Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2017 minor upgrade

Old 08-31-2017, 08:49 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2017 minor upgrade

I have a 2017 Screw with Sony. I want to replace the factory front speakers but do not want to cut or tap into any wires (cutting the wire to the tweeter in the pillar OK) and with the way wires are run from the body to the door, I do not want to attempt to run a wire from the door to the body. The way I see it I have 3 options

1) component speakers, run the door speaker off the existing wiring, wire the tweeter with the crossover with the factory tweeter power as the crossover input
2) component speaker, put the crossover in the door for the woofer with the door speaker power as the crossover input and buy a set of base blockers for the tweeter
3) buy a 2 way speaker for the door and disconnect the pillar tweeter

I am not an audiophile, just want to get a cleaner sound from the stereo, I do not see adding a processor and amp at a later time.

Which option above will produce the best sound? Am I missing any affordable / simple options?
Old 09-01-2017, 12:50 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't have the Sony setup ... but with my 7 speaker setup I just swapped Kicker KSC speakers throughout and the system definitely sounds better. 6x9s in the front doors and 6.5-inch in the rear doors with Metra 72-5602 harnesses to plug into the factory wiring and a Metra 82-5606 speaker bracket for the front 6x9 and Metra 82-3412 for the rear 6.5s. The front A-pillar tweeters are 1-inch and the center is 3.5-inch and there are no adapters for those locations so just cut into the factory wiring... also spliced in the appropriate bass blockers. Thinking I will add the OEM Kicker sub at some point down the road too
The following users liked this post:
GM150 (09-07-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 03:08 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by bojans
I have a 2017 Screw with Sony. I want to replace the factory front speakers but do not want to cut or tap into any wires (cutting the wire to the tweeter in the pillar OK) and with the way wires are run from the body to the door, I do not want to attempt to run a wire from the door to the body. The way I see it I have 3 options

1) component speakers, run the door speaker off the existing wiring, wire the tweeter with the crossover with the factory tweeter power as the crossover input
2) component speaker, put the crossover in the door for the woofer with the door speaker power as the crossover input and buy a set of base blockers for the tweeter
3) buy a 2 way speaker for the door and disconnect the pillar tweeter

I am not an audiophile, just want to get a cleaner sound from the stereo, I do not see adding a processor and amp at a later time.

Which option above will produce the best sound? Am I missing any affordable / simple options?
Your speakers are all crossed over at the Sony amp. I would just replace the speakers and not use the new crossover. Use the existing wiring.
GM150 (09-07-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Any diagrams or suggestions on mounting component speakers ?
Old 09-07-2017, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by GM150
Any diagrams or suggestions on mounting component speakers ?
Yes all over this forum. Most popular is in the factory speaker positions.
GM150 (09-08-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 08:47 PM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

2014 Sony here. I replaced the door speakers and apillar tweeter without using aftermarket crossovers. Installed JBL tweeters that have an inline filter included. Also added a powered sub to go with the Sony sub. Top of the line? No. Does it sound good to me? You bet.

Last edited by Tallyman89; 09-07-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Yes all over this forum. Most popular is in the factory speaker positions.
I have looked, but i'm specifically interested in mounting a component speaker,
mid bass on doors with the included crossover but i not sure about the tweeter.
i want to maintain the concealed factory look, as well as not void my warranty.
thanks.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:30 AM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

With Sony just replace the factory tweeter. With non-Sony, most install the tweeter in the sail panel upper corner of doors.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:20 AM

Thanks,
I have a non Sony system. No factory sub.
so I would just ignore the tweeter connection on passive crossover if the component speakers and connect the tweeters in the A pillar factory location using the factory harness?
Or would I have to run the wire from the door to the dash and ultimately A pillar to get the best sound?
Old 09-08-2017, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by GM150
Thanks,
I have a non Sony system. No factory sub.
so I would just ignore the tweeter connection on passive crossover if the component speakers and connect the tweeters in the A pillar factory location using the factory harness?
Or would I have to run the wire from the door to the dash and ultimately A pillar to get the best sound?
In your case you should use the new crossover. Use a new wire from the tweeter out on the crossover. Install the tweeters in the triangle shape at top of the door panel if you don't have factory tweeters in the A pillar

Search this Thread