Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!

Traded my new Tacoma for 'my old' F-150

Old 04-05-2018, 03:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Traded my new Tacoma for 'my old' F-150

I had a brain fart!

I actually bought this 2017 F150 brand new last November. But I got the itch for one of those 3rd gen Tacomas. SO, I did a dumb thing and traded the Ford for one. Found a used '17 with 5k miles at a Ford dealer so I knew they'd give me top dollar for my F150 vs buying the Tacoma at a Toyota dealer. Long story short...really liked the truck except I'm 6-1 and 250pds and it was just too small inside. And there was NO room in the backseat. All that 'smallness' was magnified since I just come out of the F150 which has tons of room!. After driving it for 2 months I decided I'd trade the Tacoma for a 'lightly used F150 like I had(S-Crew,4x4,2.7,302A,Nav,Tow,etc...) so I started looking. I did Finance at car dealers for 25 years so I know how to work dealers pretty well, and they usually get frustrated when dealing with me. Just by chance I got on the website for the dealer where I'd traded mine in this past January...they still had it. It had 5500 miles on it....a couple hundred more than when I traded it. I got ahold of my salesman and made a stupid offer to trade back which they laughed at and rejected. Long story short again, I traded yesterday for it. I lost about $1000 doing the deal but MORE than worth it to me! The Tacoma may be great for a smaller guy, no kids, or maybe a married couple with no kids. But NOT for much else. I hadn't gotten 5 miles from the dealership yesterday after doing the paperwork and I was like "WTF was I thinkin?!?" SO GLAD to be back in MY F150!!!

Old 04-05-2018, 03:38 PM

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeah losing 1,000 to get back into what you wanted doesn't sound bad at all to me. I know whenever I swap vehicles around I always lose my *** on the trades one way or the other.

Hell I've PAID more than that just to sell vehicles I owed more than I could get out of it.
The following users liked this post:
Steeler-Jim (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 06:02 PM

I told them even swap for my first offer. Those damn Tacomas book out the ***!. It stickered for $40,419 new, while my F150 stickered for $49,705, but the Tacoma actually booked for MORE! (Not much, but about $1400). Both '17s and both about 5kmiles. After I offered the even swap, they came back at me giving $2500 boot. I wasn't gonna do that. I figured I'd use the same logic when I bought the Tacoma from a Ford dealer, and try and find a Ford at a Toyota dealer. I hadn't gotten 5 miles down the road and they called and asked if I'd do $1500. I said make it a grand OTD and I will turn around. They did it. Ford, Chevy and Dodge KILL themselves with all those stupid rebates. Hell I stopped at a Dodge dealer that had a '17 F150 out front for sale. Didn't buy it cause it didn't have Lim Slip rear end, but they had a Dodge(Ram) that stickered for $48k that I could have swapped EVEN for the Tacoma. I drove it, but it was a major disappointment with how it drove and the fit and finish sucked!
Old 04-05-2018, 06:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

HA! Out of most of the guys I know, we lose money on our vehicles regardless! It just comes with the territory when you dump money into customizing a vehicle. Either way, welcome "back" to the club! I'm new to the boards as well, but my last few vehicles have all been Fords.
Steeler-Jim (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 06:54 PM

How fitting is it that I'm watching the St Louis Cardinals opening day ceremonies and they are bringing the team out in new F150s to introduce them! The Official Truck of the St Louis Cardinals!
Old 04-05-2018, 07:03 PM

Received 195 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Steeler-Jim
I told them even swap for my first offer. Those damn Tacomas book out the ***!. It stickered for $40,419 new, while my F150 stickered for $49,705, but the Tacoma actually booked for MORE! (Not much, but about $1400). Both '17s and both about 5kmiles. After I offered the even swap, they came back at me giving $2500 boot. I wasn't gonna do that. I figured I'd use the same logic when I bought the Tacoma from a Ford dealer, and try and find a Ford at a Toyota dealer. I hadn't gotten 5 miles down the road and they called and asked if I'd do $1500. I said make it a grand OTD and I will turn around. They did it. Ford, Chevy and Dodge KILL themselves with all those stupid rebates. Hell I stopped at a Dodge dealer that had a '17 F150 out front for sale. Didn't buy it cause it didn't have Lim Slip rear end, but they had a Dodge(Ram) that stickered for $48k that I could have swapped EVEN for the Tacoma. I drove it, but it was a major disappointment with how it drove and the fit and finish sucked!
Damn that's quite the story but nice to see you got back behind the wheel of your beloved F150 again

