Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!

uh ohh what did I do

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation uh ohh what did I do

I was recently driving down the road in my 86 fordXL 4x4 302 n it seemed to have no power I thought it was running out of gas so i filled er up n it still was sputtering and making all kinds of weird noises in first gear it had little or know power so i shoved it to the floor n got it up to 3rd gear n it ran awful smoke comming out of both tail pipes but I got it home n i opened up the hood and there was oil around the motor on the drivers side by the water pump i wonder what happend to it?? PLZ HELP
Old 12-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Jon

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the site!
Old 12-08-2007, 04:14 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Welcome to the site!

Your situation could be many things, all of which require further inspection and testing. At any rate, your description doesn't sound make the solution sound easy or cheap.

Some things to consider looking at are the distributor, perhaps a compression check especially on the #5 cylinder (front driver side). Try to locate where the oil originated from. Does the engine turn over smoothly when starting, or does it lope unevenly?

Not sure if you have true dual exhausts or cat backs?

If you have the DuraSpark system, I don't think any computer codes can be pulled? If you have the EEC-IV, may consider pulling the codes to see if there is anything enlightening.

Don't overlook the possibility that the oil and the recent engine problem could be two separate issues.

Good luck, and keep us posted. I, for one, would be interested in hearing what you find out as you get more into this.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:20 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would start looking around for another good 302, or 351 V8 there are sure enough of them out there. Whatever is wrong does not sound cheap, if that is the case it will probably be cheaper to just change out the motor.

Please describe the weird noises.

Last edited by transmaster; 12-08-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by wde3477
Welcome to the site!

Your situation could be many things, all of which require further inspection and testing. At any rate, your description doesn't sound make the solution sound easy or cheap.

Some things to consider looking at are the distributor, perhaps a compression check especially on the #5 cylinder (front driver side). Try to locate where the oil originated from. Does the engine turn over smoothly when starting, or does it lope unevenly?

Not sure if you have true dual exhausts or cat backs?
Could it be by any chance a lower in take manifold gasket??

If you have the DuraSpark system, I don't think any computer codes can be pulled? If you have the EEC-IV, may consider pulling the codes to see if there is anything enlightening.

Don't overlook the possibility that the oil and the recent engine problem could be two separate issues.

Good luck, and keep us posted. I, for one, would be interested in hearing what you find out as you get more into this.
Do you know if a 351 clevland out of a mustang would fit in my truck lol thanks for the info il be sure to look at that
Old 12-08-2007, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by transmaster
I would start looking around for another good 302, or 351 V8 there are sure enough of them out there. Whatever is wrong does not sound cheap, if that is the case it will probably be cheaper to just change out the motor.

Please describe the weird noises.
well it was sputtering had very little power had smoke commin out of the pipes (catback). like it was runnin out of gas i could hold it right to tthe floor and it still wouldnt hardly move

Quick Reply: uh ohh what did I do