Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2013 with myford install questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 05:07 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts
Default 2013 with myford install questions

I am the proud new owner of a 2013 SuperCrew XLT with the my Ford stereo. I'm not making plans to get rid of the factory crap and do my own setup. I have a few questions for people who have installed their own already

1. does the factory stereo attenuate the bass frequencies at higher volumes? I have heard yes, & I have heard no. the latest that I have heard is that is attenuated the rears but does not attenuate the fronts. Can anyone verify what is true?

2. it seems that the PAC unit for the Fords does not work with the 2013 stereo. That leaves the option of tapping into the front speaker wires and using a processor or line out converter. Where did you guys tap into your speaker wires? Is there access to the wires near the kick panels or do I have to go back behind the stereo? can anyone give me the color codes of the wires?

3. where are you guys drawing your remote turn on leads from?

Last edited by king nothing; 12-12-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

1. If you have the Sony system, yes it does attenuate bass levels to all speakers at higher levels. If you don't have the Sony system, then no I don't believe it reduces any output.

2. I have the Sony system so I just tapped into the factory subwoofer wires and they provide the signal needed for the new sub and amp. There are various discussions in this section and in others that go into the specific wiring colors for doors. Most get it from the passenger side B pillar between the front and rear seats, but since I didn't go that route, I would just advise you to search a bit on the colors.

3. On the 2013's, Fuse 38 in the front passenger kick panel is a perfect remote turn on lead. Get an "add-a-circuit" from a local parts store or online and it will give you the 10amp circuit you need to activate the amps. That fuse's power is entirely tied to the stereo, so it will stay on after the truck is turned off and until you open the door, just like the factory stereo does. The fuse is in the middle column of fuses, 2nd or 3rd from the bottom. You can read in your manual and see where it is and what it is. They describe it as "Stereo/accessory delay" or something to that effect.

Offtopic but love the username. Great song too
Old 12-13-2013, 12:05 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

Thanks TJ. After doing a little more research and some listening to a few bass-heavy songs, I think you are right about the attenuation. I don't have the Sony stereo and it seems I had good bass right up until the speakers couldn't handle it anymore. I also found that my sub amp has signal sensing high level inputs so I'm going to get a matching 4 channel. I think what I'm going to do is tap the front speaker wires at the kicks and run them back to the amps high level inputs and see if I like the sound. If not, I'll add an equalizer like an audio control EQL or EQX

Quick Reply: 2013 with myford install questions