Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2015 + power lead to amp problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 09:52 AM

Received 116 Likes on 87 Posts
Default 2015 + power lead to amp problem

Can ya'll share how you ran your power wire from the battery to the rear seat on your 2015+ F-150? Specifically, how you ran it through the firewall. Looking to run a 4 Ga wire down the passenger side but am unsure how to best get it through the firewall. I see the big grommet with what looks like a plug that can be cut and I've also hears that there is a separate grommet below and to the left of the big one noted above. Can't see this extra grommet in mine though.

Pictures would be extremely helpful.

Thanks
Old 08-08-2016, 07:42 AM

BTT
Old 08-08-2016, 05:56 PM

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Not sure what model you have but I was able to tap into the power wire from the power inverter on my Lariat that was already under the back seat. But I also see that you are running a 4 gauge wire so my solution my not work for you. The wire I had available was a 10 guage.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:12 PM

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

If you look on the passenger side firewall there should be a round rubber grommet. It probably already has wires going through it. I think there is one on the driver side also but it's harder to see. When it comes to stuff like this, youtube is your friend, the tutorials are top notch.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Trailbreak74
If you look on the passenger side firewall there should be a round rubber grommet. It probably already has wires going through it. I think there is one on the driver side also but it's harder to see. When it comes to stuff like this, youtube is your friend, the tutorials are top notch.

How to Install amplifier ford f150 2015 2016 - YouTube
Really appreciate your response and the trouble to post that youtube video. I would never run a power cord through a grommet like they showed in that video. Pair of needle nose pliers and shoving the cord through with a screwdriver? Just no is all I could think watching that.

thanks again though.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by ab46501
Not sure what model you have but I was able to tap into the power wire from the power inverter on my Lariat that was already under the back seat. But I also see that you are running a 4 gauge wire so my solution my not work for you. The wire I had available was a 10 guage.
Yeah, I have one of those to. Will look into it and see though I'd prefer to go straight from the Battery.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:38 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by covertness
Yeah, I have one of those to. Will look into it and see though I'd prefer to go straight from the Battery.
Best to go straight to battery. The grommet in the 2014 was blank. I don't know about the 15/16s
Old 08-08-2016, 08:08 PM

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

Really appreciate your response and the trouble to post that youtube video. I would never run a power cord through a grommet like they showed in that video. Pair of needle nose pliers and shoving the cord through with a screwdriver? Just no is all I could think watching that.

thanks again though.
You might be able to do a slightly neater job then he did. That is the grommet most people use, and the video does show what it looks like. And also, that's just the first tutorial I saw, there are dozens more if you want to look for a different method.

Not sure how you are gonna get through the firewall without putting a hole in anything.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Trailbreak74
You might be able to do a slightly neater job then he did. That is the grommet most people use, and the video does show what it looks like. And also, that's just the first tutorial I saw, there are dozens more if you want to look for a different method.

Not sure how you are gonna get through the firewall without putting a hole in anything.
I want to go through the one on the passenger side. Just would like to see a picture of somebody who's done that already. There's a part that sticks out like it's made to be cut for something to go through. That's my planned route right now unless I can see a better option.

thanks again
Old 08-09-2016, 01:05 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I want to go through the one on the passenger side. Just would like to see a picture of somebody who's done that already.
Hey Covertness,
That's the route I took for my power cable, it is a PIA though as the grommet has an inner wall that you have to punch through as well as cutting the end off the protrusion in the engine compartment. With the fuse box being right there it can be quite difficult getting a hole through the inner wall of the grommet, I used a drill bit and turned it with my fingertips for about 30 minutes to get through, if you go this route, make sure whatever you are using to make the hole is going through straight, the slightest inclination downward and you will be getting into the existing wires.

Passenger Side Grommet

The hole in the protrusion is only big enough for around 8 ga. wire, you may be able to get 4 ga. through it if you lube it up though.

Last edited by Anzilla82; 08-09-2016 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Word was lacking a letter

Quick Reply: 2015 + power lead to amp problem