Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2012 XLT w/o Sync, audio upgrade questions?

Old 06-28-2018, 12:53 AM
SoFlo5.0_4x4

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
Question 2012 XLT w/o Sync, audio upgrade questions?

So any info from audiophiles will be greeatly appreciated in this thread. Well I have a 2012 XLT Supercrew without Sync. It had the basic radio when I got it. But I had a Pioneer AVH-601EX headunit put in (by a local shop because I really didn't have the time for it and it was a great deal), and recently ordered a pair of JBL Stage 8602 6"x8" that I will be putting in myself this week. I was just curious, is there anything wrong with using these speakers with the factory setup or with the Pioneer headunit? I'm pretty good when it comes to wiring and electrical stuff but not too much of an expert on audio. I don't know the specs for the factory system or honestly the difference between 2 channel and 3 channel speakers. I plan on solder splicing these in. Soon I plan on replacing the pillar tweeters and rear factory speakers too, and later on I plan on putting in 2x 10" subs under the rear seat with an amplifier. I also wanted to put in a Pioneer backup camera which should pretty much be plug and play with this headunit right? Also, how can I test if the pillar tweeters are working. Not gonna lie, I don't trust the shop that put in the headunit and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't connect them. I think they didn't connect the Sirius radio antenna either. I don't plan on spending too much. Honestly, kind of a budget build that I am piecing together over time. Just want to improve and upgrade from the factory setup. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

Speakers I got from Crutchfield:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109STA..._8602&skipvs=T

Headunit I have:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130601...AVH-601EX.html

Rear camera I plan on getting:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130NDB...er-ND-BC8.html

Old 06-28-2018, 02:32 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Your speakers are good. They are 2 way which are fine. Your tweeters are hard wired to the door speakers so they will still work when you replace the door speakers. The door speakers will run fine with your head unit. Get these adapters instead of soldering.
Amazon Amazon
You can do better than that camera for that much money. Not really plug in play. You will need to mount it and string the RCA cable under the truck to your head unit for to to see it. Also some wiring for power and ground in the back.
As for the Sirius, did you buy the additional module? They also make an antenna adapter for that.

Last edited by Wyo11Scab; 06-28-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:51 PM
SoFlo5.0_4x4

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
Your speakers are good. They are 2 way which are fine. Your tweeters are hard wired to the door speakers so they will still work when you replace the door speakers. The door speakers will run fine with your head unit. Get these adapters instead of soldering. https://www.amazon.com/Metra-72-5600-Speaker-Adapters-Vehicles/dp/B01GBPWAXW/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Ford%7C54&Model=F-150%7C666&Year=2012%7C2012&ie=UTF8&n=1077068&newVe hicle=1&s=car&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive
You can do better than that camera for that much money. Not really plug in play. You will need to mount it and string the RCA cable under the truck to your head unit for to to see it. Also some wiring for power and ground in the back.
As for the Sirius, did you buy the additional module? They also make an antenna adapter for that.
Wow, thanks man. The adapters came with it which you can splice in, but I thought soldering would give you better fidelity and and quality over crimp-in splicing. Of course they would be covered in heat shrink electrical insulation as well. I went to 2M school last year so I'm pretty good at soldering. If not, I can use marine heat shrink butt connectors. Below I'll post pics of the type of splice I was going to do, and the butt connectors I could use instead so you have an idea.

As for the camera, thats not too bad at all. Routing it should be simple enough. Should be a factory harness I can follow. I had been looking at setups people did with CB radios anyways which gave me some ideas as to how to route the wiring into the cab. I saw a few other cameras for the F150 but I was worried about the compatibility with the Pioneer headunit, and fit and finish of the piece.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_249CFD...ew-Camera.html

And my truck did come with Sirius from the factory, it has the antenna and had the switch for it. I just didn't have the subscription.

The power wiring you are refering to would be for the subs and amplifier correct? Its best to run them straight to the battery with a fuse right?

Last edited by SD_F1504x4; 06-28-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by SD_F1504x4
Wow, thanks man. The adapters came with it which you can splice in, but I thought soldering would give you better fidelity and and quality over crimp-in splicing. Of course they would be covered in heat shrink electrical insulation as well. I went to 2M school last year so I'm pretty good at soldering. If not, I can use marine heat shrink butt connectors. Below I'll post pics of the type of splice I was going to do, and the butt connectors I could use instead so you have an idea.You can solder the adapters to the speakers and then they will plug in to the factory harnesses.

As for the camera, thats not too bad at all. Routing it should be simple enough. Should be a factory harness I can follow. I had been looking at setups people did with CB radios anyways which gave me some ideas as to how to route the wiring into the cab. I saw a few other cameras for the F150 but I was worried about the compatibility with the Pioneer headunit, and fit and finish of the piece.There won't be any compatibility issues with any camera you use.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_249CFD...ew-Camera.html

And my truck did come with Sirius from the factory, it has the antenna and had the switch for it. I just didn't have the subscription. The factory Ford module will not work with an aftermarket HU.

The power wiring you are refering to would be for the subs and amplifier correct? Its best to run them straight to the battery with a fuse right? The wiring I mentioned will be for the reverse camera. It needs to be wired into the backup light harness. Power and ground

All your answers are in bold
Old 07-02-2018, 04:49 AM
SoFlo5.0_4x4

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
All your answers are in bold
Thanks man. Much appreciate you taking your time to provide me with this info. Speakers were so easy, want to do the rears soon. I was able to make out the tweeters too hearing a song with some piano keys. Lol. Should I go with that same set of speakers for the rear? What size is recommended?
Old 07-04-2018, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by SD_F1504x4
Thanks man. Much appreciate you taking your time to provide me with this info. Speakers were so easy, want to do the rears soon. I was able to make out the tweeters too hearing a song with some piano keys. Lol. Should I go with that same set of speakers for the rear? What size is recommended?

I lot of people go to Crutchfield for info on size etc. I would use the same brand in the rear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 XLT w/o Sync, audio upgrade questions?