Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2022 'Base' Lariat audio questions (No B&O) - using a JBL MS-8 DSP

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 06:14 PM

Received 545 Likes on 268 Posts
Question 2022 'Base' Lariat audio questions (No B&O) - using a JBL MS-8 DSP

Please pardon if asked-and-answered, I did try searching before posting.

In reference to the 2022 Lariat Supercab 'base' audio system (no B&O) ...
  • Is this a 6-speaker system (front L&R woofers; front L&R tweeters, rear L&R speakers) with no other speaker / no 'center' speaker?
  • Are there only 4 speaker-level output channels at the audio module (front L&R with the signal for both woofers and tweeters; then rear-door L&R)?
  • Are there any non-music signals (e.g. vehicle-synthesized rear-obstacle proximity alarms, tones, voices, whatever) which are broadcast only on the rear-speakers?
  • IF the rear-channel speaker outputs are abandoned (no speaker load connected) does that generate a fault, error message, or 'harm' the OE audio module?
The questions relate to connecting a DSP (JBL MS-8) that only needs one 'full spectrum' (20Hz-20kHz) stereo music pair for its input, and which does not like having to use an OE 'center speaker' input to preserve non-music voices or tones that are broadcast only on that single channel. It can accommodate rear-L&R inputs but that's not desired unless absolutely necessary to preserve vehicle generated (non-music) signals.

The MS-8 is a bit of an old-school component but I've enjoyed it in previous vehicles and would like to know if it might 'play nice' with the new Lariat's OE system; I do not want to lose any of the non-music / vehicle-generated alarms, tones, or voices, etc.

Thanks in advance for helpful answers!
Old 03-24-2022, 11:20 PM

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I've tried searching for the same but nothing either. I've seen posts saying the center channel adds nothing, some say its for the vehicle tones, is it a true 5th or 7th channel etc? From what I did find it appears the A-pillar and door speakers are driven from the same channel but again, I'd love to find a wiring schematic to confirm this. I think someone posted some older schematics but I'll have to look for that thread.

I spoke too d@mn soon on the schematics. I did a quick search to include wiring and found https://www.f150forum.com/f30/2018-f...agrams-426367/
and
https://www.f150forum.com/f30/2021-f...agrams-507200/

He covers a few years but it seems to be missing 2019 and 2020.

Last edited by Powerlifter405; 03-26-2022 at 01:35 AM.
Old 03-25-2022, 01:02 AM

Lightbulb more info since the original post

FWIW results of further research since posting above is summarized in the attached PDF.

Various sources convince me the Lariat 500A base audio is the 7-speaker system (with a center speaker). With that known I paid ~$20 for a 72-hr subscription to access the 2022 manuals from Motorcraft Service which have a wealth of definitive info, much more than just schematic diagrams, the basis for the attached notes.

Still unanswered are some Q's relating to that dread center speaker...
  • Are any of the 'Front Speakers' warning chimes or voices routed only to the Center? (likely not, but only testing will prove that out)
  • Can the Center speaker music volume be lowered / faded to 'null / silent' on the touchscreen controls?
  • It's clear that any open (unconnected) speaker output will generate a speaker-specific DTC, but the language about whether that will trigger a total ACM shutdown or other nuisance or fault is unclear
So, for my interests, based on two previous MS-8 installations in SYNC3 Fords, I'm thinking I can make it work in this truck using a bit of MS-8 trickery. I'll certainly be doing more detailed testing with the PicoScope to prove that before investing in more component $ or even a trial installation. If it proves out I'll likely be contacting one of the folks on this forum for an appropriate T (loopback) harness to make things easier and sanitary.

Another question for my situation that only I can answer: Will I be able to fabricate a sealed 0.5-0.7cu ft enclosure to fit my beloved Stereo Integrity BM MkV sub behind the rear seat? I think yes, it's a very shallow sub and I've built some convoluted enclosures for it in the past. The BM mkV is a wonderful SQ sub, very pleasing to my ears and music tastes. I will not consider an under-seat sub which would alter the useability of the rear cab area (my install must be 100% stealth insofar as the cabin appearance goes).

