Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Behind Rear seat Subwoofer and box

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Behind Rear seat Subwoofer and box

Hey guys, fairly new to the f150 world however its time for some audio upgrades. In my 18 Supercrew XLT.

needing some advice on what box/sub woofer will fit BEHIND the rear seat and have the best sound. not looking for earth shattering bass but a good clean crisp sound with some decent punch. i cannot do under the seat as my seats are almost always folded up due to my dog being back there all the time. i have heard the factory kicker system and i am not impressed at all with it so i need something better than that.

i already have a 300.1 amp i plan to use to power this.

who has done it and what sub . box did you use?
Old 12-21-2018, 04:15 PM

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

This is my old setup. It's a Rockford Fosgate R2S-1x10 loaded enclosure, and with all the research I did this is the only enclosure(aside from a custom made box) that would fit a 10" sub behind the rear seat and still allow the seats to fold all the way up and latch. I did have to do a bit of modifying back there to get it to fit in just right, however. I had to cut out the rear padding against the back wall, had to cut the small amount of carpet on the floor back there, and I also trimmed the the stud for the seatbelt anchor that's right in the way. Then I drilled an 1-1/8" hole in the bottom of the box, plugged and sealed it to slip over the nut for the seatbelt anchor so the box sat flush on the floor. Unfortunately, in the end I went a different route and put a bigger sub under the seat on the floor. The Rockford was great but I also installed aftermarket components/coaxials in the front and rear doors and it couldn't quite keep up with those so I ended up going bigger anyway. It did sound a lot better than the stock Sony sub, and if you aren't planning on running big power to the front and rear channels it should fit the bill just fine.

The following users liked this post:
rongstad (02-11-2021)
Old 01-04-2019, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by hotrod_renegade
This is my old setup. It's a Rockford Fosgate R2S-1x10 loaded enclosure, and with all the research I did this is the only enclosure(aside from a custom made box) that would fit a 10" sub behind the rear seat and still allow the seats to fold all the way up and latch. I did have to do a bit of modifying back there to get it to fit in just right, however. I had to cut out the rear padding against the back wall, had to cut the small amount of carpet on the floor back there, and I also trimmed the the stud for the seatbelt anchor that's right in the way. Then I drilled an 1-1/8" hole in the bottom of the box, plugged and sealed it to slip over the nut for the seatbelt anchor so the box sat flush on the floor. Unfortunately, in the end I went a different route and put a bigger sub under the seat on the floor. The Rockford was great but I also installed aftermarket components/coaxials in the front and rear doors and it couldn't quite keep up with those so I ended up going bigger anyway. It did sound a lot better than the stock Sony sub, and if you aren't planning on running big power to the front and rear channels it should fit the bill just fine.

do you remember how much room you had to work with? and did you end up cutting the piece back there to make it fit?
Old 01-04-2019, 11:24 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Tons of resources out there. https://www.google.com/search?client...d+the+seat+sub
The following users liked this post:
Sainte (03-15-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 11:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the Pioneer TS-SWX2502 which is a 10" shallow sub in a small enclosure. the box is shaped to be a down fire under the seat but it does fit behind. Although, in its current state there is some difficulty folding up the rear seat but I think if you trimmed the "feet" off, it would be fine. I havent done that to mine yet but I plan to next time I have a few free hours on a Saturday. The sub is rated for 300w RMS.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:02 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I am making my own out of birch and find a carpet to cover it to closely match the oem carpet as I can. It will house (2) 6.5" subwoofers and the enclosure will be vented at 34hz. The stock amp and box are going bye-bye and being replaced with a DSR-1 DSP and Alpine V9 5-channel amplifier. The stock tweeters are gone and replaced with a 2" "wideband" CDT ES-2 driver, these babies fit FANTASTIC behind the stock grills.
Doors have been sealed up and deadened with MLV and foam and some Alpine 6x9's to replace the stockers, and I will not be running any rear door speakers as they basically ruin the sound stage.
With time alignment and tuning this system will perform nicely and look pretty much stock.
I have a build log going on over at diyma.com https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...h-project.html

stock door

sealing it up

alpine 6x9

initial fitting

waiting for glue to dry

Last edited by therapture; 01-11-2019 at 01:34 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 01-11-2019, 01:34 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Default And the tweeter replacements....

factory tweet

trimming the edges to fit the new driver

sitting behind the stock cutout, not bad at all!

Mounted with washers holding the driver down, even using the stock mounts.

Looks factory!
Old 03-15-2019, 06:54 PM

Hello Kammi.

I just bought the same Rockford Fosgate sub to install behind the back seat in my 2012 F150, so I found your post and photo very interesting and helpful. One thing I don't quite understand though is where you talk about drilling a 1-1/8" hole in the bottom of the box and "plugged and sealed it to slip over the nut". If the hole is in the bottom of the box how do you plug and seal it after the box is sitting over the nut? I'm just not getting it.

Would appreciate it if you could elaborate on this (or maybe someone who does understand it could explain).
Thanks,
Dean
Old 03-15-2019, 09:38 PM

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Check out this thread for info on a kit from LMI Welding that allows you to move the rear seat up a few inches. This will give a ton of room for bigger boxes behind the seats.

https://www.f150forum.com/f30/making...w-seat-439428/
Old 03-16-2019, 12:12 AM

Received 198 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Sainte
Check out this thread for info on a kit from LMI Welding that allows you to move the rear seat up a few inches. This will give a ton of room for bigger boxes behind the seats.

https://www.f150forum.com/f30/making...w-seat-439428/
I got that kit the other day, it was pretty easy to install and Lee (from LMI) was pretty helpful

Quick Reply: Behind Rear seat Subwoofer and box