Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2018 XLT 302A - Want to add 4Ch Amp. Will I loose chimes? Is their a better way?

Old 10-09-2018, 02:12 AM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Default 2018 XLT 302A - Want to add 4Ch Amp. Will I loose chimes? Is their a better way?

So I have the 8" screen, no amplified. I hear chimes from drivers front door for things like the lights being on, what happens when I add an amp? The amps will be off when Ign is off so I'm guess the chimes will disappear. I was planning on doing the Forscan mod to make the output to 5volts preamp. I have the remote wire tapped off a fuse in the Pass kick. It stays on when engine shuts down at stop lights and is true Ignition. I ordered a harness for the Axxess DSP that looks like the CARAV one. I will also add a sub amp. I'm adding the 4 channel to cross over the fronts to 80hz and above. Later I will probably replace the speakers.

Loudness is not my end game. Keeping the bass out of the doors and getting better sound is my goal. I have a small JL Audio mono amp and a JL Micro 8 box. That will add some low range. Should I just replace the speakers and do the sub and never look back? I had a '17 Ridgeline with a factory amp and it sounded better and I was happy with the door speakers, so I'm not too picky. Its just almost cheaper to put an amp on them than to buy 4 active crossovers at $20 each.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/axxess-...​​
Old 10-09-2018, 08:12 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

This is the route I am thinking of going. Don't have any experience with it, but it sounds like it would provide what we're both looking for. Maintains all factory function, but provides full-line signal to amps. Maybe someone on here can provide some firsthand info.

https://pac-audio.com/catalog/amppro...faces/ap4-ch41
Old 10-09-2018, 10:51 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by MidWestBoost
This is the route I am thinking of going. Don't have any experience with it, but it sounds like it would provide what we're both looking for. Maintains all factory function, but provides full-line signal to amps. Maybe someone on here can provide some firsthand info.

https://pac-audio.com/catalog/amppro...faces/ap4-ch41
Pac amp pro is for factory amplified vehicles only.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:39 AM
Prez Bill the Cat Society

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2018 302a XLT with the large screen as well ... How do you know if it is amped or not? I did not know that was even an option.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:01 AM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by Fafaafooie
I have a 2018 302a XLT with the large screen as well ... How do you know if it is amped or not? I did not know that was even an option.
It's not an option for xlt and below. Only lariat and up. B&O and Sony are the two examples of the factory amplified systems. Although, the pac amp pro will not work with the B&O system. 2017 and up would have the b&o logo on the center channel speaker on the dash.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:06 AM

Received 2,450 Likes on 1,552 Posts

2018 XL STX. I used the Parrot harness to install my Kenwood 1824bt 4ch amp in the dash right behind the 8" screen. It has RCA outputs that then run to my Rockford Fosgate 500x1d amp powering two shallow Rockford Fosgate 10s in a downfire box. I already had all the equipment, just needed the parrott harness. I haven't connected the RF sub amp yet, but the chimes work across the speakers just as before. No problems.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by artsr2002
2018 XL STX. I used the Parrot harness to install my Kenwood 1824bt 4ch amp in the dash right behind the 8" screen. It has RCA outputs that then run to my Rockford Fosgate 500x1d amp powering two shallow Rockford Fosgate 10s in a downfire box. I already had all the equipment, just needed the parrott harness. I haven't connected the RF sub amp yet, but the chimes work across the speakers just as before. No problems.
Even with Ign off? So when you shut your truck off and leave the lights on and have the door open, it still chimes? What LOC are you using? Also, how loud are the chimes? I assume that they are also amplified.

I will say that the factory radios power output is enough to keep up with the JL Audio 8" sub. So I can say that it appears to be as loud as Bose system in my last vehicle, it just doesn't sound as good.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:01 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

All chimes etc will work. Just use forescan instead of the LOC. You'll save money unless you really want to spend more, then I'm your man lol. As for the chimes being amplified, I think they might be but not certain. I haven't heard any chimes blasting my ears. I'm running 100 watt RMS to each of my speakers and have zero issues with loud chimes.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:20 PM

I figure at some point the chimes don't work because the amps are off. Not too concerning. The night before, I put in the JL amp and sub. I will do the speakers next week or this weekend.

I appreciate the offer for equipment, but I used to be an installer, so I get it for cost through the last shop I worked at. I installed for 20 years, quit 7 years ago. I installed Vipers when the shock sensor was mounted on a metal strap under the hood.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:04 PM

I found my answer

​​​​​​I tried the Forscan flatten EQ mod ONLY and it did not work. Still had a difference in bass to highs. What I did notice is the chimes went from the speakers to a module behind the cluster. Took a few key cycles to get it back to the speakers after resetting. Then it would not recognize my USB flash drive, kept repeating it even after I removed it. Panic set in. Reloaded the ACM orig again. SNAFU still have the EQ

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 XLT 302A - Want to add 4Ch Amp. Will I loose chimes? Is their a better way?