Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!

New Here, Digging for Answers

Old 12-11-2017, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Here, Digging for Answers

Hello from Southern California! Now I'm clearly a new member, but I do not yet own a truck. I'm one of those dreaded GM owners coming to the light side/dark side (depending on your opinion lol)! The plan I have for one when I get it is quite grand. It will be a build with limits, but only the ones I pose for the truck itself. The main reason I joined was to pick the brains of the guys that have done similar builds or will have insight/brands they recommend or have used and think I should avoid, as well as just other input on my plan.
So here goes, I'm looking to get a classic F100, post 61, but pre 67. Also would prefer the short bed, but if I find a long bed ill just do some cutting if need be. I like the front end look and the sweeping body sides of this year ranges of trucks. Personally I like the 66 look the most with the marker light in the hood. Now the plan, depending on your opinion will be ruining the truck, or making it great again... A Pro touring style of my own!
I want to pull a coyote motor and 6 seed tranny out of a wrecked mustang that is between the years 15-17 (all the good forged internals), drop it on some kind of aftermarket/ mustang front clip with control arms and coilovers. For the rear end, I would like a ford 9 inch, with probably 3.70 gears since the mustang power plant makes some good numbers stock and I don't want too much power on the light rear end of a pickup. Coilovers in the rear as well, probably a mini tub, lowered stye, wide wheel/tire, probably about 19 or 20 inch wheels, I'm leaning towards american racing style rims. I want the petina look for the outside of the truck for sure, no fresh paint on this build, I don't want to be deterred from ever using it, plus i like the natural surface rusting style on a lot of the older cars. The cab will have the creature comforts, nice sound mat, power windows, comfy and sporty seats, nice auto meter gauge if possible, tinted windows, probably will transfer over the mustang pedals if possible, possibly gauges if the auto meter gauges aren't what I'm wanting. I would like discs in every corner, after all this is a sporty build. Its a very rough and scattered layout that I just typed up on a whim, trying to take it all down and see what sticks. To be clear, this will obviously be a pricey build, and will likely take me 5+ years to complete, but I love to tinker and this is my next big dream build to keep for the years to follow. As a 20 year old, its rather daunting idea, but I have a father who has been around cars since he was 12 building VW baja bugs and he has years of experience and would love to help me where I need it but watch me build it myself. This truck would obviously happen in stages, starting with the truck jsut getting to run on whatever engine it has when I buy it, then probably rear end and then front getting it to ride better, then cleaning up the cab, and more than likely the last thing to happen would be the coyote and manual tranny swap.

If you see any large issues with this very rough idea of what I want to build please comment here so I can know now if I need to do any drastic changes in my planning. So far this is a pipe dream, I have always wanted to build a pro touring car/truck and this seems to have caught my attention the most. I love the sound of the coyote motor and am hoping it would be a really good center to this build, also missing the stick shift life style since selling my e36 BMW.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Here, Digging for Answers