Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!

New FX4 2nd New Engine New to Forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New FX4 2nd New Engine New to Forum

Hi All,

Let me give you some background on myself and how I got here. I have been researching trucks for the last three months and drove them all, Tundra, Titan, F150, Sierra's etc... I have two boys and two rather large dogs and needed some space with a bed for hauling stuff (snowmobile fanatics, waterskiing family, etc..) I previously owned Ford Broncos (full size) loved em and then moved away from Ford when they discontinued. So, fast forward 15 years, an active family and a need for another full size truck. (Ive been beating the cr***out of my wife's Lexus RX330 for 10 years hauling everything from the sleds to the boat and she finally had enough.) Ok, side track for a moment...I started my career in automotive (undergrad from NEIT) and worked for Lexus as an auto tech. Then a stint in the Coast Guard, another degree and now work in Corporate America, although, still a gear head at heart which is why knowone services my cars, boats or sleds but me. (Don't care much for BIG HANDS in my engines) One huge exception is the engine swap on my new to me 2011 FX4 screw 5.0litre.

The rest of the story is I fell in love with the FX4 and the fact the back seats flip up. Frickin 40k trucks and Ford has the only sense to hinge the back seats. Anyhow, found a black FX4 screw local and bought it without a test drive. In my defense, I have been driving so many and this had 30k on it so I just said ok, idiot, well kinda. Got it home that night and heard the tap, tap, tap ...exactly what I have been reading about on this forum. So, being mechanicaly inclined I got out my metal 3/8 foot long extension and stuck it to the valve covers. definately right side and loud, up and down with rpm's, Im thinking adjustments. Well, no. Took it to dealer and 7 days later have a new 5.0 heart direct from FORD (not re-manufactured). Bottom-line is once the engine was torn down, the Exhaust Cam and Intake Cam Journals were severely scored warranting a new engine. On a side note, it was the exact tap, tap, tap as the 5.0 mustang in the youtube video.

So, thats how I got here!

Look forward to speaking with everyone.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:30 PM

welcome to the site hope all goes well with the new 5.0 at least you didnt have to fight with them about having a new one put in again welcome
Old 01-25-2013, 02:42 PM

Default Thanks Dan.

It was quite amazing how easy the process was and yes, luckily no fight. I think it was the auto tech and how he described the damage to FORD that made the process easy. I've done my share, in the past, of "banging" warranty when I worked for Lexus (toyota) and it all boils down to how you descibe the problem.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Good bio. Good story.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:50 PM

Received 94 Likes on 94 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Quick Reply: New FX4 2nd New Engine New to Forum