Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!

New guy need some opinions.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy need some opinions.

Hey guys I'm new to this site. I want to buy a pre-owned F-150. I want a 3.5 L EcoBoost. However I'm worried about the reliability of the engine. Particularly the Turbo System I'm an experienced automotive tech with diagnostic skills and access to Ford IDs.. have the 3.5 L had a lot of issues? They seem to be reliable and efficient. I will be buying a Ford but if the 3.5 liter is not a good engine I'd rather buy a 5 liter call it a day. Any for text with any opinions? thank you!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I'm in the market for a new truck, about to turn in my '14 F-150 lease. I've been doing a lot of research but just joined here today to get some more input.

I currently have the 5.0 and I do love it, but the 3.5 ecoboost is looking more and more promising when you look at the numbers. It has significant advantages in both towing and hauling. In several comparisons, I have read the 5.0 being called sluggish next to the 3.5, with the only upside being a small boost in HP at high RPM or when towing.

I'd be interested in hearing anything you learn, and good luck with your search.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

I just bought my 15 3.5 in May, I chose it on recommendation of a good trusted friend that has put 200K total miles on 2 3.5 f150s over the past 2 years. He drives. It is his job. He hauls stuff with it. Lots of miles. Neither of his were ever in the shop for anything that wasn't normal scheduled maintenance.
I came to this truck from a 1 ton Dodge diesel. This thing drives just like it. Lots of power and torque. I love it so far.
However, if you run them hard. And I mean hot rod hard, parts wear out faster.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:08 AM

I think im going to pull the trigger on a 3.5L ecoboost. I plan on spending 26k dollars sticker. Ive seen a 2011 fx4 supercab 20" rims with dual climate control and luxury package for 25,900. Should i get a 2013 or 14 with no options and less mileage? Or spring for the options?

Last edited by Church401; 07-26-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:10 AM

Received 264 Likes on 186 Posts

No common issues with turbo's, but I would get the later year models as they did do some refining to the intercooling system.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:53 PM

I cant afford a late model year eco boost. I'm going to look at a nice '11 this week. Ill get a catch can setup and drill a weep hole. Its got 63k. I'm going to throw a set of plugs in there, and pull the intake and check the intake valves. Thats all I can think of for basic maintence.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:38 AM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

If you are at all planning to tow something....PLEASE read the door sticker carefully to see GVWR on the front, the rear, total vehicle and passenger and cargo. I found that with my truck.....pulling the "advertised" weight of 7600 lbs is a day dream...or should I say, a nightmare. We were just lucky to buy a trailer we love at 4450 lbs dry. A 22' ultra light trailer....glad we didn't buy the used 28' that was sitting there.

Don't let your truck OR trailer sales person tell you anything regarding this. Do the research yourself. My buddy....whom we bought the truck from said he would tow 9500lbs easy. It won't even get close!!! I showed him.... The trailer sales person didn't even make the effort to look at the weight sticker of my truck, just assuming my truck would pull it.

Don't let this put you off of these trucks....WE LOVE ours. But it won't pull like we expected.

Search this Thread