Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

12NMford's Crew Cab system build

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 12:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile 12NMford's Crew Cab system build

Hey everyone I finally got around to installing my sound system in my 2012 Crew cab. Im gonna go over the parts I used, how I did it (w/pics), the results, and finally my questions. Any feedback, questions, and answers are encouraged!

Parts:

Headunit - Kenwood Excelon DNX890hd with maestro RR and scosche dash kit
OEM Ford Emblem Backup Camera

Speakers - JL Audio C5650 components front and rear

Subs - JL Audio (2) 10tw3

Amplifiers - 1 JL Audio HD600/4 for the c5's
1 JL Audio HD750/1 for the subs
1 JL Audio RLC1 remote level control for subs

Accessories - Stinger 1/0ga HPM power wire kit
Stinger 8000 4 channel RCA
Stinger 8000 2 channel RCA
Stinger fused distribution block (1) 1 ga --> (2) 4 ga out
Stinger Pro 16ga and 12ga speaker cable
Stinger Bulk pack Roadkill sound dampening material

Install:

I installed the 890 and maestro couple weeks ago to get used to the unit and its all I had time for, It works flawless with the sync system all I did differently is changed the default setting of the mute volume down held to the ok button on the steering wheel control.

For the speakers I generously put the Stinger Roadkill inside the door;

Then I built a plate to convert the 6x8 to fit the 6.5" c5 then sealed and covered the plate to the door with roadkill and finally mounted the speakers, they fit perfectly. If your wondering why I'm using 6.5" instead of the 6x8 is because I had bought them for my Audi and decided to use them here instead, they actually fit perfectly with the plate and sound awesome!

Mounted the tweeters in the pillar they fit perfectly with a little minor trimming;

I mounted the crossover for the front under the dash and pulled speaker wires through the jamb and to the amp for the fronts. On the rear I mounted the Crossover in the B- pillar above the seatbelt mechanism face in and they fit just fine.
Then I decided a perfect spot for the amplifiers was behind the rear seat on the drivers side side my side so I pulled all the cables to this point routed as neat as possible;

I Then pulled off the rear cover on the back wall, took the measurements several times and cut a mount out of MDF and covered it in charcoal trunk liner to match. I mounted the power distribution block on the lower part of the back wall near the 2nd seat bolt on the passenger side where it was already cut out for future access if necessary;

Finally mounted the amplifiers and wired them up. Then I cut the rear cover and made sure everything fit.

Distribution box on factory cut:

Almost forgot the bass ****:

I still need to build a box for the subs but maybe another weekend, I had a 10w7 In a box and just connected it in the back seat to make sure everything was working.
I meant to take a lot of pics and do a better write up but I got into in and didn't realize I hadn't taken many pics.

Results. Let me start by saying the radio alone with factory speakers is how I ran it for a few weeks, made a big difference and sounded much better. Now with everything else mounted it sounds absolutely amazing. Loud, powerful and great sound quality. I played with crossovers and the eq last night and it only gets better and better. I would highly recommend the Kenwood 890 and especially the JL amps and speakers. Let me know what you all think thanks!
Old 07-21-2013, 12:07 PM

Oh and now for the question, I am now running all speakers through the amps and not the radio and am not getting any sound through them for the sync. I don't know if it is a setting or something on the kenwood unit or the Maestro. Anyone else dealt with this? 12vguy maybe? thanks guys!!
Old 07-21-2013, 12:12 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

Nice! Figuring out the system I want to do for my truck now so stuff like this is good info, appreciate it!
Old 07-21-2013, 12:27 PM

Thanks! Im doing another install for my dad on this 2011 f150 in the next week or two using a single 5 channel amp, the factory radio and the JL audio cleansweep processor. Im excited and curious to get that done for him and see how it turns out. what you thinking of doing?
Old 07-22-2013, 07:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man I bet that sounds amazing. Those tweets integrated nicely in the factory a-pillar mounts. How do you like the 10tw3's? Are you going to be using the HD 900/5 in your dads truck? I am still undecided if I want to use my HD 900/5 or my Audison LRx 5.1k.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:41 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How did you wire up your oem backup camera to the 890? I have the same unit but my backup camera still shows on my rear view mirror. Do I need a harness or something else to connect it to the 890?
Old 07-23-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Set_da_Hook
Man I bet that sounds amazing. Those tweets integrated nicely in the factory a-pillar mounts. How do you like the 10tw3's? Are you going to be using the HD 900/5 in your dads truck? I am still undecided if I want to use my HD 900/5 or my Audison LRx 5.1k.
Thanks man it sure does, I still have yet to fine tune it but I think I'm going to wait til I build the box for the 10tw3's. They look cool and Ive heard other people say good about them but I haven't heard them. Im running a single 10w7 for now and it sounds real good. Yeah the tweeters fit almost perfect with just minor trimming, sorry for the bad pic.
I will actually be using the smaller XD 700/5 in his truck so lets see how it turns out.
Well I really like those Audison amps and every time I hear one I stay impressed. I guess it really depends on what speakers and setup your running. The Audison has a better setup and more power for the front stage if your gonna use an active crossover. It also has almost twice the sub power, but also costs more than the HD 900/5. In my opinion if the rear speakers are mounted on the rear doors and the same size (like in our trucks) and not on the rear deck like some sedans, If you match the front and rear speakers and also power them the same, the rears will do much more than just rear fill, the mid bass will be much stronger. That being said the reason why i went with 2 amps instead of the 1 900/5 is for power, I like having at least 150 wrms to the doors and over 500 to the sub. The reason why I went with the JL amps over the Audison is simply because we are a JL Authorized dealer and its nice to showcase the product if a customer wants to hear in car on a popularly upgraded vehicle plus the pricing.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by MileHighFX2
How did you wire up your oem backup camera to the 890? I have the same unit but my backup camera still shows on my rear view mirror. Do I need a harness or something else to connect it to the 890?
Actually I bought the OEM backup camera through an aftermarket supplier which is the oem camera mated to a harness built to plug in aftermarket radio/monitors. Im sure with a schematic you can get the video feeds necessary to feed to your 890. Let me know if you can't find it, id be happy to help you out, thanks
Old 07-23-2013, 02:48 PM
F150 Forum

Received 147 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 12NMford
Oh and now for the question, I am now running all speakers through the amps and not the radio and am not getting any sound through them for the sync. I don't know if it is a setting or something on the kenwood unit or the Maestro. Anyone else dealt with this? 12vguy maybe? thanks guys!!
Hi,

With or without amplifier should make no difference for Maestro. I would double check to make sure you didn't displace the 3.5mm audio cable from either the back of the 890 or from the Maestro module. This is the main audio path and since we feed into a pre-amp input of the Kenwood, our audio is available on the RCA and the speaker wires.

Hope this is your issue, but please let me know.

Best,
Old 07-23-2013, 10:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Clean looking install and top notch components!
I used JL C5-570s in the front of my truck and they sound fantastic.
I'm a big fan of JL stuff now.

Quick Reply: 12NMford's Crew Cab system build