Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2017 STX Sync3 Best boom for my buck

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 12:09 PM
F150 XLT

Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts

Default 2017 STX Sync3 Best boom for my buck

Hi Guys, I picked up my new '17 F150 a week ago and as much as I love the truck, like most of you I find the stock audio lacking. I'm looking to upgrade the audio to where it's decent enough so that listening to music while driving is enjoyable.

Current truck setup: SuperCrew XL STX package with Start/Stop, Sync3 and 8" screen.

I want to keep the HU since its integrated into everything and I actually like it. Looking around, I see that Stage3 has a Kicker KS speaker upgrade package for the 4 main speakers (link: http://www.stage3motorsports.com/K-1...ase-Audio.html ).From what I've read here, that should be a decent upgrade from the paper speakers that Ford put's in their trucks. I realize that the stock HU only puts out 10/15 watts so I'm not sure if this will be enough, or if I need some sort of small 4x45watt amp for these speakers.

Next up, subwoofer. I've seen a number of you have purchased the Kicker Hideaway. For me, that's probably all the bass that I would need. Since it's already pre-amped, I can just plug it into the already existing wire harness and then activate the sub preout in the HU, right?

Bonus question: My Dad gave me his 10" Kicker Comp sub that's only a few years old and is still in great shape. Would I be better off getting a small box to mount under the seat and use this speaker (which would need an amp) or just aim for the Hideaway?

I'm not looking to break the bank for an audio upgrade, and I'm not looking to rattle my mirrors or vehicles next to me. I just want a good decent sounding system while enjoying this truck. Thank you for your opinions and suggestions.
The following users liked this post:
v8_STX (06-27-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 09:44 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA150
Hi Guys, I picked up my new '17 F150 a week ago and as much as I love the truck, like most of you I find the stock audio lacking. I'm looking to upgrade the audio to where it's decent enough so that listening to music while driving is enjoyable.

Current truck setup: SuperCrew XL STX package with Start/Stop, Sync3 and 8" screen.

I want to keep the HU since its integrated into everything and I actually like it. Looking around, I see that Stage3 has a Kicker KS speaker upgrade package for the 4 main speakers (link: http://www.stage3motorsports.com/K-1...ase-Audio.html ).From what I've read here, that should be a decent upgrade from the paper speakers that Ford put's in their trucks. I realize that the stock HU only puts out 10/15 watts so I'm not sure if this will be enough, or if I need some sort of small 4x45watt amp for these speakers.

Next up, subwoofer. I've seen a number of you have purchased the Kicker Hideaway. For me, that's probably all the bass that I would need. Since it's already pre-amped, I can just plug it into the already existing wire harness and then activate the sub preout in the HU, right?

Bonus question: My Dad gave me his 10" Kicker Comp sub that's only a few years old and is still in great shape. Would I be better off getting a small box to mount under the seat and use this speaker (which would need an amp) or just aim for the Hideaway?

I'm not looking to break the bank for an audio upgrade, and I'm not looking to rattle my mirrors or vehicles next to me. I just want a good decent sounding system while enjoying this truck. Thank you for your opinions and suggestions.

Anything is better than the stock stuff - just pulled mine out and it is CRAP! Take a look:
Name:  4D71BFB1-D056-4F7A-AB31-86DFA05935EE_zpsdbx9jiro.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  134.0 KB

I'd throw that Kicker 10 in a prefab box and put it under the seat or behind the seat. I had an RF 10 behind mine for ahwile. Buy yourself a JL JX500/1 for ~$200 and it will rock that 10.

Good luck!
GTA150 (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 12:33 PM
F150 XLT

Looking on Crutchfield, it tells me that 6.5" speakers can fit in both the front and rear doors. The front doors can go bigger to 6 3/4" or even 6x9". Are you guys liking 6x9s or the round?

