Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

2010 Sync Speaker Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 07:48 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 2010 Sync Speaker Upgrade

So, I have a 2010 XLT SCrew with the basic SYNC system. To be honest, the speakers SUCK!! They sound decent at low levels but over 40% volume, the base starts to clip and they sound like ***.

I think I want to replace the speakers but I'm having a hard time finding sizes and locations for this truck? I assume there are 4 speakers, 1 in each door but are there any others? Will replacing the speakers give me a decent sound at higher volume? I don't really need a sub or anything I just want some clean sound.

Crutchfield says: 5-1/4, 5x7 or 6x8 all fit?? Which is it? LOL!

Hit me with some ideas and info if you would!

here is a pic of my SYNC HU...

Is a speaker upgrade even worth doing? I've read several posts saying that there was no improvement.

Last edited by RocketFoot; 07-20-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 5x7 and 6x8 will fit. The 5.25 will require an adapter plate. There are some decent speakers that are pretty much plug n play. These are what I used;

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086832...2cf.html?tp=93

they sounded way better than the stock speakers even running off the stock radio.
The following users liked this post:
RocketFoot (07-20-2013)
Old 07-20-2013, 10:20 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Originally Posted by zeke7142003
The 5x7 and 6x8 will fit. The 5.25 will require an adapter plate. There are some decent speakers that are pretty much plug n play. These are what I used;

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086832...2cf.html?tp=93

they sounded way better than the stock speakers even running off the stock radio.
Thanks for the reply! Did you notice better base response without clipping? I have no intentions of changing head units! LOL...I just want a little better/louder sound.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:21 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketFoot
Thanks for the reply! Did you notice better base response without clipping? I have no intentions of changing head units! LOL...I just want a little better/louder sound.
Upgrade the factory door speakers for better clearer sound. I used Kickers. Then add an FRD24 and an amp and sub for bass. I had a single 10" and it was perfect.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketFoot
The bass did not get better but the overall sound did get better. I got tired of that and I now have mine amped, along with another amp running a sub. I have been going in stages. At first I was running the fronts off an Alpine MRP-F300 (channel 1&2) and bridging the rear (channel 3&4)and running a sub (150W). The rear speakers were only powered by the headunit. It sounded pretty good but I wanted some better rear fill so I got an Alpine MRP-M500 to run a better sub (JL Audio 10W1v2-4 (300W)). I also have the rear speakers running off the MRP-F300. It is much better now that I have the rears powered. My next step is getting a Kenwood GPS receiver. I am already wired so it will only require making connections.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

did the same thing you did. Upgraded the speakers, things were better not perfect. Installed a Kenwood receiver and Mestro RR to keep SYNC. The sound is so much better plus I have navigation now.

Just ordered a Kenwood powered sub and the system will be complete.
The following users liked this post:
elcamino (07-25-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to do to a full system install this summer, but I only was able to install a new HU and deaden my doors.

Tbh, replacing the OEM HU did wonders even though the speakers are bad but it definitely helped imho. Of course I have a 2013 that has the tweeters in the A-pillars so that may help.

You can install 6.5's in the doors, you just need to make an adapter/baffle out of something like MDF. I am planning on using 5/8'' MDF treated to become water proof.

If you don't have a tweeter location and don't want to do any cutting and modifications for a component set, some good coaxials will help you out. I don't know if all the current gen F150's have the same speaker size as I have seen some say 6x8 and 5x7.

Either way, just doing a HU upgrade and adding coaxials will help a good deal. If you don't want to run wiring and install amps that is. I could have gotten more done on my build on my vacation but it was too hot, I got lazy then I ran into that stupid Molex door issue.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I replaced my speakers with pioneer 6.5 fronts and 6x8 rears. It is a lot crisper but needs an amp and sub's.
I plan on keeping factory HU and adding two amps or one five channel amp. I would add one 10" or two 8" sub's in a sealed box. I would replace door speakers with infinity kappas.
That's just my opinion!
Old 07-27-2013, 12:46 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have 2012 supercrew with sync unit as well.the stock door speakers are absolute garbage..I replaced all 4 with JL Audio C2 570X . On amazon they are around 100 bucks a pair. Sound way better than stock.i do have a 10" inch JL sub with a JL mono amp but i bought that first when i got the truck...These doors speakers have no amp and run off HU.Replacing the door speakers is easy,YouTube has videos if needed ..
Old 08-02-2013, 06:42 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Has anyone ever used these Jensen Speakers? Not that I want to go with a cheaper speaker, but the frequency range on these is lower than the Infinity's (Frequency response: 36Hz - 30kHz) plus they are 3 way instead of 2 way. I have had Jensens back in the day and they were not bad speakers!

http://www.jensenmobile.com/speakers/?sku=JRX357

Quick Reply: 2010 Sync Speaker Upgrade