Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Common Rattles

Old 04-18-2017, 09:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Common Rattles

Ok everyone, I did some searching and didnt find much. I wanted to start a thread for those of us that have subs in our trucks and are getting odd rattles. Ill start off!

I have a 2011 Lariat Crew cab with a Kenwood HU, a Rockfor Fosgate 500 Watt amp and 2 12" Alpine BassLine subs in a Rockville box under the seat. It sounds excellent, however, with the windows up, I am getting some pretty good rattles. The most nasty one is coming from the rear view mirror. It's not the entire mirror or the plug going into the back, but something inside the mirror itself. I will need to take it apart one of these days and see what is rattling inside. I also have a rattle in the roof somewhere, but have been unable to hunt it down. Any ideas?
Old 04-19-2017, 08:56 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Roof rattle is guaranteed in just about all cars, especially trucks, imo. I removed my headliner to find no installation at all. Just metal. I applied a layer of sound deadener along with a layer of closed cell foam. Results, no more rattles. I may go back and remove the headliner and apply some mlv(mass loaded vinyl). This would be to keep out unwanted outside noise. I basically did this process to my entire truck and even applied mlv to the floor,doors, and back wall. The roof is the only area I didn't do. The difference is night and day.

Last edited by Red96; 04-19-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Red96
Roof rattle is guaranteed in just about all cars, especially trucks, imo. I removed my headliner to find no installation at all. Just metal. I applied a layer of sound deadener along with a layer of closed cell foam. Results, no more rattles. I may go back and remove the headliner and apply some mlv(mass loaded vinyl). This would be to keep out unwanted outside noise. I basically did this process to my entire truck and even applied mlv to the floor,doors, and back wall. The roof is the only area I didn't do. The difference is night and day.
Yeah, I was thinking about putting dynamat on it. I just dont know how much I want to dig into it haha.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by kpelzman
Yeah, I was thinking about putting dynamat on it. I just dont know how much I want to dig into it haha.
Its simple and not really expensive man. I actually went with a brand called Noico sound deadener on amazon and the same brand ccf(closed cell foam). spent maybe $100-$120 total for both. you will thank your self afterwards!
Old 04-19-2017, 03:04 PM

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Originally Posted by Red96
Listen to this guy! He gets it!
The following users liked this post:
Red96 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 03:18 PM
Let the Fun Begin

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

I ended up sound damping my truck right after i got it....it was the single best mod i ever did. Its like driving in a vault..not a single rattle, and super low noise road ( i am driving on 35 inch mud terrains)

Everydoor is done like this , and the entire truck (CREWcab) has all 3 layers floor and ceiling

The whole truck is done but ill show just the door for an example...

Both outer and inner metal skins with damping material
Name:  image_zpsqsklqd58.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  216.8 KB

this picture shows the large whole covered with a plexiglass piece(which was covered in dynomat)
Name:  image_zps1c1zai10.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  466.8 KB

Shows the CCF over the whole door...
Name:  image_zpsgeg0tmss.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  408.3 KB

and then MLV over the top of everything...
Name:  image_zps4przqf8m.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  436.7 KB

AND lastly the door card before installing....

Name:  image_zpsc8vc8tmb.jpeg
Views: 384
Size:  251.3 KB
Old 04-19-2017, 03:23 PM

Default Pics of mine.....so far. :)

Old 04-19-2017, 03:33 PM
Let the Fun Begin

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

How do you like that damping material goose? is the MLV part of the damping material?

To the OP...every car has rattles...its HOW you handle the rattles that makes the difference ;-)
Old 04-19-2017, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by TimelessR1
How do you like that damping material goose? is the MLV part of the damping material?

To the OP...every car has rattles...its HOW you handle the rattles that makes the difference ;-)
I used Raamat for the floor back wall and inner door skins, wanted to try Soundskins so i used it for the outter door skins and most panels because it combined both material into one. Its nice...I like it. The last material I used is whats on the door panels...3M Thinsulate. Its an accoustical and thermal barrier. Really REALLY impressed with it. I can guaranteed without a doubt it is quieter in my truck than any car I can think about, cost no object. Its the layering of material that works the magic! Treat the panels for vibration, then for noise, and lastly AGAIN for even further noise reduction/rejection.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:42 PM

Timeless and Goose...Loving it guys!! Nice to see there are others who takes their sound serious!
The following users liked this post:
2016BoostedGreyGoose (04-19-2017)

Search this Thread