I'm considering the Taco right now and the one thing that stands out to me is that the 3rd gens don't know what depreciation is......2016 TRDOR ACLB with 30k selling for literally the same as a new 2018 TRDOR DCSB

is the cab really that small? I'm 6'4 but really lean and honestly all of the other midsizers save for the Canyon and Taco are so far off and outrageous
Old 04-05-2018, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by nubbins_
Damn that's quite the story but nice to see you got back behind the wheel of your beloved F150 again

I'm considering the Taco right now and the one thing that stands out to me is that the 3rd gens don't know what depreciation is......2016 TRDOR ACLB with 30k selling for literally the same as a new 2018 TRDOR DCSB

is the cab really that small? I'm 6'4 but really lean and honestly all of the other midsizers save for the Canyon and Taco are so far off and outrageous
1) The Tacomas have leveled off a bit as far as value for used ones. The 2017 Double Cab TRD Off Road Long Bed that I had, had 5500 miles on it and the best buy-bid I could get from a Toyota dealer was $31,500(I got the bid for the Ford dealer to put my trade deal together). It's original MSRP was $40,419. Had a couple dealers tell me $29,000! When the 3rd Gens first came out in 2016, the dealers could hardly get them. Now the dealer closest to me probably has 25-30 new ones. Dealers told me they are selling them at or just above invoice now because of that. The only one still selling hot is the TRD PROs.
2) If you're 6'4" YOU may be comfortable in that truck. But if you put the driver's seat in a position where you are comfortable, the rear seat will be unusable behind you(Double Cab). I'm talking literally about 2 inches between the back of the front seat and the front of the back seat!

I have a 27 year old severely autistic son that rides with me every day on my job as an appraiser. He rides in the back seat on the passenger side. He's about 6' tall. For him to even be halfway comfortable, the passenger front seat had to be slid so far forward, no one could sit in it. So if you are a bachelor with no kids and no friends that you'll ever wanna take for a ride in your truck, the Tacoma may work. Otherwise forget it... Once the coolness wears off, and those trucks are cool... You will be ready to trade.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:46 PM

Here is a pic of my Tacoma. It was sharp as hell. But it's not NEAR the truck the F150 is. The Tacoma has a 3.5 V6 making 265hp. My F150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost will runaway and hide from that Tacoma AND gets just as good, maybe better fuel mileage!

Old 04-05-2018, 10:52 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

Welcome to the F-150 forum! Glad to have you join us.

Have any fun performance modifications planned for the truck?
Steeler-Jim (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 12:09 AM

Received 195 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Steeler-Jim
1) The Tacomas have leveled off a bit as far as value for used ones. The 2017 Double Cab TRD Off Road Long Bed that I had, had 5500 miles on it and the best buy-bid I could get from a Toyota dealer was $31,500(I got the bid for the Ford dealer to put my trade deal together). It's original MSRP was $40,419. Had a couple dealers tell me $29,000! When the 3rd Gens first came out in 2016, the dealers could hardly get them. Now the dealer closest to me probably has 25-30 new ones. Dealers told me they are selling them at or just above invoice now because of that. The only one still selling hot is the TRD PROs.
2) If you're 6'4" YOU may be comfortable in that truck. But if you put the driver's seat in a position where you are comfortable, the rear seat will be unusable behind you(Double Cab). I'm talking literally about 2 inches between the back of the front seat and the front of the back seat!

I have a 27 year old severely autistic son that rides with me every day on my job as an appraiser. He rides in the back seat on the passenger side. He's about 6' tall. For him to even be halfway comfortable, the passenger front seat had to be slid so far forward, no one could sit in it. So if you are a bachelor with no kids and no friends that you'll ever wanna take for a ride in your truck, the Tacoma may work. Otherwise forget it... Once the coolness wears off, and those trucks are cool... You will be ready to trade.
Ah. Sounds like a very tough ride for your son to be squashed into the backseat every day. The double cab backseat seems roughly comparable to SuperCab, which was definitely a less than comfortable ride for my friends but they learned to deal with it. And we are most definitely bachelors haha, your son is older than we are!

You will (re-)love the stout little motor that the 2.7EB is. The 3.5 2GR is a relatively innovative motor but it's no match for the 2.7EB that can regularly average 21mpg! I'm excited to see what you do with the truck; what mods do you have in mind?
Steeler-Jim (04-06-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Traded my new Tacoma for 'my old' F-150