Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2012 Screw Speakers, amp, and sub?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 12:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2012 Screw Speakers, amp, and sub?

Hoping for some insight here. I'm looking for clear crisp sound, I do not need to rattle the license plate screws out

Base radio with sync:

I'm going to purchase Infinity speakers, (6829's or 6832's) for front and rear (possibly 6830cs components for the front), and an amplifier for these 4 speakers. I will also, at a later date, like to add a sub under the rear seat.

So with that in mind, I'm looking at the AudioControl LC6i, mainly because of it's AutoMode that will take the front and rear signal inputs, and give me Front, Rear and a 3rd channel output, which I could use later for the sub box.

I'm torn between purchasing a 4 channel or 5 channel amplifier. I would rather keep this as simple as possible with just 1 amp/5 channels, but will I sacrifice quality by doing so with a 5 channel vs going with 2 amps (4 channel and a Mono)?

So my questions are:
4 vs 5 channel amp, and what brand? Infinity? Was looking at the Reference 5350a 5 channel
6829 vs 6832 vs Compnents in the front with tweeters

Also as a last note for this round, I'm budgeting $4-500 for this part of the install. The sub and possible second amp will be at a later date.

Thanks
Old 04-09-2014, 03:03 AM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

You will not lose quality by going with a 4 or 5 channel amp. I think in our trucks, a 5 channel is convenient and works nicely as the wattage from the manufacturers is well balanced from door speakers and sub(s) in the cab.

Your budget is going to tell you the amp to buy but after reading reviews on the one you listed, I would suggest finding something better rated. Rockford Fosgate and Kenwood make some nice 5 channel amps but I think the bang for the buck, power needed and quality is the JL Audio XD700/5.

We all have different ears so I won't get into the speaker suggestion thing but to achieve that crisp sound you are looking for, components are highly recommended for the front.

Lastly, I would not steer you away from the LC6i but if you are really an audio junky, you could skip either and get a DSP for the ultimate in control.

Good luck with your build!

Last edited by troutspinner; 04-09-2014 at 04:22 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:53 AM

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

...these are tough threads to comment on. It's like asking what kind of women you find attractive...you know? troutspinner is right about your budget driving the decision. And you often get what you pay for. Good luck deciding, as it takes a lot of research. You're lucky to have the web to use as a tool to read reviews/ check pricing.
(Of note: I have a 5 channel- and it has worked very nicely through 3 vehicles now, and is so much easier to place than separates- in my opinion. Mine is built onto the sub box, across the length of the back seat.)
Old 04-09-2014, 04:46 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

A nice 5 channel amp makes the install SO much easier. One power wire and ground. No distribution blocks to mess with. You don't have to spend big money in JL or Rockford. There are lots if good amps out there for 1/2 the price that will perform just as well. Hifonics, MBQuart, Soundstream, PPI, Cadence, Massive Audio. All make good equipment for good prices. You are just paying for the JL or Rockford name
Old 04-26-2014, 08:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, have some questions:

1. I'm going to purchase the AudioControl LC6i line out converter to come off the head stock unit. This will give me my pre-amp signals.

2. Speakers:
I'm definitely going with these for the fronts: Infinity Reference 6830cs - 2 Ohms, RMS 90w

I'm unsure of the following for the rear because of their Impedance (2 vs 4).
Infinity Kappa 682.11cf - 2 Ohms, RMS 5-100w
Infinity Kappa 682.9cf - 4 Ohms, RMS 2-100w

If I'm correct, when considering the layout of this setup and the amp, I have to make a choice between running the speakers at 2 or 4 ohms, but cannot have both.
---I'm assuming 2 ohms would be better?
---I'm also assuming that the sub woofer would have to be a 2 Ohm also.

3. Subwoofer
I'm looking at the JL Audio CP208LG-W3v3

4. Amplifier:
As for the amplifier, I'm still making a choice. It's going to be a 5 channel obviously so there is less to wire in. I'm going to set my price at $250 for this component. I know I cannot buy the top of the line name, but I should be able to get a decent amplifier for that price.

Infinity Kappa Five: 2 ohms: 75 watts x 4 chan. + 300 watts x 1 chan.
MB Quart NA710.5: 2 ohms: 90 watts x 4 chan. + 2 ohms: 350 watts x 1 chan.

Input and suggestions are appreciated.

I chose the Infinity speakers because of past experience with them. I had components in the front and 6x9's in the rear, with a dual 10" sub, and 2 amps driving everything in an Eagle Talon and was extremely happy with them. Of course, that was better than 10 yrs ago

Last edited by Daimyo68; 04-26-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:09 PM
LONE STAR

Received 629 Likes on 432 Posts

I was just at an audio store today shopping for speakers. I know it's all subjective but I think I'm going for the Hertz speakers. I'll need 4 in the regular cab.....
Old 04-26-2014, 10:42 PM

Since you have several questions I will answer them in bold below
Originally Posted by Daimyo68
Ok, have some questions:

1. I'm going to purchase the AudioControl LC6i line out converter to come off the head stock unit. This will give me my pre-amp signals.

