Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Amp/auxiliary power wire

Old 10-23-2017, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp/auxiliary power wire

Long time listener - first time caller with an amateur question for the pros:

I’m in the planning phase for my audio & lighting upgrades to my 2017 STX screw. I will be running a 4ga wire to power my amp & sub. My question is could it have any possible affect on the sound quality (electrical noise etc.) if I go through a distribution block under the dash and split off an 8ga wire to run off road lights and whatever else? I can run a totally separate power wire to a fuse/relay box for other accessories like the lights, but figured the 4ga has plenty enough amp capacity for my stuff and would only have to go through the firewall once. Thoughts?
Old 10-23-2017, 05:18 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

I run 4 gauge to my amps in general. My Alpine 500W mono amp actually called for 0 gauge, to a block, then 4 gauge. I did straight 4 gauge.

What are your amp specs? What does your amp install guide say to use? I would run a separate wire personally.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My amps spec at a little less than 60 amperes max, so I could use 8ga but will use 4ga instead...just because. I’m not concerned about the wire holding up to the current, just trying to validate something I was told about possible RF interference and that I should isolate the power wire to only my sound system.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by FlightDXer
My amps spec at a little less than 60 amperes max, so I could use 8ga but will use 4ga instead...just because. I’m not concerned about the wire holding up to the current, just trying to validate something I was told about possible RF interference and that I should isolate the power wire to only my sound system.
I would try it and change if it doesn't work. I don't think you will have any interference but it will depend on what lighting you are doing...

Search this Thread