Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Audio system overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 06:17 PM

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Audio system overhaul

It's been a several weeks in the making but i've gutted my entire system and finally finished all of the install yesterday, really wanted more of everything from an audio perspective from stock. So here we go all components replaced.

Infinity 6x8's 682.11cf speakers. Awesome, awesome sound from those speakers, really nice clarity and pretty decent mid bass..they bottom out at 49hz, one of the lower freq speakers I found in that size.

Maestro RR unit to maintain steering wheel controls and sync if you wish. Other than keeping steering wheel controls best thing I found with this unit is integrating OBD system into the HU...very nice.

Kenwood DNX691HD HU. So far very pleased, picked because Kenwood works almost seamlessly with the Maestro unit. Very nice HU..can adjust 16 band EQ and gain per source if you wish, Nav is awesome and works quite well, surprisingly the HD radio tuner sounds really good much better than Sirius XM which sounds awful, whole separate topic on that crap. Music from the USB source sounds fantastic and really, really crisp.

Rockford Fosgate Prime R400 4D. Very nice smaller amp that delivers 100wRMS x4 @ 2ohms...actual output from factory QC says it delivers 483 watts x 4 which matches very well to the Infinity speakers which are rated 100w rms +/- 25%. Set this up behind pass rear seat vertically on stand I threw together without mounting into rear deck and removing the carpet...stand which is kind of like a book end is very stable and doesn't seem to move at very much at all. Amp is real nice, brings the whole system together. Sounds everymuch as good as my Bose 4 speaker system in my DD Nissan Altima.

A few pics below for the finished product, sorry for the pic quality and lack of detail on the build process.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice job man. I just went thru a very similar thing. Like you, I didn't want to cut into the rear padding. I love the way the Maestro and Kenwood work together. That was also my reason for going with Kenwood.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:55 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Looks great
Old 12-19-2014, 11:36 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddman34
Looks great
+1
Old 12-19-2014, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every time I look at Crutchfield it says these receivers don't fit in F150's. Did you have Nav stock? I presume so based on the double DIN opening in the DASH?

I ask because I have a '12 FX4 w/ Nav that I'm looking to gut as well and I'm concerned about the HU fitment. Also, all your HVAC and seat cool/warmers worked after swapping the HU, correct?

Looks well done for sure.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:02 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperFly03
Every time I look at Crutchfield it says these receivers don't fit in F150's. Did you have Nav stock? I presume so based on the double DIN opening in the DASH?

I ask because I have a '12 FX4 w/ Nav that I'm looking to gut as well and I'm concerned about the HU fitment. Also, all your HVAC and seat cool/warmers worked after swapping the HU, correct?

Looks well done for sure.
I don't think he had the NAV with Sony. The opening on a stock NAV is larger than a double din opening. I think he used an aftermarket dash kit.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
I don't think he had the NAV with Sony. The opening on a stock NAV is larger than a double din opening. I think he used an aftermarket dash kit.
That's what I'm afraid of. Figuring out how to make the darn thing fit and also retain rear view sensors, etc. I can't be the first one to do it. Just having trouble finding someone who has.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:30 PM

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Sorry been away from the computer all day unfortunately. No I didn't have the Sony unit as base equipment. I had no idea the Sony unit had a wider opening than the factory unit..might be a little confused but I dont see how you couldn't get an aftermarket HU in there with a dashkit to make it look factory...I bought a Metra dash kit that has about another 1" of clearance for a full 8" screen if thats what your curious about.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:38 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

If you call Crutchfield, that will tell you why it won't fit. Or if it actually will, etc.

Quick Reply: Audio system overhaul