Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Aftermarket back up camera help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket back up camera help!!

I was wondering if anyone has had good luck with any aftermarket back up cameras? I have a company truck that i pull a trailer with about every day and it would be nice to have one. It's just a plain jane truck with no navigation so i would need a kit with a monitor also. I have seen many on ebay but i just dont know where to start. I dont want to spend to much because like i said it not my truck. Any help would be great!
Old 01-21-2012, 02:06 AM

I bought and installed mine from this company: http://www.rearviewsafety.com/

I purchased mine through Costco. It is infrared, no additional lights needed. You can see about 50 feet... anything beyond that, it is very tiny. It is a extremely wide angle lens, very fish eyed (about 180 degrees). I bought the 2 camera package with 7 inch color monitor resting inside beside the cigarette lighter/ash tray. I am able to switch between front and back view. Back view always comes on first by default when starting my truck. It also has a builtin mic so you can hear from each camera. During daylight, it looks fine. Direct sunlight on camera will wash it out all details. Remember the camera is tuned for low light situations. You can actually see the infrared sensors light up in the dark beside the camera lens. It has a metal shield for top and bottom of camera that is included. Think of it as a barn doors for the camera. It does not protect from direct impact from road debris being kicked up from vehicles in front of you.

Works very well when backing up and parallel parking. The tailgate obscures anything directly behind me. Mini's, Miatas, golf carts... you get the idea... are completely invisible to me when they pull up directly behind me. I have mine installed for about 5 months, this should be standard equipment for all trucks.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:53 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

http://www.tadibrothers.com/Catalog/...-Backup-Camera

Try these guys, have been running their camera for a year now and it works great. Fast shipping, good prices, and there are a ton of options!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the input so far. Would like to hear from a few others before i bite the bullet and buy one.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:53 AM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

i got this one from amazon...
XO Vision HTC35 Universal Weatherproof Backup Camera with NightVision
Amazon Amazon

so far so good. i had it for like a year now, only complain will be that when it rains hard, it can condensate a little in the lens and will take like half day to clear up. out of that, working good in sun night or snow
Old 01-24-2012, 08:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As far as backup cameras go I don't think you can really go wrong. I have an Alpine and it works great but I think any one that is priced decently would suffice. I mounted mine where the bumper trailer ball would go with no problems. Keep in mind if you tow a lot then you could risk destroying that camera if the ball slips off of your frame mounted hitch up on to the bumper. Pics are on my profile. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:59 AM
DIY

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

if you can put around $100 in a camera, get a CCD. if not, for $20 or so you get a CMOS camera.

this is one is $90, but i cant justify myself to pay that much for a rear camera:
Power Acoustik CCD-4XS Extra Small Rear View Color Camera

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-24-2012, 06:39 PM

I think im leaning more toward the camera's that bolt to the license plate. I also like the idea of the slip over mirror monitor instead of having to find a place to mount a screen but i dont know if the mirror is sucre to the factory one. I dont want something falling off all the time. If i choose the screen type monitor i would probably have to but some sort of small console to make it look half descent and not out of place. Now i guess my biggest problem is what brand do i buy?
Old 12-30-2012, 08:11 PM
I love my F150

I just installed the Peak backup camera bought through Autozone but I have now removed it and returned it to the store. My Problem: Bluetooth on my truck. All 3 Peak models use bluetooth for their wireless operation so when I called the manufacturer, the guy told me to return it, it wouldn't work and he was right. Also, I didn't like their mirror overlay which defeats my OEM mirror dimming. Overall, even without the bluetooth issue, due to the mirror attachment, I was not real pleased with the Peak unit. The Peak Customer Service was very good and honest. And Autozone was excellent on my return.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:59 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

The camera is easy. Its what are you going to display it on is the issue.
Some people bought an aftermarket monitor built into the mirror (personally, I think this option is too small).
If you have a NAV unit in your vehicle, thats the place to display it.
I understand one maker of on dash GPS units have an input for cameras.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket back up camera help!!