Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2015 Audio Upgrade Help

Old 11-23-2018, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Audio Upgrade Help

Hi all. I have a 2015 Lariat with Sync 3 (I upgraded myself) and non-sony version stereo and I used Forescan to get rid of the fake engine noise. I purchased my vehicle in May 2015 and upgraded the stock speakers to some cheap Kenwoods and installed a Kicker 40TCWS102 sub with a Kicker 12Cx300.a amp in Jan 2016. At the time, no car audio place had any idea how to do this and the only instructions I could find were on this forum and it was this post. I did not do a DSP at the time as everyone who had said how bad it was because at the time no one knew how to get rid of the fake engine noise. Fast forward to today, and a lot has changed and I want to get a DSP/EQ as well as upgrade at least the front speakers to components to get rid of the crappy tweater ford has.

I am wanting to install a DSP, looking at a Kicker Front Row (I don't want to spend too much) and an amp (haven't picked one out). I want to keep the volume control at the sync 3 and don't want to use a separate remote (seperate remote for tweaking is fine but I don't want to have to tweak all the time as volume increases). I notice that when I turn my volume up, the sub stops going up at some point and I would like this to be fixed. I need to know how to install the DSP/amp for the front speakers. I have heard talk of a CARAV T-Cable but don't know what I need it for and if I need it how I connect it to a DSP. Here are my basic questions:
  1. Do I need to bypass the stock stereo and if so, how?
  2. Do I need a CARAV t-cable or something like it, why, and what do I connect it to?
  3. What front left and right +/- wires do I tap into to route to the DSP and where?
  4. I currently run the sub off of the rear channels (as they didn't have the fake engine noise). Is this the right approach or should I use different connection points?
  5. I have heard talk of the stock stereo having aux 1 and 2 and sub/amp out. I haven't confirmed if this is part of the non-sony version and what wires I need to connect to so that I can enable it in forescan (I do see the option in forescan options). Should I be connecting the DSP for the Sub portion to this and if so, what wires and which exact thing do I enable in forescan. I have the forescan 2015-2018 F150s.xlsx I found on this site.
  6. Anything else I should know?
  7. Any trick to getting rid of the loud pop some hear when they turn off the vehicle and the DSP turns off before the amp and sub
I am thinking this information is already on this forum in multiple other posts but I have been having trouble answering the above questions so I apologize up front for missing the info. Also, any recommendations on an amp. For DSPs, I have looked at the AudioControl products as well and am not apposed to it. Thank you all in advance for the help!!
Old 11-25-2018, 02:51 PM

Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts

The FOR11-ck harness, a Dayton Audio DSP, and amp(s) to drive your choice of speakers is all you really need, along with the appropriate wiring.

You do not need to cut/splice/tap any factory wires.

To get full use of a DSP, you will need one amp channel for every speaker hooked to it. (2 front woofers, 2 front tweeters, 1 subwoofer, & 2 rears if desired)
The following users liked this post:
Mallard27 (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 03:55 PM

Thank you! A couple of questions:
1. Are there instructions that say which colors go to what speakers on the FOR11-ck?
2. I assume I can use the FOR11-ck to connect to any line output converter or DSP, correct?
2. If my component speakers have a crossover, do I still need a separate amp channel for the woofer and tweeter or is this specifically if I am using the DSP you suggested because it does the crossover?
3. Will I still be able to use the stereo to control the volume with the DSP you suggested?

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2018, 05:23 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by dhmcfadin:
Mallard27 (11-25-2018), Shane803 (11-28-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 06:10 PM

Thank you! Are there wires for the center channel? Also, what about the tweeters or do I need to run those separately when I get the component speakers? Also, I am still a bit confused on how I use the FOR11-ck. If I connect the wires out to the DSP and then Amp, how do I connect the Amp to the speakers?
Old 11-25-2018, 06:44 PM

Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Mallard27
Thank you! A couple of questions:
1. Are there instructions that say which colors go to what speakers on the FOR11-ck?
See above

2. I assume I can use the FOR11-ck to connect to any line output converter or DSP, correct?
Yes. A converter is not needed, though.

2. If my component speakers have a crossover, do I still need a separate amp channel for the woofer and tweeter or is this specifically if I am using the DSP you suggested because it does the crossover?
If you use the crossovers supplied with your components, you only need one amp channel per side. However, you will lose the ability to adjust crossover points and slopes, and you won't be able to time align the indivial speakers. You would be left with only left/right time alignment and EQ functions.

3. Will I still be able to use the stereo to control the volume with the DSP you suggested?
Yes

Thanks!
Hope that helps.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:48 PM

That helps a lot! What would time aligning the individual speakers give me and what will the adjustment on crossover points/slopes do? I was told by Crutchfield that the component speakers that come with crossovers are specifically tuned for the tweeters so will I loose or gain if I mess with the crossover points/slopes?

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2018, 06:57 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by Mallard27
That helps a lot! What would time aligning the individual speakers give me and what will the adjustment on crossover points/slopes do? I was told by Crutchfield that the component speakers that come with crossovers are specifically tuned for the tweeters so will I loose or gain if I mess with the crossover points/slopes?

Thanks!
Just stick with the crossovers that come with the components. Don't worry. Time aligning left/right will be fine at this level. You will be very happy with the outcome.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:53 PM

What do you recommend for speaker wires to run from the harness to the DSP and from amp back to harness? Is there a cable that I can get that has 8 pairs in it or do I need to run 8 speaker wires to the harness from the rest of the setup? Also, I plan to run a capacitor for the sub because though it runs during ecoboost car off, it drops when the car turns back on. Any idea if having a capacitor will solve this drop?
Old 11-28-2018, 01:08 AM

I found several options with 9 conductor 18 AWG speed wire. Is 18 AWG sufficient to run from the harness to the DSP and from the amp to the harness?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Audio Upgrade Help