Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Anyone mount a sub enclosure to the underside of rear seat (so it swings up) ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 03:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone mount a sub enclosure to the underside of rear seat (so it swings up) ?

I'm thinking of building my enclosure so it's mounted directly to the underside of the rear supercrew seat. This way when I lift the seats, it will swing up and I will have full floor space.

Trying to think of a way to mount it without butchering the underside of the seat.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:24 PM

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

What's wromg with behnd the rear seat?
Old 07-07-2018, 11:03 PM

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by jay1028
What's wromg with behnd the rear seat?
You have to go with a smaller shallow mount solution, which aren't necessarily terrible, but aren't going to provide the same sound as a bigger enclosure under the seat obviously.

What the OP wants to do isn't a...terrible idea, anyway, and I've thought of it myself, but two problems: One, unless you go with a smaller encloser that fits under only one side (the one behind the drivers I imagine, since it is longer) you'll need to figure out a way to raise both seats at the same time which will probably be a pain in the ***, and two, attaching a heavy enclosure is going to require modding the underside of the seat(s) with some kind of DYI bracket since there are no real attachment points to use.

Given that when raised the sub is likely not going to sound all that great in the first place and would still get in the way most likely to some degree you are probably better off just using quick-disconnect plugs on the speaker wire so you can easily remove it and stick it in the truck bed (assuming you have a cover) or otherwise be able to quickly move it out of the way if you temporarily need the room on the rear floor of the cab.

If you are in a situation where you will need to raise the rear seats and use the floor quite a bit then yes, finding a shallow mount solution that fits behind the seats is probably the better trade-off even though you won't get quite the same impact from the sub. I don't know that you can really get the best of all worlds in this situation but hell, someone has to try right?

Quick Reply: Anyone mount a sub enclosure to the underside of rear seat (so it swings up) ?