Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Big audio question need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big audio question need help

Ok so I have set out on this long hard journey to make a custom fiberglass box that will have cushions on it to keep functionality of passenger capacity...
Here's my problem Someone told me I need to port my enclosure which I agree but I'm not experienced enough to figure out a good sound frequency for the subs and the right port size can someone please help?... I think round ports will be easier with sonotube... Sense the box will be fiberglassed I don't know if I will be able to divide the enclosure but I have an idea on how to divide it if I have to...

Here's what I know
Speakers
2x DC level 3 12's
Suggested port enclosure volume= 1.5 ft3
Fs= 28.3 Hrz

Enclosure
Width= 56"
height= 19"
top depth= 19"
bottom depth= 25"
all together v= 6.019 ft3
If I divided it v= 2.648 ft3 per chamber

I want the port(s) open in the front
Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance
Old 02-18-2011, 08:06 PM

I've done some of my own research and found out how some of this ported stuff works just kinda need an idea for a good size on a round port... The Internet port calculators are telling me I need a MINIMUM of like 10"???... That's only two inches less my sub size that just dont seem right and I can't have that coming out of the front of my box! Hahaha
Old 02-19-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I have built quite a few car and truck systems over the years (here are a few) and have found the sealed boxes to perform better for me. That is not to say I have not heard some really nice ported boxes, but I tried several of both and always went back to sealed. I use all ported in my home theater.

You can download WinISD to help with the box and port size. Some of our guys from the home theater side of DIY subs might be able to help you on the box as well.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:21 PM

I appreciate the input and very nice eork btw... I'm very close to saying screw the port but I really want deep smooth lows... I was reading about this software but I currently don't have a computer just an IPhone... Here's a quick question I know you can have too much air space but in your opinion if both subs have a suggested air space (sealed) of 1ft3 what would be too much?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

You can get smooth and deep lows with sealed... and in my case, sealed has always been smoother and deeper for me.

1ft^3 is fairly common for one sub sealed, but it really depends on the sub. The manufacturer usually gives the proper size for ported and sealed in their specs, if not, a dealer who sells those could tell you quickly what size would work best.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:08 AM

Thanks man I appreciate all the help and I'll let you know how it turns out
Old 02-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Vrod21

Have you considered porting and filling with polypropylene (pillow stuffing)? It is a kind of hybrid between the two. The polypropylene slows the reverb. inside the box and makes for a much crisper sound all around. I did it to a box I installed in the back of an old Toyota pickup X-tracab. The box had 2-12's and 2-10's and not nearly enough air space for the subs. I filled it with Polypropylene and it was one of the better systems I have heard. Just a thought.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Go to www.thrillercaraudio.com and order a 6in. Aeroport kit, I believe the length is 18" altogether so it will work in your box.. It's about 50$ and these subs will sound ok sealed but ported is optimum. Once u get your port make an mdf ring just like u would with a sub and fiberglass that into Ur box you will be very pleased with this. How much power are you using. Because I can run 7k to a lvl4 with lvl5 coils these subs will come to life with alot of power
Also dc like large boxes idk if u already have these subs but maybe try some sundown Sa12 optimum is 1.7 cubes per ported or tens 1cube flat ported.

Last edited by bigshane90; 02-20-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:29 PM

I haven't decided on an amp yet I got two kx 400.1 but I think I want to go with either a boss or a power Aucustik theyre affordable

Quick Reply: Big audio question need help