Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Audio GURU'S hallllp!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:03 PM

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

Default Audio GURU'S hallllp!

Hey guys,

I've got some Zapco RH-13.2 (2 sets) laying around in my closet that I was planning on using in my last car which I've since moved in the truck.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-4968-rh-...nt-system.aspx

Yes, I know, they're only 5.25" but I already have them and will blow away the stock system either way.

Now my question is I need help picking out a quality amp (4 channel) as I've been out of following the audio talk for some time now.
They're "rated" at about 120RMS, but have heard of guys pushing way past that with no problems at all into the 250+ range.

I plan on keeping the stock head unit, for now. However I would like to go the route of being able to expand later on down the road, I.E. head unit and MAYBE a sub under the rear seat.

So I think I would need an LCQ-1 or something along with the amp at this point.

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

-Chris
Old 06-14-2012, 02:06 PM

Anyone?
Old 06-14-2012, 02:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats your budget and what brands have you used or are you leaning towards? Theres a HUGE variety out there and noone can really tell you which will be best.

My suggestion is to go to your local audio shop and run through a few different 4 channel amps and see which one has the clarity your looking for. Just make sure your listening through a quality speaer set as well. You dont want to get the wrong impression of an amps capabilities due to a poorly built set of speakers.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Venomized
Whats your budget and what brands have you used or are you leaning towards? Theres a HUGE variety out there and noone can really tell you which will be best.

My suggestion is to go to your local audio shop and run through a few different 4 channel amps and see which one has the clarity your looking for. Just make sure your listening through a quality speaer set as well. You dont want to get the wrong impression of an amps capabilities due to a poorly built set of speakers.

Opps sorry forgot to mention price point. I'm pretty open, but was hoping to stay around the $500 range amp alone, no wiring.

I've heard good things about Alpine PDX series, DC Audio, Zapco amps.

Like I said though, I've been out of the game for a while now so wasn't sure if there's some new brand worth looking at.
I know there's plenty of companies that their amps out perform their numbers. I hate when they over inflate the numbers to look good then don't perform worth a damn.

I would like the speakers to be my limiting factor, not the amp if possible for around $500
Old 06-14-2012, 02:36 PM

Im actually heading to the local audio store today after work, just trying to gather some other opinions to help me look around
Old 06-15-2012, 12:57 AM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

What impedance are those drivers?
Heres a couple of suggestions:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575T600...er-T600-2.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_091FPP4..._4100&skipvs=T
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136HD60...s-HD600-4.html
Old 06-15-2012, 10:06 AM

4 ohm.

Any reason you picked the JL amp over the PDX-F6? From what I remember JL inflates their numbers pretty bad and are generally over priced. Unless this has changed in recent years (about 3 years since I've been in the loop).

Old 06-16-2012, 04:16 AM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Pauli18c
4 ohm.

Any reason you picked the JL amp over the PDX-F6? From what I remember JL inflates their numbers pretty bad and are generally over priced. Unless this has changed in recent years (about 3 years since I've been in the loop).
Here is my input and some basic info on those 3 amps;

The JL HD series are rated fairly close to the true specs. The HD's excel in sound quality and singal vs noise ratings. If you want good power with above average SQ this is a good amp. However, I agree that it is over priced.

The Focal amp is pretty amazing. The power ratings are very accurate and the SQ is superb, as you would expect from Focal. The specs on Crutchfields site are actually wrong. The amp is rated at 90x4 rms not 75x4. This is the amp I am currently using to power my Focal K2's and 6x8 type r's in my truck.
Focal amp mounted behind the seat.
https://www.f150forum.com/f78/build-...4-5-4l-149492/
My sister(Crutchfield Rep) showing off the system.
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Suppo...o.aspx?bio=149

The Rockford Amp is probably the best bang for the buck. You can almost guarantee they are pushing about 20-25% more power than the actual ratings. The power series offer the 24db/octave (great if you dont have a DSP). I have the T400 and T1500 in my BMW and it gives the Focal amp great competition in SQ and beats it in power. When tuned correctly, the Fosgate is almost on par with the Focal 4100 for SQ.

Moreover, Unless you want to blow your eardrums out or impress the 18 year olds at the local walmart, I dont think you need anything over 150 rms to your comps. Realistically, 75-150 rms should push those speakers fairly well. It doesn't take that much power to produce 75 to 12.5k hz.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:12 PM

Thanks for your response IBD.

I think I'm going to give the Focal amp a shot and pick up a PXE-H660 with it with the saved money over the PDX-F6.

I got the fronts in and mounted today, and they're begging for an amp!
Old 06-21-2012, 11:16 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Get the Arc Audio Mini 4 channel for $500 and be done with it. One of the best 4 channel amps on the market. Cant doubt any of Robert Zeffs engineering

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audio GURU'S hallllp!