Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2012 system build, help, speakers, rockford

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 10:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2012 system build, help, speakers, rockford

**Factory non Sony system
First timer need help...didn't do much research hopefully didn't get junk

Ditched the OEM speakers the other day and put in Rockford Fosgate Prime 6x8s
Component up front with new tweeters
Coaxial in rear
40 watts rms

160$ for full set? Good...Bad?

They sound good but not really loud or a lot of bass

Audio shop is calling tomorrow, I'm getting a quote for a amp and single 10" sub, but I'm lost on what "channel" amp to get, I guess finish and get all Rockford , should I amp these speakers or are they to weak to even bother? I'm sticking with stock head unit cause I don't want to mess with the sync system.. Any tips are welcome...I was just going to get a "powered" sub but he said It wouldn't fit under my back seat
Old 05-20-2013, 10:14 PM

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Fosgate stuff isn't too bad....anything is better than the stock speakers.

If you want to power everything off of a single amp you should get a 5 channel amp to do that.

Since you're keeping the stock head unit you'll want to get a LOC to convert the speaker level input into RCA's to feed your amp. Even if the amp has speaker level inputs you'll want to use a LOC and RCA's for better sound quality.

BTW...there's several options out there to go with an aftermarket head unit and still keep Sync. Do some digging around in this sub-forum to get some ideas.
The following users liked this post:
ernierob130 (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 03:30 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by ernierob130
**Factory non Sony system
First timer need help...didn't do much research hopefully didn't get junk

Ditched the OEM speakers the other day and put in Rockford Fosgate Prime 6x8s
Component up front with new tweeters
Coaxial in rear
40 watts rms

160$ for full set? Good...Bad?

They sound good but not really loud or a lot of bass

Audio shop is calling tomorrow, I'm getting a quote for a amp and single 10" sub, but I'm lost on what "channel" amp to get, I guess finish and get all Rockford , should I amp these speakers or are they to weak to even bother? I'm sticking with stock head unit cause I don't want to mess with the sync system.. Any tips are welcome...I was just going to get a "powered" sub but he said It wouldn't fit under my back seat
Components really don't come alive unless they amped....or so they say. Check out the FRD-24 thread about an easy way to add the amp rca's.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your going to change the door speakers you should find speakers thru ranges from 125 rms to 75 rms. Then you'll be kicking some sound.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ford479hp
If your going to change the door speakers you should find speakers thru ranges from 125 rms to 75 rms. Then you'll be kicking some sound.
Yeah the Rockfords are 40
I'm going to get a sub and amp to help but I won't get a 5 channel if these speakers aren't worth running an amp for...they said about getting 1, 3, or 5..the speakers sound great and don't distort with higher volume.. Just missing Allot of bass.. Deciding on *which amp & either 1 10" or 1 12" sub

Also I'm still searching on these double din head units but I don't need *navigation *dvd player basically I listen to I tunes, pandora and slacker online radio thoroughly the sync with my phone...
Old 05-22-2013, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ernierob130

Yeah the Rockfords are 40
I'm going to get a sub and amp to help but I won't get a 5 channel if these speakers aren't worth running an amp for...they said about getting 1, 3, or 5..the speakers sound great and don't distort with higher volume.. Just missing Allot of bass.. Deciding on *which amp & either 1 10" or 1 12" sub

Also I'm still searching on these double din head units but I don't need *navigation *dvd player basically I listen to I tunes, pandora and slacker online radio thoroughly the sync with my phone...
I got one 13.5in shallow SUB from JL AUDIO. 600 rms max but im staying around 500 rms. My box is custom to fit underneath the rear passenger seat behind the driver side. The cubic ft recommend is .80 but my custom box is .70 so it's just a tab short still good enough. I
The following users liked this post:
Husker991 (05-23-2013)

Quick Reply: 2012 system build, help, speakers, rockford