Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2016 4.2" Head Unit Upgrade Questions.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:21 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default 2016 4.2" Head Unit Upgrade Questions.

I've scanned some of the threads here and elsewhere about swapping out my 4.2" screen and stereo for a double DIN unit.

I understand that PAC makes a well received console and adapters for this purpose.

I have some questions for those that have made the swap.

1. Is it correct that you lose the external temperature display that is currently on the 4.2" screen?
2. Regarding the back up camera, do you lose the reverse "guidelines"? How do you adjust them for the new screen or are they embedded in the camera's/truck's firmware?
3. Is the trailer back up system affected? I understand that you have to relocate the ****. Where to, though?
4. Where are folks mounting their GPS antennas?

Anything else that I'll be losing over the factory stereo?

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2017, 01:18 PM

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

1. Is it correct that you lose the external temperature display that is currently on the 4.2" screen? Yes that is correct its one thing I do miss the most. However when using Android Auto I do have the location temp on the main screen.

2. Regarding the back up camera, do you lose the reverse "guidelines"? How do you adjust them for the new screen or are they embedded in the camera's/truck's firmware? I have aftermarket backup which has the lines built in. My 4200NEX has the option to turn on/off backup lines for the unit which is good because I needed them off since its forced from the after market backup camera.

3. Is the trailer back up system affected? I understand that you have to relocate the ****. Where to, though? Base XL hopefully someone else can chime in.

4. Where are folks mounting their GPS antennas? I have the XL which did not come with sat antennas so when I was playing with sirius I ran the antenna on top of my dash. If you have the built in antenna on your truck I have seen people use that directly or get a splitter.

Anything else that I'll be losing over the factory stereo? voice commands only work thru your phone. I like streaming music from a USB device at times I would use voice commands to play a song which I no longer can do this.

Last edited by ray318; 09-28-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ray pretty well hit it on the head. I do have the trailer backup but I have not used it. I do miss the temp on screen but it has not been that big of a deal.

My truck is an xlt and had the small screen. I fount that there is still a gps module in front of the center channel speaker. Since I did not have any way to use that, I stuck the new gps antenna on top of it. Even though it is below the dash, the gps works good.

My new head unit appears to add its own lines and cones unless it is the PAC unit doing that.... I did have to adjust brightness and contrast to get my camera to look as good as it did on the factory screen.

If you are keeping Sirius you will need and adapter for the antenna.
The following users liked this post:
longbedbob (09-30-2017)
Old 03-03-2018, 02:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hope you don't mind me tagging onto this but I have the 2016 XL SCREW made for Mexico (being that I live in Mexico, after all) and it just has the basic stereo/screen.

I installed a backup camera that is visible through my SCT Tuner screen but I would like to make it all one unit.... is this remotely possible without dumping boatloads of money into it?

Be nice to have a NAV screen all integrated.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:00 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Sol Luz Mexico
Hope you don't mind me tagging onto this but I have the 2016 XL SCREW made for Mexico (being that I live in Mexico, after all) and it just has the basic stereo/screen.

I installed a backup camera that is visible through my SCT Tuner screen but I would like to make it all one unit.... is this remotely possible without dumping boatloads of money into it?

Be nice to have a NAV screen all integrated.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
You will need an aftermarket HU that supports a backup camera

Search this Thread