Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2017 XLT Sound System Options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 11:54 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Default 2017 XLT Sound System Options?

I have a 2017 XLT with the 300A equipment package and what I believe is the 6 speaker sound system (4 door speakers and 2 Tweeters in the Front Pillars). I also have basic SYNC with the 4.2" screen (non-touchscreen). Looking to upgrade but looking to keep it clean and factory-like.

Im at least looking at adding the Kicker Ford Accessories sub or the vehicle specific model from Kicker themselves that fits behind the seat. I DO NOT want to sacrifice my floor space by mounting a big sub-box under the rear seat. Likewise, I don't want to take up a lot of room behind the seat, as I use that for storage. So those Kicker options are really my only subwoofer options for me. One is 100 watts and plug and play and the other 200 with wiring to the battery. I'd much prefer plug and play unless the Ford Accessories one really sucks over the Kicker branded one. Any big differences between the two?

I don't want to switch the headunit unless theres an aftermarket headunit that retains a somewhat OEM look and functions of the SYNC system and IS plug and play and no custom wiring. Touchscreen preferably.

I would be up for installing an AMP for the Door speakers if there is one that will play well with the factory head unit and is not a pain in the rear to install.

And door speakers. If there are some that will play well with the Kicker Sub and the factory head unit and perhaps without an AMP if I decide I don't want to do that. I upgraded speakers in an older truck to Alpines and they didint sound too good because they needed an AMP and didint have one. They were actually a downgrade over stock speakers. I don't want to make that a mistake.

Im pretty happy with my stock system as it is and just want to enhance it without overhauling the whole system or doing alot of custom work. If there is some good plug and play upgrades, im all for it. I know custom is the best but the sound system isn't a huge priority for me. I might just be happy just adding the plug and play Kicker Sub.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-09-2018, 02:30 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by asdaven
I have a 2017 XLT with the 300A equipment package and what I believe is the 6 speaker sound system (4 door speakers and 2 Tweeters in the Front Pillars). I also have basic SYNC with the 4.2" screen (non-touchscreen). Looking to upgrade but looking to keep it clean and factory-like.

Im at least looking at adding the Kicker Ford Accessories sub or the vehicle specific model from Kicker themselves that fits behind the seat. I DO NOT want to sacrifice my floor space by mounting a big sub-box under the rear seat. Likewise, I don't want to take up a lot of room behind the seat, as I use that for storage. So those Kicker options are really my only subwoofer options for me. One is 100 watts and plug and play and the other 200 with wiring to the battery. I'd much prefer plug and play unless the Ford Accessories one really sucks over the Kicker branded one. Any big differences between the two?

I don't want to switch the headunit unless theres an aftermarket headunit that retains a somewhat OEM look and functions of the SYNC system and IS plug and play and no custom wiring. Touchscreen preferably.

I would be up for installing an AMP for the Door speakers if there is one that will play well with the factory head unit and is not a pain in the rear to install.

And door speakers. If there are some that will play well with the Kicker Sub and the factory head unit and perhaps without an AMP if I decide I don't want to do that. I upgraded speakers in an older truck to Alpines and they didint sound too good because they needed an AMP and didint have one. They were actually a downgrade over stock speakers. I don't want to make that a mistake.

Im pretty happy with my stock system as it is and just want to enhance it without overhauling the whole system or doing alot of custom work. If there is some good plug and play upgrades, im all for it. I know custom is the best but the sound system isn't a huge priority for me. I might just be happy just adding the plug and play Kicker Sub.

Any suggestions?
Start with new door speakers and add a sub. Go from there.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just added the kicker OEM kit; self install took about 20min (very easy) and the FORScan work took another hour (tricky, but not too bad). Nice upgrade -- bass is better everywhere, but like others have said, its not a dramatic upgrade. But I found I like that its not dramatic. On some songs, its dramatic. However, I'm not sure its worth the cost (approx $500). I'd look at better speakers to start, and maybe after that your local car stereo shop has ideas for how to discreetly mount an amp and sub.

BTW, my local dealers (three of them) wanted $160 for doing the computer upgrade. I was bummed about that, as I didn't want to mess with doing the FORScan stuff myself, and risk bricking my car!. But it turned out to be OK, relatively smooth.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:09 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

If you don't want to take up any space then you are really limited to what you can do. You'd be surprised at how much more midbass you'll pick up from the stock speakers by simply adding sound deadener to your doors. I sell a door kit if you are interested. PM me.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:12 PM

With the Kicker your paying for the ease of install. I think I'll go with that. I don't want dramatic....just "enhanced".

So, what speakers can I get that are relatively easy to install and will pair good with the stock headunit (4.2 Non Touchscreen Sync) and the Kicker OEM add-on without adding an AMP?

I upgraded the speakers in another vehicle before and they overdrove the headunit I had installed when turned up. They wanted to be amped and probably wouldn't have sounded like crap if Amped. So I want to avoid buying those types of speakers that don't sound good with a stock output setup.

Thanks-
Old 04-09-2018, 06:41 PM

Received 325 Likes on 240 Posts

I would go with the Kicker Hideaway vs the OEM Kicker. The Hideaway is 150w, smaller and cheaper ($300). It's also plug and play after you buy the Ford wiring harness (WPT-1212 I think) and wire it to the Hideaway.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:25 AM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 1,298 Likes on 904 Posts

Lots of people make the mistake of spending a lot of money on big speakers that cost a lot but then realize later that they need an amp to make them sound great. If you're only keeping the stock head unit then look for speakers that are designed to work off of factory power. They are usually the lower lines and cost significantly less but sound awesome with stock power. I hope that helps.

Serving the forum for over 8 years

Brands we sell include: Kicker, NavTV, PAC, CARiD, Dayton, Second Skin, Audio Control, Skar Audio, JL Audio, Focal and more.
PM me for special pricing as our contracts do not allow for posting prices publicly.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by HushCarAudio
Lots of people make the mistake of spending a lot of money on big speakers that cost a lot but then realize later that they need an amp to make them sound great. If you're only keeping the stock head unit then look for speakers that are designed to work off of factory power. They are usually the lower lines and cost significantly less but sound awesome with stock power. I hope that helps.
Yeah I've upgraded the speakers before and without an AMP, they sounded worse than the stock speakers. Id rather keep it stock at that point. Any speaker suggestions for a stock headunit and the factory Kicker Sub?

Quick Reply: 2017 XLT Sound System Options?