Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Amp and Sub Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Amp and Sub Questions

I am getting two Kicker CVT 10", but I can't decide whether to get 2 or 4 ohms subs. I would also like to know what would be the best setup for the amp and wiring. I have read some articles about taking a 2 ohm mono amp and wiring it parrallel to 2 4ohm subs, and if so what size mono amp do i need to power 2 4ohm subs with a rms rating of 50-400watts?? Also I would like to know if a 2 channel amp would be better than a mono amp wired parrallel. Any suggestions and any other advice are greatly appreciated!
Old 06-23-2008, 11:44 PM

As far as sub wiring goes as a rule of thumb for 1 sub go w/a 4 ohm sub and a 2 channel amp bridged. If going 2 subs go to 2 4 ohm subs in parallel and a 2 ohm stable mono amp. Or you can go with 2 2ohm subs in series on a 2 channel amp bridged. or 2 8 ohm subs in parallel on a 2 channel amp bridged. These are all considering single voice coil subs.

There are all sorts of configurations but the best bang for the buck comes from monoblock amps so if running 2 subs I would go with the second option.

If your running 2 400 watt RMS subs go with approx 800 watts of power on a mono amp and get the 4 ohm subs and wire in parallel.

Unless your looking for a high sound quality and really good staging. Then you may choose to go to a 400 Watt/Ch, 2 ch Amp and go with the 4 ohm subs and wire in stereo. This only makes a noticable difference in a really well set up box for propper staging. (not normally an issue with subs to begin with and only really applicable in sound quality compitition setups)

Last edited by XC700116; 06-23-2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:54 PM

One thing to note on the CVT's, they are a nice shallow mount and everything but they still require at least .8 cu ft per sub which is alot of air space. In my supercrew I could only get enough room under the rear seat to get 1 cu ft so I went with a JL 10 w3 v3 and it will pound nearly as hard as the 2 kickers would. The JL shallow mount requires a ton of airspace as well and they are wicked expensive.

If you decide to deffinately go with the CVT's then I would reccomend 2 4 ohm subs and a mono 800 watt RMS @ 2 ohms amp and wire the subs parallel. You don't want to short yourself on amp power as too little is harder on subs than a little too much. you can always turn the gain down.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:36 AM

thanks! really helpful. I appreciate it

Quick Reply: Amp and Sub Questions