Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

After install, will I need to take to dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default After install, will I need to take to dealer?

I am finishing up on an install in my 2010 F150. I put in a new steering wheel with audio controls, new rearview mirror with mic, new sync system, and a 6 cd unit with sirius.
Will I have to take my truck in to the dealer to have my ecm flashed for all this stuff to work? I put the steering wheel in last night and the audio controls dont work with my stock unit.
Help please...
Old 05-10-2011, 01:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mcanavan69
I am finishing up on an install in my 2010 F150. I put in a new steering wheel with audio controls, new rearview mirror with mic, new sync system, and a 6 cd unit with sirius.
Will I have to take my truck in to the dealer to have my ecm flashed for all this stuff to work? I put the steering wheel in last night and the audio controls dont work with my stock unit.
Help please...
Where did you get your stearing wheel with controls?
Old 05-12-2011, 03:17 PM

I got it from a guy on ebay.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got it from a guy on ebay.
How hard is the install?
Old 05-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Senior almost

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Help please...
Can you show a picture of the unit? I do know that the stock Nav radio requires programming at the dealership to work in your truck if you changed it from another vehicle... Picture of the steering wheel, is it ford, what model truck are you installing all this in. Was it a factory option in your model? Most likely you will have some programming at the dealer.. The machine they use is like 40,000 dollars so yes they will charge probably a minimum to hook up to it... But if everything is compatable it should be do able....
Old 05-12-2011, 06:41 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

I am sure there is wiring from the wheel to the radio, when I installed my aftermarket HU I used an Axxess unit for the SW controls and had to tap into a control wire on the radio harness.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:59 PM

B1gfun, did it like 5 minutes, it was easy. There are 3 small holes, 2 on the side and 1 under the wheel. Insert a small hex head or screwdriver and press while you lift on the airbag. Start with the bottom one and work your way around. Be sure to unhook your negative battery cable first. Unhook the clips to the airbag(2) and the one to the clock spring. Make sure you keep an eye out for the exact location of the steering wheel and the clock spring.

2010FX4, its a stock unit 6 disc sirius sat system with sync. The steering wheel and mirror/mic are all stock for 2010 units. Its going in a 2010 XLT SCrew 4X4. Yes it was an option, but I got the truck used and they said it would be like 500 to install sync. Im doing it for around 300 for everything.

Quick Reply: After install, will I need to take to dealer?