Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

'98 F150 build log. Full install with lots of pics.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 F150 build log. Full install with lots of pics.

I frequent a few audio forums, especially DIYMA, and have a build log there. I kinda lurk around here so I figured I would post it up here too. My original system was a double din Pioneer with a single 4 channel amp. 2 channels were going to go to the front Pioneer TSD1720 comp set and the other 2 channels to a Solobaric L7 8. Well... that idea was short lived. I had all the equipment but knew that I wouldnt be content with just that. I installed for about 6 years so I have always wanted to do something in the truck. Here is what is is so far, and there is more to come...
There was going to be a Alpine PDX4.100 bridged on the tweeters, a PDX4.150 bridged on the mids, and a PDX1.1000 on the subs. I decided to sell the 4.100. It would have been overkill and putting 2 amps was alot easier than the 3.

4 Arc Audio 8s were the original subs, but being swapped out to a single JL W3 13.5. But here is the 8s...

Here is some of the under hood. This is when it was all 4ga. I upgraded the power to 1/0. And yes... I know the engine is filthy lol...

Old 09-11-2011, 10:42 AM

Here is the start. I used Raammat BXT through out. There is about 120 square feet total. The doors have the outer and inner skin done. All holes in the door have been sealed. I can still access the inner door if needed by cutting the Raammat. Over the Raammat is Ensolite. I LOVE this product. I never expected to get my truck this quiet. Every part of the truck is covered in it also. I dont have pics of everything because I didnt want to stop for pics while I was making good progress. All cavities in the rear have fiberglass insulation stuffed in them for added deadening... not sure if it helps, but I did it anyway.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:43 AM

I decided to go active with this set up so I chose an Alpine 9887. I love this deck. Its not as nice as my past Pioneer P9 combo but at 1/5th the cost I can complain at all. I didnt want to use a standard dash kit. And since I had a double din in there previous I had to do a lot of cutting. So I build my dash kit and very please at the texture and the look.

Here is the double din install... lots of massaging and cutting involved lol.

From there I used all Knu Koncept RCAs. I have both amps under the front seats. The PDX4.150 is under the dirvers seat and the PDX1.1000 is under the passenger seat. Also under the passenger seat is a Tsunami power and ground dist. I have the 1/0 being distributed to 4ga going to each amp. The tweeters have 16ga Kicker twisted speaker wife going to them. The mids have Knu 12ga twisted speaker wire. The sub amp has 12ga Knu also.

I have a JL W3V3 13.5 coming in on Tuesday. I will be removing the small portion of the split rear seat behing the driver. I had the 4 Arc 8s, but they just didnt sound like I wanted them to. They were loud and clean, but didnt have the deep bass I wanted. Plus a single sub will be easier to tune with a SQ setup.
I will add more pics as I go. The comp set will eventually be swapped out. Not sure what I am going to go to. I want more midbass up front. Lookin at either going to a 7" or 8" in the doors... Maybe Usher or TB. They will probably be more of a diy audio selection more than a actually mobile audio comp set. I like the tweeters but also have been lookin at a set of Alpine pros. They are ring radiators, and I have been wanting to try that style for a while. The tweeters are in the A pillars for now. Mainly because thats where the first set was placed. I will eventually be doing some fiberglassing to the A pillars for a better angle.

And like mentioned before... I will update as I go. Looking forward to the new sub this coming week. I am also going to be attending a SQ seminar being put on by IASCA, so I wont do a whole lot until after that. I dont think I will be steering this toward a SQ vehicle to compete with, but if I do decide to I want to be in the right direction for it.

Last edited by pjc1800; 09-11-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:45 AM

how much did your sound deadener cost
Old 09-12-2011, 01:41 PM

I bought it off of DIYMA. They seller was local so I was able to pick it up. I only paid $125 for over 180 square feet. It was a great deal... so I had to take it. Its not as thick as the Dynamat Extreme I have used in the past, but its still a great product. I was happy with the Raammat and would recommend it.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:50 PM
I live 4 Him He died 4 Me

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man i wish i was as organized as you lol.. should sound as great as it looks.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:57 PM

Thanks. I am about to swap out the TS-D1720 comp set for the 720PRS set. It should be here hopefully Monday. I also have another PDX4.150 and a PDX600.1 coming. I doubt they will go in this install in any way but its nice to have back up. I got the JL W3 13.5" in the truck and I need to add some pics. This sub on the PDX1000.1 is nice. Blends in very well and plays loud and low if needed.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:41 PM

How do you like the Ensolite and how hard was it to install? I would think that having the adhesive already on the back would make it a breaze.

I am on the fence with that our a closed cell phone and then mass loaded vinyl on top. I think that might be to much work though.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:00 PM

I love the Ensolite. I am about to sound deaden and Ensolite my wifes xB also. Its easy without the peel and stick version. I just used some 3M spary adhesive and cut it to size and stuck it on. Very easy stuff. I am happy with the results.

Quick Reply: '98 F150 build log. Full install with lots of pics.