, then adding the tweeters takes a few extra minutes and a holesaw
Whether or not to go cheaper on the rears versus the fronts all comes down to tastes. I like having my speakers matched and I have the fade adjusted a touch to the front because the rears are closer to my ears. The sound comes out balanced front-to-rear and I don't feel like the sound comes from any one direction more than another.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:44 AM
scp

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

If going with JL audio...use the C5's up front....the tweeters on the C3's won't fit the factory opening and the the C5's provide a cleaner install....as far as the rears the C3's would be fine with tweets mounted inside woofs or you could use C2 coaxials. I found out about the C3's the hard way.
The following users liked this post:
freddyttt (05-02-2015)
Old 05-02-2015, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by scp
If going with JL audio...use the C5's up front....the tweeters on the C3's won't fit the factory opening and the the C5's provide a cleaner install....as far as the rears the C3's would be fine with tweets mounted inside woofs or you could use C2 coaxials. I found out about the C3's the hard way.
Crutchfield is saying the
JL Audio C3-570 will not fit the rear door....

the JL Audio C2-525X will...
Old 05-02-2015, 10:40 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by freddyttt
Crutchfield is saying the
JL Audio C3-570 will not fit the rear door....

the JL Audio C2-525X will...
Like scp said go with the C5s in the front so the tweeters will fit. I have the C2-570s in my rear doors and they fit just fine. I see no reason the C3-570 will not work. Although I don't think it's worth messing with a external crossover for the rears.

Quick Reply: confused about component speakers..