Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

11' aftermarket stereo help. Amps turning on and off

Old 08-28-2015, 08:54 AM

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

Default 11' aftermarket stereo help. Amps turning on and off

Tried searching for someone having the same issue and not much luck.

11' FX4 standard stereo with SYNC, was using the FRD-24 PAC adapter and stock head unit no problem. 2 external amps

Installed a Pioneer avh-x5700bhs radio with the Axxess XSVI-5521-NAV harness.

Now my amps are randomly turning on an off and flickering power lights. I checked the remote turn on wire at the back of the radio and the connections are solid (blue for the pioneer, (2) blue/white for the Axxess harness.
I connected my parking brake wire to the regular ground which shouldn't have any affect on this. The blue antenna wire doesn't need to be connected to anything, correct?

I'm lost.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:44 AM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Pauli18c
Tried searching for someone having the same issue and not much luck.

11' FX4 standard stereo with SYNC, was using the FRD-24 PAC adapter and stock head unit no problem. 2 external amps

Installed a Pioneer avh-x5700bhs radio with the Axxess XSVI-5521-NAV harness.

Now my amps are randomly turning on an off and flickering power lights. I checked the remote turn on wire at the back of the radio and the connections are solid (blue for the pioneer, (2) blue/white for the Axxess harness.
I connected my parking brake wire to the regular ground which shouldn't have any affect on this. The blue antenna wire doesn't need to be connected to anything, correct?

I'm lost.
Try hooking up the amp turn on directly to the Pioneer bypassing the harness
Old 08-28-2015, 12:30 PM

That's what I was going to try and do when I got back home from work to see if somehow I broke the wire along the way. Even though I wasn't working on that side of the truck at all. I'm stumped as for now.

Could it have to do with a low voltage drop? The truck was sitting for about a week and when I just turned the key on it gave me the turn truck off low battery warning. It fired right up though, and the radio itself isn't flickering at all, just the amps.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:20 PM

Ran a new wire across the cab and same thing
Old 08-29-2015, 09:00 AM
New to F150s

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do what is suggested above: take the remote turn on setup completely out of the equation by bypassing it via running a piece of wire between 12v in and remote in on the amp that is cutting out.

if it still cuts out: then it's not the remote wire and you are wasting your time running new wires for that, you need to make sure you are running the proper gauge wire for the amps and they are correctly grounded
Old 08-29-2015, 10:56 AM

Took a volt meter to everything last night.

13 volts at idle at the battery
13 volts at both amps on the big wires (+/-) Running 4 gauge for both of them so that isn't an issue.
11.76v at the remote turn on at the harness, then would randomly drop too 10.86v, and when the amps would turn off .09v.

So I went and got an add a fuse and tapped into #38 and everything works fine. So something must be wrong with the Axxess harness or something.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:16 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

13 volts at both amps on the big wires (+/-) Running 4 gauge for both of them so that isn't an issue.
11.76v at the remote turn on at the harness, then would randomly drop too 10.86v, and when the amps would turn off .09v.

So I went and got an add a fuse and tapped into #38 and everything works fine. So something must be wrong with the Axxess harness or something.
That's why I said to connect the amp turn on directly to the HU amp turn on wire bypassing the PAC
Old 08-29-2015, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Wyo11Scab
That's why I said to connect the amp turn on directly to the HU amp turn on wire bypassing the PAC

Honestly I didn't feel like pulling the head unit back out as I already had it all buttoned up. Since it turned on fine and started playing fine when I first tested it before it was all put back together.
I got access to the wires by the side panels and reaching up. I couldn't reach the actual head unit harness
Old 08-30-2015, 08:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just curious where you installed the amps. I have an 11 but don't want them under the rear seat. I use the rear seats up quite a bit for tool storage going to jobs.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:10 AM
New to F150s

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you want to get the remote turn on lead to be back under control of the Axxess, you could run an SPST relay: (because for instance, you now experience a turn on pop because of using a key-switched source and not a radio-switched source)

- Pin 85 to ground
- Pin 87 to 12v with a 5 amp fuse protecting it
- Pin 30 to the amp(s) remote input
- Pin 86 to the Axxess remote lead out

the relay will stay engaged even at 10 volts and will continue to provide the amps with the 12v needed to stay on

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 11' aftermarket stereo help. Amps turning on and off