Topic Sponsor
Stereo/Audio Come discuss all Ford F150 Stereo and Audio questions here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: The Magic Brand

04 Tablet Install (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 12:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 04 Tablet Install (Pics)

Hey All,

I have had a Pioneer aftermarket head unit for a few years. The unit has become out of date, unable to connect to my phone (Galaxy S6) through Bluetooth. I looked into doing Pioneer's Android Auto head unit but the cost didn't seem worth it to me as the unit was limited.

After much research I decided to install a Galaxy Tab 4 (7 Inch) in place of my head unit. Most 7 inch tablets fit great in a double din. There are many ways to do it but I decided to keep my Pioneer head unit in the back powering the tablet through AUX. I found later that older devices do not have digital audio converters built in so I decided to run a bluetooth adapter that plugs in the AUX of the head unit. This ended up saving me the headache of running an AUX cord (Bluetooth doesnt distort like an AUX cord would). I had some trouble running the power but i was able to drill out a section for it. The Satechi Bluetooth Media Button is the key to the setup. The button comes with a wheel attachment and I am able to change songs and adjust volume through the device. I can bluetooth tether internet connection to my phone to the tablet

Apps I Use:

-Spotify (Download playlists for use w/o internet)
-Serious XM
-TuneIn Radio
-Google Maps (Able to download 25 miles radius for use w/o internet)
-Auto Sleeper Auto Power ON-OFF (Goes into sleep when power is not detected, wakes up when power is detected)

Apps I Am Working On

-Torque
-SDR Touch (Physical USB Radio Antenna for use w/o internet)

Last edited by athomp14; 08-17-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:33 PM
Some guy

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Awesome idea! How is it held onto the wood? Velcro or something similar?
Old 08-17-2015, 12:37 PM

For now it just rests there without a problem. The tablet has a thin case on it so I will probably glue the case to the wood once I find something to fill the gap above the tablet.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:40 PM
Some guy

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Well dang. Now I feel like I wasted money with the head unit I put in. I should've done this. It'd be cool if there was an adapter that used the existing steering wheel controls to talk to the tablet.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by LaMartian
Well dang. Now I feel like I wasted money with the head unit I put in. I should've done this. It'd be cool if there was an adapter that used the existing steering wheel controls to talk to the tablet.
I have seen people do it but I don't have steering wheel controls in my 04
Old 08-17-2015, 01:02 PM

Received 484 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by athomp14
For now it just rests there without a problem. The tablet has a thin case on it so I will probably glue the case to the wood once I find something to fill the gap above the tablet.
I don't think glue would be a good idea
Old 08-18-2015, 11:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by athomp14

That looks great! I will look at installing a table when my Sony HU goes out. I have seen people using magnetic strips to hold down their tablets onto the dash. if you put the strips on the board and then on the back of the case it should hold up pretty well and it makes it easy to remove. Just FYI
Old 08-18-2015, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sailor_USN
That looks great! I will look at installing a table when my Sony HU goes out. I have seen people using magnetic strips to hold down their tablets onto the dash. if you put the strips on the board and then on the back of the case it should hold up pretty well and it makes it easy to remove. Just FYI
Yea that's probably best. Just getting a few more things worked out

Quick Reply: 04 Tablet Install (Pics)