Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2014 Sony/Nav Head-unit Sound Upgrade - Calling on all with experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Sony/Nav Head-unit Sound Upgrade - Calling on all with experience

Hi, my first post here.

I just bought a 2014 Screw FX4 and love the features of the Ford Sync/Sony Nav system. But at high levels, the sound quality just PLAIN STINKS. The bass disappears at high levels and loud is not all that loud. I have done the research and now know you must keep the Sony amp under the center console as it is integrated into the system and without it, you lose volume control. What a design!!!

So I have some sound equipment that I pulled from my '03 Screw (may she rest in peace) that I will use to "upgrade the sound". I have always done my own car audio installs so I have decent experience.

I will do it in stages and plan to minimize/keep it simple. Here is my plan:

1. Install after market powered 120 watt subwoofer.
2. Install (2) 300 watt Alpine amps (4-channels each to drive only 7 speakers).
3. Replace speakers.

I would normally replace speakers first but I have 1 & 2 from my '03 and can do #1 tomorrow and #2 in a few weekends. 1 & 2 have low and high level inputs so I can use the output from the Sony amp to drive them. (I don't like amplifying amplified sound but have little choice in the Sony stock system).

My dilemma is this: the first and easiest mod would be to replace the Sony sub with my low profile 120 watt sub. Just wire it in place. It auto-senses sound so no remote wire needed. BUT, I have read that the Sony system limits the sub sound at high levels to protect it from damage.

Question #1 Is this true? Is this why bass seems to disappears at high levels? If so, would this happen to my aftermarket sub if I used the existing wired setup?

If so, my amps have a summed low-level output that I can used to drive the subwoofer. Then I won't have to worry about the high-level limit/cutoff. But then I would just keep both. Would this muddy the bass if I kept both? Should I just disconnect the junk Sony sub?

I will update this thread and post pics as I move through installation. Anyone who has added or replaced a sub; your advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:52 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

you don't want to run lines from the sony amp right to your amp. they are amplified lines and likely the voltage is way too high for your amps to handle. there are products out there that will do what you want but as i have never had to deal with this i can't give you links. search around on the forum and you will find threads about this.

from what i have read on here it is true that the low end frequencies roll off/are limited as the volume goes higher. unless you get something to compensate for this (again, search this forum as there are posts about it) you will most likely run into the same problem with your sub.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by nineball
you don't want to run lines from the sony amp right to your amp. they are amplified lines and likely the voltage is way too high for your amps to handle. there are products out there that will do what you want but as i have never had to deal with this i can't give you links. search around on the forum and you will find threads about this.

from what i have read on here it is true that the low end frequencies roll off/are limited as the volume goes higher. unless you get something to compensate for this (again, search this forum as there are posts about it) you will most likely run into the same problem with your sub.

Thanks for the reply. The amps and powered subwoofers have inputs to accept amplified signals (usually from a factory head unit). So that is OK.

About the sub rolling off, I suspect that too but before modifying any wiring, I would love to hear from someone who has installed an additional sub using the existing output from the Sony HU/Amp.

I have extensively searched the forum but haven't found answers to my very specific situation.

Thanks again for your reply.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:34 PM

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by drblank1
Thanks for the reply. The amps and powered subwoofers have inputs to accept amplified signals (usually from a factory head unit). So that is OK.
no, it's not the same thing. the high level inputs on your amp are ok if you connect it to a stock headunit but that is not what you are doing. you want to connect it to the sony amp outputs, and the lines coming out of that are significantly more powerful than a headunit-direct signal.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by nineball
no, it's not the same thing. the high level inputs on your amp are ok if you connect it to a stock headunit but that is not what you are doing. you want to connect it to the sony amp outputs, and the lines coming out of that are significantly more powerful than a headunit-direct signal.
I checked my amp manual and it said it can accept normal speaker level inputs and high powered/amplified inputs (again, not ideal). Doesn't give me a power limit but if you ever heard the Sony system in the Ford, then you know it's not more powerful than a high-powered head unit. All they did what take the amp out of the head unit and placed it under the center console. And the power ratings on the amp and subwoofer are a joke.

But I will be checking with Alpine just to make sure.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:45 PM

Well, I found the thread about stuffing the sub with poly-fill. All I can is is WOW!!! I can actually feel the rumble in my seat. I was skeptical but what a difference!!! If you still have the Sony sub and haven't filled it, you are missing out!!!

Since the sub works much better now, I am changing my approach and replacing the factory speakers to see what improvement that makes. Anyone done this? How did it work out?
Old 03-13-2017, 06:15 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by drblank1
Well, I found the thread about stuffing the sub with poly-fill. All I can is is WOW!!! I can actually feel the rumble in my seat. I was skeptical but what a difference!!! If you still have the Sony sub and haven't filled it, you are missing out!!!

Since the sub works much better now, I am changing my approach and replacing the factory speakers to see what improvement that makes. Anyone done this? How did it work out?
Replacing the stock speakers is probably the first upgrade you should do.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:54 AM

I purchased RF Punch 6x8 speakers for the rear and Kicker component speakers for the front. All for $153 (found incredible deals and Crutchfield price matched). Did the easiest replacement first: the rear. Took about 30 minutes. The sound in the rear is much better. Hopefully, I will get to the front this weekend.