The rest is easy, I've got Audiofrog GB15 tweeters for the A-pillars, Stereo Integrity TM65's for the front doors, and Audiofrog GS42 coaxial's for the rear doors / ambient fill. All of this as well as the JBL DSP and amps is stuff I've used in previous installations and know it will yield very pleasing tunes for my ears. My music source for 99% of my listening is a huge eclectic catalog of FLAC rips from CD on a Samsung T3 USB SSD. My goal is always great staging and SQ optimized for the driver's position, not crazy SPL or satisfying multiple occupants (YMMV).
Attached Files

Last edited by fiver; 03-25-2022 at 01:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Powerlifter405 (03-25-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 12:07 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

Let me know if you want a signal harness with speaker return lines built for you.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Old 03-26-2022, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by HushCarAudio
Let me know if you want a signal harness with speaker return lines built for you.
I certainly will, having seen several positive reviews of your quality and cost-effective work on this forum. I don't do Facebook, saw a 2019 thread here where you posted hushcaraudio@gmail.com as an email contact, fair to assume that's still valid?
Old 03-26-2022, 04:19 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Originally Posted by fiver
I certainly will, having seen several positive reviews of your quality and cost-effective work on this forum. I don't do Facebook, saw a 2019 thread here where you posted hushcaraudio@gmail.com as an email contact, fair to assume that's still valid?
Yes it's the correct email and my cell is 949-331-2075 if you rather call me.

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Old 03-26-2022, 07:31 PM

Just for grins if anyone is interested, here's the scheme I'd like to make work in my new Lariat. Critical comments / suggestions / questions are always welcome.
EDIT - I posted a flawed diagram, see post #16 for corrected rev 02

Last edited by fiver; 03-27-2022 at 08:48 PM.
Especial86 (03-27-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 11:02 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by fiver
Just for grins if anyone is interested, here's the scheme I'd like to make work in my new Lariat. Critical comments / suggestions / questions are always welcome.
great diagram!

It sounds like you and I are on similar quests.
Check my thread on my behind the seat box I built, it can be done with at least a JL 10 tw3 in a 3/4 ply enclosure (sub is 4.5” thick I believe to the mount face)….
https://www.f150forum.com/f30/subwoofer-box-dimensions-behind-seat-15-21-crew-cab-505274/

I’m Not sure on the sub you have in mind but I hear you. I was hell bent on the JL 10W3 sub since I know I love their sound from several past installs in all of my vehicles. I ended up defaulting to the JL10TW3 after trying the 10Tw1..
Same story as you, my backseat floor is just too valuable to consume for me.

Hushes harness hooked it up too, super easy and worth it👍

But on another note what did you come up with as far as chimes, doors, nav, phone, on the center channel???
From what I’ve seen from at least 2017+ that center channel is a dedicated output from the factory stereo. Almost all abandon it from what read, but then I also don’t hear about chime issues after…
I’m debating about hooking mine up AFTER (DSP Key 200.4) tuning incase I have any issues.

I’ve got a thread asking similar questions right now, but in regards to the key 200.4 in Bi amp mode now.
I want to 1 and done this install and I’m ready to buy what I need, I just want closure on any issues, and of course if I can resolve any issues I will.

Best of luck with your install too man. I was circling audio frog components too, but the Morels come so highly regarded around here I was thinking of trying them instead.

Last edited by Especial86; 03-27-2022 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-27-2022, 02:13 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Audio Frog speaker sound great but at that price there are other options I personally would rather consider. I also don't like how their connectors are on the speakers.

Old 03-27-2022, 02:40 PM

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Looking at the jbl ms amps, it appears channel 1 and 2 gain/level control are tied together. I would strongly suggest you connect tweeters to channels 1 and 2, then woofers to 3 and 4. Otherwise you will never be able to get a good target curve without crazy tweeter level cuts in the ms8.

Similar for all other speakers. Have like pairs on left side on the corresponding amp channels to right side. So left tweeter/right tweeter on channels 1 & 2, door woofers on 3 & 4, etc.
fiver (03-27-2022)

Quick Reply: 2022 'Base' Lariat audio questions (No B&O) - using a JBL MS-8 DSP