Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Alpine 12" Type R

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 11:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alpine 12" Type R

Hey. Question:

Got a 12" type R in the back of my truck in a standard box on the floor. Noticed early on that if the ring that goes over the area with the screw holes is loose or off, the sub makes a horrible rattling noise, almost sounds like metal hitting. Its actually the folded rings around the sub hitting each other from what I can gather. Ive had the sub over a month now. I noticed every once in a while id have to reposition the ring or id get a little rattle. Then last week in the morning i put on a song n it was the worst id ever heard it. it sounded like the ring wasnt even on it. I pulled the sub from the box, nothing is broken, sub is completely intact n nothing seems to be broken internally. I screwed it back in and the rattle is gone for normal bass. Now, i get a nasty rattle/noise only on hard pounding.

Anybody with a type R or similar sub have any idea on this? Nobody can seem to help me out. Havent gone to any audio shops yet tho.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:36 AM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Any warranty on the sub? Take it back, it's broken.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had 4 Type-R's in my past and I know the ring you speak of. I'm not entirely sure but here's a guess on my part. Is the hole in the box you mounted your subs into perfectly round? And is the sub seated nice and flat without any flexing of the aluminum basket? Meaning you didn't force the sub into the hole if it wasn't perfect (I hope I'm making sense).

I'm thinking that if it was "forced" into the hole and was causing the basket to "warp" you could possibly be getting basket flex forcing the voice coil to rattle causing the weird sound.

Just a wild guess.

Or worst case.... busted voice coil. I've had that in the past and it is a nasty sound.

Great sub otherwise. I would have kept mine but the JL Audio W6's won me over. :-)

Last edited by Stokie; 10-18-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does sound like a warped basket, but those type R baskets would be tough to mess up, I have had a couple pair. Double check your box for a loose panel or air escaping. I had a box falling apart and it did the same thing. Also double check that the cone is moving freely and hitting anything. I had to add spacers to a downward facing sub box in my truck. If it is not any of those, it's a voice coil.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

lol warped basket!

Quick Reply: Alpine 12" Type R