Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Alpine MRP-F300

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 04:47 PM

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Alpine MRP-F300

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRPF....html?tp=35782

Does anyone have experience with this amp?

My 2011 super crew XLT base stereo system left a lot to be desired. Sounded like it was at the bottom of a mud pit if you know what I mean....very muddy.

So I replaced the stock speakers front and rear with some Kicker 6x8's ran straight off the factory head unit, and while they do sound much cleaner it could still use something more. They have much better highs, but running off of the head unit they lack quite a bit of bass as compared to the stock speakers unless I turn the bass up....but then they start sounding like there's too much bass in the mid range (ie vocals).

So that leads me to believe I should get a 4 channel amp to power them...then I believe they should come to life.

So that leads me to this amp. One thing that I like about it is the speaker level inputs as I will not replace the stock head unit. I actually prefer the looks and functionality of stock vs. aftermarket. With those speaker level inputs I also see there is a set of pre-amp outputs on it. Will those pre-amp outputs work while using the speaker level inputs? Reason I ask is because if even with the amp if the bass is still lacking too much with the bass turned down to deliver the clear highs I'm looking for, I'd like to use the pre-amp outputs to send a signal to that sound ordnance self powered 8" sub being discussed in another thread here.

But if it won't work as I'm hoping I'll either just live with what I have now or just add a cheaper 4 channel amp sometime in the future. Thanks for reading, and of course thanks for any info or suggestions you guys may have.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:52 AM
lol, wut

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Alpine's website should allow you to download the user's manual for the MRP-F300.

Edit: Actually, Crutchfield's should allow you to download it as well.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded it from crutchfield, but unfortunately it doesn't address the specific question I'm asking. I have searched around and found one place that says it's likely I would be able to use the pre-amp output even though I used the speaker level inputs feeding into the Alpine amp. Another option (if it would work and not kill my factory head unit) is to just run the speaker level inputs in parallel (the Sound Ordance self powered sub has these as well) from the head unit to both the Alpine amp and the powered sub.

I might contact crutchfield to see what they say, or call a couple of stereo shops around town. If anyone else might have any other suggestions or info I'd love to hear them.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:17 PM
lol, wut

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

If I were you, I'd get a LOC - a Line Output Converter that will take your speaker outputs from the head unit and convert them into RCA plugs.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:31 PM

I looked into that but the ones from crutchfield look really cheap and have terrible reviews. The PAC one that I've seen mentioned here, according to the PAC website it says it's not applicable to the 2011 head unit. Why it wouldn't be, I have no idea.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Eboost56

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't waste your money with a line out converter unless you want to build a garbage sound system. What you want it a signal summoning processor and a JL Clean sweep ( or any brand that does the same thing )

What the issue is with stock head unit is the EQ set up, or lack there of. So running a aftermarket amp will still sound nothing like it could with signal summoning before the amp to get the full range of sound it should have.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say to spend the coin on a headunit. FoMoCo headunits are flat and weak. Put an aftermarket headunit in and hard wire the door speakers and you will not need an amp unless you want really loud music.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by 04FX4SCab
I would say to spend the coin on a headunit. FoMoCo headunits are flat and weak. Put an aftermarket headunit in and hard wire the door speakers and you will not need an amp unless you want really loud music.
That's not gonna happen because I prefer the look of having everything stock in the dash. But thanks for the advice anyway.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Navistarprogrammer
Don't waste your money with a line out converter unless you want to build a garbage sound system. What you want it a signal summoning processor and a JL Clean sweep ( or any brand that does the same thing )

What the issue is with stock head unit is the EQ set up, or lack there of. So running a aftermarket amp will still sound nothing like it could with signal summoning before the amp to get the full range of sound it should have.
I've done some more thinking about this, and came up with another idea along the lines of what you're suggesting.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_161LC6I...y.html?tp=6870

If I get this to clean up the signal from the factory head unit and send it to the 4 channel amp via RCA cables then that might fix the "too much bass in the vocals" issue that I'm hearing I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong. But if it does clean up the signal and I don't have to turn the bass down to help with what I mentioned in quotes then I think I should be able skip the powered subwoofer altogether and just stick with the 4 speakers in the doors. With a cleaned up signal I should be able to turn the bass up via the head unit and I'm thinking it should be enough. I don't need a lot of bass....only stuff I listen to is country and some classic rock...no rap or anything like that. Reason why I'm sure the door speakers will have enough bass is because right now if I do turn up the bass on the head unit they actually do produce quite a bit of bass....just it makes vocals sound muddy.

Now you mentioned I should get something like I linked above (I believe it's what you were talking about) and a JL clean sweep. After looking at the clean sweep...it appears it's just gonna do the same thing as what I linked. Again correct me if I'm wrong. For half the price of the clean sweep I'd rather just stick with what I linked, as the wife is determining the budget here. IE....she can't believe I want to spend even more money on a truck I just bought a month ago. lol So yeah, I need to keep the cost down...I've already put $300 trying to get the stereo to sound better by changing out the front and rear speakers.

So let me know what you think....if this will work or not. Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah...what I linked above won't cause any issues with sync will it? I wouldn't think so, but figured I would ask anyway.

Last edited by Largefarva; 01-31-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Eboost56

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are exactly correct, thats why i said something like the Clean sweep, and what you have linked is just what you need. I went with the JL clean sweep AND signal summoning ssi just because i want the absolute best sound i can get without switching out head units.

I got both on ebay for under 250, but i think what you bought will work jus fine.

Quick Reply: Alpine MRP-F300