Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

Advent OE Real Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 11:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Advent OE Real Review

There are several threads on this forum related to the Advent OE Navigation System. After doing my research I decided to take the leap earlier this week and ordered one from adcmobile.com. I choose the Advent because it seems to have pretty rave reviews out there. Are there other big brands out there that offer more features, sure, but for my needs this system will provide plenty. I also liked the way it integrates into the dash and almost looks factory.

The package is scheduled to arrive today and I plan on installing it myself this weekend. I have a 2012 XLT with the stock standard radio, non SYNC, with no steering wheel controls (although I have found that both of these things should work find with the Advent if you have them on your truck). So, the install shouldn't be too overly complicated I'm hoping.

The few threads that were out there seemed to get a lot of posts but still left several of my questions unanswered. My goal is to use this thread to help others out there that might be interested in this system. After the install I plan to give it a full rundown and share what I find out!

Let me know what questions you guys have along the way and I will test them out and provide pics, video or whatever you need.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:21 PM

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Sweet deal....look fwd to the review...
Old 02-23-2015, 11:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before

After

I successfully installed the Advent OE Friday night. The install took me maybe 1.5 hours total (I am mechanically savvy but this was my first radio install myself). As mentioned by others if you purchase from Walt at adc mobile you get access to all his support material including a step by step installation video. I followed the video instruction without any problems, there were just a few steps that weren't quite as easy they make it look in the video such as transferring the metal clips on the back of the radio bezel. But if you go step by step its not a complicated DIY application.

The unit itself works great! It is very fast and the touch screen is responsive so far. I like the way the menu screen looks. The custom splash screen provided by adc mobile is a nice touch! The unit looks very factory and the trim matches perfectly (xlt model). I installed the new Bluetooth mic above my rearview mirror (as recommended) and it works great, calls are clear as day (my truck does not have sync so I cannot compare the two). The Bluetooth streaming music is also a nice feature. I can control the music player on my iPhone straight from the unit (obviously no menu functionality but pause/play and skip work)

The navigation so far works great, it has been very accurate and fast responding. I tested it on my 40 mile trip home last night and it was very accurate. I have not used or seen the iGo navigation before installing this system but so far I like many of the features. The hard buttons above the screen are a nice alternative for switching between nav/phone/music in the system. My only complaint is that the Nav button on the far left sticks when you push it in, I don't know if it is just getting stuck on the trim or it the button itself is just stiff, I haven't had a chance to loosen the trim and see if its hitting yet.

I would rate the sound as above average, I haven't had a chance to custom tweak the built in EQ much yet but it does have quite a few adjustments that can be made. It definitely does have more power and clarity than my stock radio but I agree with other users that the radio pickup is a little weaker than before but if you are not trying to pickup stations from a distant city, it shouldn't be an issue.

Overall, I am very happy with the unit. No aftermarket product is ever going to 100% perfect to every customers liking but I feel this one made my somewhat barebones xlt into something a little more fun and functional. Some of the best features are the quick navigation, Bluetooth, and the almost completely factory look. Some of the negatives were a few tricky install steps and the lack of menu functionality with iPhone 6.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you for this write up. If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost to do this?
Old 02-23-2015, 01:40 PM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 493 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Aragost
Thank you for this write up. If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost to do this?
I bet it was roughly 1000$ I did the same to a 2007 GMC.

I bought it from Walt as well.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tanked_darren
I bet it was roughly 1000$ I did the same to a 2007 GMC.

I bought it from Walt as well.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Advent OE Real Review