Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

13 XLT audio problem driving me INSANE

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 13 XLT audio problem driving me INSANE

First post here, so take it easy on me.

A few weeks ago my factory audio system (4.2LCD sync) started sounding funny at higher volumes. It's hard to describe, but the volume level would intermittently fluctuate, as if the speakers were being "stepped on". They wouldn't cut out, per se, as in the sound wouldn't cut off completely.

Thinking it was speaker related, I switched out all 4 for Infinity REF 8602's, and pushed in the +3dB button on all 4.

The problem hasn't gone away. At first I thought they were pulling too much power, so thought about going back to the 0dB setting on the rears, or just putting the stock speakers back in the rear. Crutchfield tech support said that had nothing to do with the powering, and suggested that I try and swap the pos/neg wires on a back speaker to see if that helped. He said something about the speakers being out of sync? I can't do that without splicing, as I have the speaker adapter kit that plugs into the factory harness, and the pos/neg terminals are different sizes. So I couldn't have wired any of them backwards.

Any audiophiles know what a possible culprit is? It's driving me absolutely nuts. It's a random problem that doesn't happen specifically with any one song, and doesn't necessarily repeat itself at the same points in a song.

Edit: It seems that the problem doesn't happen when I fade the speakers to the fronts only, if that helps.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

You may have an issue in the head unit. I would suggest putting the factory speakers back in and taking it to the dealership. I would assume your 13 is still under warranty?
Old 12-27-2014, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've thought about the head unit being the problem. My truck is still under warranty, so maybe that is the answer.

Is there anything else that could be the problem? Could it be the bluetooth streaming, the wiring or anything else?
Old 12-27-2014, 11:17 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by tenpoint
I've thought about the head unit being the problem. My truck is still under warranty, so maybe that is the answer.

Is there anything else that could be the problem? Could it be the bluetooth streaming, the wiring or anything else?
Does it only happen while streaming Bluetooth? If it does, that is your problem. If it happens on other sources the problem is elsewhere. Regardless of whether the problem is in your head unit or wiring, it would still be a warranty issue
Old 12-28-2014, 09:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive had nothing but problems with my ban new 2014 XLT using the USB and my phone..

To a point where nothing was working at all but the backup camera..
Try dissconnecting the trucks battery for 10 min..

worked for me..

good luck.. Take to the delaer if you have to

Quick Reply: 13 XLT audio problem driving me INSANE