Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Can we/I have our cake and eat it too???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can we/I have our cake and eat it too???

Ok, this may be a bit lengthy so bear with me please.
I have read the threads from here and numerous other places about the Rosen and Carshow Multimedia/NAV units that look somewhat like factory radios. The Pros - look factory, provide reasonable navigation, provide screen for song scrolling for USB device (to try and find the dang songs since there may be thousands on those devices), comes with backup camera, installs without modules like PAC audio adapters, nice looking bezel for the most part.
Cons - sound is so-so at best, navigation may not be very accurate, screen resolution is poor, backup camera is cheap looking and installs on handle
Ok, now for the aftermarket stuff...
Pros - sound can make you wet your pants, screen resolution is suh-weet, can scroll through thousands of songs even in folders on USB device, bluetooth, backup camera ready, navigation (or at least navigation add-on ready)
Cons - the PAC audio crap for steering controls SUCKS (I used the SWI-RC), PAC audio crap for sync retention SUCKS (MSFRD1), cost of units unless you decide you want to do add-ons later.

Now, for my question about cake and eating it too. Why can no one provide a stereo with great sound, nice screen resolution, steering wheel controls, and sync interface in one package??? Has anyone even heard of something like this?
I bought the Pioneer AVH-P2400BT, with the high hopes of connecting to my 2012 Ford F150 Screw, with Sync no Navigation and bought the PAC audio to retain Sync and steering controls, but they are buggy at best and a PAIN IN THE ***** to install! So I look forward to your comments. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:39 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by invadernoob
Ok, this may be a bit lengthy so bear with me please.
I have read the threads from here and numerous other places about the Rosen and Carshow Multimedia/NAV units that look somewhat like factory radios. The Pros - look factory, provide reasonable navigation, provide screen for song scrolling for USB device (to try and find the dang songs since there may be thousands on those devices), comes with backup camera, installs without modules like PAC audio adapters, nice looking bezel for the most part.
Cons - sound is so-so at best, navigation may not be very accurate, screen resolution is poor, backup camera is cheap looking and installs on handle
Ok, now for the aftermarket stuff...
Pros - sound can make you wet your pants, screen resolution is suh-weet, can scroll through thousands of songs even in folders on USB device, bluetooth, backup camera ready, navigation (or at least navigation add-on ready)
Cons - the PAC audio crap for steering controls SUCKS (I used the SWI-RC), PAC audio crap for sync retention SUCKS (MSFRD1), cost of units unless you decide you want to do add-ons later.

Now, for my question about cake and eating it too. Why can no one provide a stereo with great sound, nice screen resolution, steering wheel controls, and sync interface in one package??? Has anyone even heard of something like this?
I bought the Pioneer AVH-P2400BT, with the high hopes of connecting to my 2012 Ford F150 Screw, with Sync no Navigation and bought the PAC audio to retain Sync and steering controls, but they are buggy at best and a PAIN IN THE ***** to install! So I look forward to your comments. Thanks in advance.
Alpine and Kenwood both make one but they have issues also. IMO you are doing what you need to do at this time.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Wyo11Scab! Did you do any mods to yours? I guess that it'll have to do then.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:59 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by invadernoob
Thanks Wyo11Scab! Did you do any mods to yours? I guess that it'll have to do then.
I did what you did but used JVC HU with BT.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Okay so this maybe an intense posting...

If you want the truly best module that offers SYNC retention along with SWC retention, and all other features buy the FRST by Axxess (Metra) Electronics.

FRST Manual

Sonicelectronix

I promise you this is by far the best harness I have messed with for your generation of trucks. The iDataLink Maestro is just awful, and has nothing but issues. I know Alpine has their full factory replacement as well, but I unfortunately haven't touched this product yet. Also I don't recommend anything PAC related their company doesn't manufacture the best product in the world, but it's functional for what it is.

You are allowed a double din or single din radio, and the FRST actually provides a lot of the outputs for a double din radio including parking brake, vss, and illumination. You may go a different route with the parking brake feature, but do keep in mind if you do that is highly illegal just warning you.

Honestly I prefer aftermarket product because there is a lot more choice in my opinion for everything. You have a larger product base for deciding what you require, need, or desire in your vehicle. Also do you have the sony sound system or just the regular stock system? One will be factory amplified one will not be. The sony system if applicable to you will not matter as far as sound because all the headunit will do is reproduce the same signals your factory headunit already does. If you don't have this system, then the speakers will gain a little more power from the aftermarket product versus the factory system. Message me if you have questions that need answered.

P.S. Well I suppose that posting wasn't that intense haha.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:27 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't know anything about Ford Sync, but I just bought the Kenwood DNX6190HD and noticed that the nicer models have the Ford Sync and everything you were talking about. I love my new head unit. Might want to look into this? Not sure, just though I'd throw it out there.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...tion/DNX9990HD

Car Portal for iDatalink - A real solution for Ford SYNC owners.In a collaborative effort with ADS (Automotive Data Solutions), a Ford SYNC customer can now keep the existing SYNC features like iPod control, Bluetooth, Satellite radio and 911 assist, and seamlessly interface them with Kenwood’s advanced user interface and Garmin navigation system found on a range of Kenwood DNX receivers to communicate and display the on-board SYNC features of the car. The optional iDatalink interface/wiring harness will give owners of compatible Ford/Lincoln vehicles the best navigation option on the market by adding an affordable Kenwood DNX model as an alternative to expensive factory navigation solutions.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:27 AM
F150 Forum

Received 147 Likes on 86 Posts

Hi,

You can also try any of the 2013 Kenwood Navi units. When used with Maestro, they have a lot to offer. See here for details: https://www.f150forum.com/f30/maestr...ention-192560/

Cheers,
Old 03-04-2013, 10:35 AM

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts

Any updates to using the maestro to change the factory nav out and retain the a/c controls like in the Mustang?
Old 03-04-2013, 11:35 AM
F150 Forum

Received 147 Likes on 86 Posts

Working on it. It is possible. However, what are you planning to do for a dash kit? The HVAC and radio controls are on a single circuit board that will be removed with the radio body (the DDIN part hidden behind the panel). Once you do this, the currently available dash kits don't work since they have holes for the normal climate control *****.

So, we can do it, but wondering how people will be able to use it.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Old 03-04-2013, 11:41 AM

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Option 3 - tablet install

Pros - cheap, runs fast, better UI, easy install, looks factory, internetz!! (if you hotspot your phone), no PAC, no cutting wires, keeps steering wheel controls

Cons - no back up camera (yet), still uses crappy factory radio

Quick Reply: Can we/I have our cake and eat it too???