Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Aftermarket H/U 2010

Old 10-24-2012, 07:39 PM
JP3

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aftermarket H/U 2010

Guys I am struggling to get this Pioneer head unit install properly. I have all the wires hooked up the way I want it but the H/U doesnt come on. It comes on and stays when I hook up the red AAC and Yellow 12V constant together. I have used the metro harness to hook from the factory harness to the aftermarket H/U harness. I can cannot get it to power down when when the key is out of the ignition.

Last edited by JP3; 10-24-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:42 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

When you hook the accessory turn on and power together you are not going to be able to get it to power down with the key as you are running constant 12v to it.

The yellow wire is basically a direct link to the battery and is used for the memory function. To remember all your presets. It is always on.

The red wire is supposed to be tied into its own wire in the harness which runs it to the ignition switch and allows the unit to power up when you turn the key.

There are two power sources on every aftermarket deck I have hooked up, putting those together is not the right option.

The metra harness and/or cd player should have come with wiring instruction, assuming you bought the right harness just follow those and it should be good to go.

Last edited by 04DarkShadowGT; 10-25-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:45 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by JP3
Guys I am struggling to get this Pioneer head unit install properly. I have all the wires hooked up the way I want it but the H/U doesnt come on. It comes on and stays when I hook up the red AAC and Yellow 12V constant together. I have used the metro harness to hook from the factory harness to the aftermarket H/U harness. I can cannot get it to power down when when the key is out of the ignition.
If you use the harness correctly you shouldn't have a problem but use a test light if you do
Old 10-25-2012, 09:58 AM
JP3

Yes I have both wiring instructions and have followed them to a T. The only way I could get the H/U to work was tie both together. I know that is not the correct way hook up the unit. I have tried to run the red wire to the 38 fuse with no luck. I will try to find another ignition wire this evening.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:20 AM
2012 FX4 ECOBooooost

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts

Most new vehicles use data to turn the radio power on and off, there is no ignition switched wire anymore at the radio plug. If your just using a strait harness (just a plug with wires on it) that probably your problem. Now a days you need a interface (plug with wires and a little black box to decode the data). You could still cheap out and find a 12v ACC wire somewhere else.

Something like this:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-5520-NAV.html
Old 10-25-2012, 02:55 PM
JP3

Ok I have the OEM1 harness but didnt hook it up. I thought that was for someone that would be using the Factory H/U and wanted to run a amp. I will give that a try.....
Old 11-10-2012, 04:21 PM
JP3

Here's a quick updated folks.
I finally figured out how to get the H/U to shut off with the ignition switch. I ran a 16G wire from the fuse box to the Head Unit. I bought a fuse tap from Auto Zone for 7 bucks. Connect the fuse tap and the wire and plug into the #41 fuse. Tie the other end of the fuse tap wire to the H/U ignition wire and your golden. The H/U turns on with the ignition and it shuts off when the door opens...

***Simply matching the wires from the H/U and the harness does not work. You must run the fuse tap wire from the #41 fuse to the harness ignition wire***
Old 11-11-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Or you can buy the proper harness as suggested. I have a 2010 and went with the harness suggested and the little black box converts the canbus data and has all the wires right behind the HU, no running wires anywhere else.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe there's a ignition wire in the passenger kick panel. Think it's orange but could be wrong on the color. I put a pioneer x940bt into my 2009.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:12 AM
JP3

The correct harness was bought and wired up properly. It didnt match up, It didnt power of like I said ealier. I am not the only one that had this problem.

Originally Posted by RES4CUE
Or you can buy the proper harness as suggested. I have a 2010 and went with the harness suggested and the little black box converts the canbus data and has all the wires right behind the HU, no running wires anywhere else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket H/U 2010