Also, I grew up around Kicker and I know they are still a good speaker maker, but are there any better ones for the same price range?
Old 06-23-2017, 01:49 PM

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I use the 6x9 Kicker comp set https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CSS...3css694&tp=106 in my 2015 and really like it. I cut the old speakers out and mounted them in the original brackets. You can find "better" but it is really personal preference and budget. You will definitely want to amp your speakers up front if you are going to spend the money on a nice component set. I also agree slayer. Get a prefab box or build a simple one and your Kicker Comp would be nice. If you want something simple, the Kicker Hideaway will work fine.
GTA150 (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 02:24 PM
F150 XLT

Originally Posted by dpuc10
I use the 6x9 Kicker comp set https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CSS...3css694&tp=106 in my 2015 and really like it. I cut the old speakers out and mounted them in the original brackets. You can find "better" but it is really personal preference and budget. You will definitely want to amp your speakers up front if you are going to spend the money on a nice component set. I also agree slayer. Get a prefab box or build a simple one and your Kicker Comp would be nice. If you want something simple, the Kicker Hideaway will work fine.
Oh, so you upgraded your tweeters too. I read in some of the reviews that they didn't sound any better than stock so I really didn't look much into it. What's your take on the tweeters?

Will adding an amp, even like a 4x45 watt smallish amp be interrupted by my start/stop feature?

Right now I'm looking at the Kicker 43CSC6934 6x9 for the front and the Kicker 43CSC654 for the back.

Front: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CSC...tml?tp=105&l=C
Back: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CSC...tml?tp=105&l=D
Old 06-23-2017, 02:48 PM

Yeah, I have an all Kicker system in my 2015. I have the 654s in the rear and they are perfect for rear fill. You can use coax in the front but I wanted to keep the tweeters in the pillar and ran separate wires for the tweeters. It is really how much work you want to do. I am also getting ready to go active in the fronts and ditch the supplied crossovers which is another reason I went with a component set. If you use the coax up front, just make sure to unplug the tweeters or it will be very "bright" and you will have too much high range. I have a Kicker 300.4 and a 300.1 and they turn off when using start/stop so I jumped the wires and have start/stop disabled. I originally had an Alpine power pack KTP-445u, bridged the fronts and used the FOR-11CK harness so I could get power and not cut the factory wiring to power my components and it was not affected by the start/stop and worked without modification. It really depends on what and how many amps you use. What amp were you thinking for the fronts?
Old 06-23-2017, 03:33 PM
F150 XLT

Originally Posted by dpuc10
Yeah, I have an all Kicker system in my 2015. I have the 654s in the rear and they are perfect for rear fill. You can use coax in the front but I wanted to keep the tweeters in the pillar and ran separate wires for the tweeters. It is really how much work you want to do. I am also getting ready to go active in the fronts and ditch the supplied crossovers which is another reason I went with a component set. If you use the coax up front, just make sure to unplug the tweeters or it will be very "bright" and you will have too much high range. I have a Kicker 300.4 and a 300.1 and they turn off when using start/stop so I jumped the wires and have start/stop disabled. I originally had an Alpine power pack KTP-445u, bridged the fronts and used the FOR-11CK harness so I could get power and not cut the factory wiring to power my components and it was not affected by the start/stop and worked without modification. It really depends on what and how many amps you use. What amp were you thinking for the fronts?
I'm not sure. To be honest, I was trying to get away from not using an amp on the door speakers.

I see that the Kicker KS series is better than the DS series, and are cheaper than the CS series which is just able to handle more power... but since I am not really planning on providing them with an amp, that would be a waste.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:51 PM

If you go coax you will be fine without an amp. Even if you go component, it will work, just not the best setup.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:52 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA150
Oh, so you upgraded your tweeters too. I read in some of the reviews that they didn't sound any better than stock so I really didn't look much into it. What's your take on the tweeters?

Will adding an amp, even like a 4x45 watt smallish amp be interrupted by my start/stop feature?

Right now I'm looking at the Kicker 43CSC6934 6x9 for the front and the Kicker 43CSC654 for the back.

Front: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CSC...tml?tp=105&l=C
Back: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CSC...tml?tp=105&l=D
The stock tweeters are really harsh IMO - they are very easy to replace (finding a home for the crossovers is the challenge) and if you're going to buy a kicker coax, I'd really rec the same level component setup. You'll be glad you did.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:33 AM
F150 XLT

Originally Posted by duxslayer
The stock tweeters are really harsh IMO - they are very easy to replace (finding a home for the crossovers is the challenge) and if you're going to buy a kicker coax, I'd really rec the same level component setup. You'll be glad you did.
Hmm, so do you suggest I upgrade the tweeters, or get 3-way speakers for the doors and just unplug the pillar tweeters?

Also, what do you mean same level component setup? As in the series, or size? (sorry, this is all new to me)