Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2015 XLT NAV, Amp and Sub upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 09:34 PM

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Default 2015 XLT NAV, Amp and Sub upgrade

So, I have a 2015 XLT SuperCrew with the 7 speaker non-Sony audio system. The previous two vehicles I owned both had the Sony Audio with sub and were OK but not amazing. This vehicle was barely OK and almost awful. I decided that the main problem was it was underpowered. As such, I came up with the plan that I executed on yesterday.

The list of components is as follows:

Kicker 700x5 amp
MTX Jack Hammer shallow mount sub
Sealed 10" down-fire sub box bought online
Audiocontrol LC7i
Parrot FOR-11CK harness

I also installed a chinese manufactured NAV and Video upgrade box that works with MyFord Touch. It is a secondary menu system that is accessed by pressing and holding the SYNC button on the steering wheel. The interface does mimic MyFord and includes Audio and Video players, Camera inputs and options and Navigation via a WinCE GPS system.

I had to find and setup the iGO Primo GPS app and maps but the device itself only cost me $360 shipped from China. I have created a short and sweet video just to show how it works.

I had the amp and subwoofer from my previous 2007 F150. I had a Kenwood Headunit in the '07 so I had to buy the LC7i for this install. I am glad I did not get the Sony audio, as it would have made this install far more difficult. Also, I have read a few threads on here where people were replacing the stock speakers. I know from previous experience that the amp is far more important than the speakers in sound improvement. The factory speakers sound amazingly better now that they are being pushed by a proper amount of wattage. I was pleasantly surprised by the sound they put out after the amp install.

The subwoofer box fits perfectly under the rear passenger seat. The Jack Hammer is decent for a shallow mount sub. The box is quite small so I am happy that it adds enough low-end to satisfy me for now. I also have a Kicker L5 in a slot ported box if I need more bass.

This upgrade has honestly exceeded my expectations in many ways. One, it is much louder and cleaner than I would have thought. Two, the factory front speakers are capable of pretty decent mid-base now that they are getting more power. The tweeters are also loud but not obnoxious. Finally, the chinese NAV box performs amazingly well. There are no delays when moving between menus and the iGO app runs extremely fast.

As far as iGO Primo goes, it is a great app. It has all the features you could ask for and has many options to customize the look and feel. I plan to try GarminXT on the device as well, but I need to get the maps for Garmin first.

Here is a link to the youtube video:

Here is the link to the device I purchased from China:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Facto...439848341.html

If you plan on ordering the GPS box, be sure to mention that it is for a 2015 F150 as the MyTouch screen and controller packaging is slightly different than previous years. The current F150 uses the same part as the Escape.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 XLT NAV, Amp and Sub upgrade-amp1.jpg   2015 XLT NAV, Amp and Sub upgrade-amp2.jpg   2015 XLT NAV, Amp and Sub upgrade-lc7i_1.jpg   2015 XLT NAV, Amp and Sub upgrade-lc7i_2.jpg   2015 XLT NAV, Amp and Sub upgrade-power.jpg  

2015 XLT NAV, Amp and Sub upgrade-sub2.jpg   2015 XLT NAV, Amp and Sub upgrade-sub3.jpg   2015 XLT NAV, Amp and Sub upgrade-sub4.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by naplesbill; 11-22-2015 at 09:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by naplesbill:
'15 Lariat (11-28-2015), Tlars (08-07-2016)
Old 11-22-2015, 09:57 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Best of luck with the Chinese gps.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Toddman34
Best of luck with the Chinese gps.
I am fully aware of others having issues with Chinese manufactured GPS units. However, this is not a replacement unit. This is the same design and functionality of several of the "integrated" GPS systems for MyFord Touch that are all over ebay and Amazon for $1k. I took the plunge based on the price so I am willing to risk it. The performance and features are great so far.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:36 PM
One Clean Machine

Keeps us updated, hope it works out better than the rest!
Old 11-24-2015, 01:02 PM

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

Where is that power feed coming through? I could not find a way to do it on the passenger side and ending up going through the hood release on the drivers.

Also to add another data point - I agree with the stock speaker assessment. They sound great with power. I'm running a clarion 75x4 amp and they will throw down some bass now and get loud. I was very surprised.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:51 PM
One Clean Machine

Nevermind, I thought you added a cheap replacement screen with chinese nav built in. I didnt notice you slready had the oem 8" touch screen, then added nav.!
Old 11-25-2015, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by BStrummin
Where is that power feed coming through? I could not find a way to do it on the passenger side and ending up going through the hood release on the drivers.

Also to add another data point - I agree with the stock speaker assessment. They sound great with power. I'm running a clarion 75x4 amp and they will throw down some bass now and get loud. I was very surprised.
The power feed is through the grommet for the hood release. There was an extra nub there that I punch through and ran the wire.

The stock speakers definitely woke up with more power. I may eventually upgrade the speakers but it is not in any way an urgent need.
The following users liked this post:
BStrummin (11-26-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Toddman34
Nevermind, I thought you added a cheap replacement screen with chinese nav built in. I didnt notice you slready had the oem 8" touch screen, then added nav.!
Correct, I have read many bad reviews on the all-in-one Chinese units. This device is well designed and so far has functioned without a hitch. I am hoping to hack the WinCE OS at some point but that will be much later.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:34 AM

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by naplesbill
The power feed is through the grommet for the hood release. There was an extra nub there that I punch through and ran the wire.

The stock speakers definitely woke up with more power. I may eventually upgrade the speakers but it is not in any way an urgent need.
I disagree. Just hooked up my kicker system and yes the amp helped the factory speakers but then input in the kicker 6x8s and its way better. Do it, its a cheap enough upgrade
Old 12-15-2015, 10:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where did you buy the sub box from? also looks like they dont make that sub anymore...shame

Quick Reply: 2015 XLT NAV, Amp and Sub upgrade