I would suggest the LC7i. Although I have not personally confirmed this, it is generally accepted that the factory stereo attenuates the low frequencies at higher volumes. The LC7i is able to restore the bass that that is lost.

2. Speakers:
I'm definitely going with these for the fronts: Infinity Reference 6830cs - 2 Ohms, RMS 90w

I'm unsure of the following for the rear because of their Impedance (2 vs 4).
Infinity Kappa 682.11cf - 2 Ohms, RMS 5-100w
Infinity Kappa 682.9cf - 4 Ohms, RMS 2-100w

If I'm correct, when considering the layout of this setup and the amp, I have to make a choice between running the speakers at 2 or 4 ohms, but cannot have both.
---I'm assuming 2 ohms would be better?
---I'm also assuming that the sub woofer would have to be a 2 Ohm also.

Your amp will make more power into a 2 ohm load. Your speakers MIGHT be slightly louder, but it probably wont be noticeable. Personally I never run rear speakers. What I would do is ditch the rears altogether and spend the money saved on a nice set of components for the front. Just because you run 2 ohm speakers on one channel doesnt mean you have to run the same impedance on all channels

3. Subwoofer
I'm looking at the JL Audio CP208LG-W3v3

That sub should do well for you. It wouldnt be my first choice, but it will be an easy install and most would be happy with it

4. Amplifier:
As for the amplifier, I'm still making a choice. It's going to be a 5 channel obviously so there is less to wire in. I'm going to set my price at $250 for this component. I know I cannot buy the top of the line name, but I should be able to get a decent amplifier for that price.

Infinity Kappa Five: 2 ohms: 75 watts x 4 chan. + 300 watts x 1 chan.
MB Quart NA710.5: 2 ohms: 90 watts x 4 chan. + 2 ohms: 350 watts x 1 chan.

The Kappa Five would be OK. The MB Quart is a marine amp, which will work. Here are some others that would do well for you
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...PI-P900.5.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...AB-500.1D.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-OA1100.5.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...te-R600X5.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...od-X700-5.html

Any of these amps should do well for you

Input and suggestions are appreciated.

I chose the Infinity speakers because of past experience with them. I had components in the front and 6x9's in the rear, with a dual 10" sub, and 2 amps driving everything in an Eagle Talon and was extremely happy with them. Of course, that was better than 10 yrs ago

Ive never been a fan of infinity speakers. The tweeters are generally very bright. Some people like the sound, and they seem to be popular here
Old 04-26-2014, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by KILOFINAL
I was just at an audio store today shopping for speakers. I know it's all subjective but I think I'm going for the Hertz speakers. I'll need 4 in the regular cab.....
Rear speakers in a regular cab are about the most worthless thing Ive ever heard of LOL. I would urge you to buy a nice set of Hertz components for the front and disconnect the rears. Listen for a few weeks with just front speakers and if you feel you need rears buy an inexpensive set of coaxials. I think you will decide against rears personally. I run just fronts in my Screw and did the same in my dodge Megacab

Last edited by king nothing; 04-26-2014 at 10:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KILOFINAL (04-26-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 11:11 PM
LONE STAR

Received 629 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by king nothing
Rear speakers in a regular cab are about the most worthless thing Ive ever heard of LOL. I would urge you to buy a nice set of Hertz components for the front and disconnect the rears. Listen for a few weeks with just front speakers and if you feel you need rears buy an inexpensive set of coaxials. I think you will decide against rears personally. I run just fronts in my Screw and did the same in my dodge Megacab
Thanks for your feedback. The second option would be to just upgrade the door speakers(Hertz) as you mentioned and put the extra money into an 8" bazooka to place behind the rear seats. I could just keep the rear speakers stock for now.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by KILOFINAL
Thanks for your feedback. The second option would be to just upgrade the door speakers(Hertz) as you mentioned and put the extra money into an 8" bazooka to place behind the rear seats. I could just keep the rear speakers stock for now.
Front speakers plus sub will sound 146,739 times better than four speakers........... give or take a few. What I would do is buy a set of hertz components and a 4 channel amp. Run the components off the front 2 channels and bridge the rear channels to run a sub. I havent seen what the space behind the seats of a ford looks like but you should be able to fit a real truck box back there and run a 10 or even a 12, which will give you much better results than the bazooka tube. Unless there is another reason for wanting the bazooka.
http://www.parts-express.com/goldwoo...binet--260-636

Quick Reply: 2012 Screw Speakers, amp, and sub?