Topic Sponsor
Introductions New to the site? Introduce yourself!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New '15 F150 XLT Owner - Vibrating Drivetrain - Now filled with regret - Any Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New '15 F150 XLT Owner - Vibrating Drivetrain - Now filled with regret - Any Advice?

Hey guys, Just bought a new 2015 F150 XLT 3.5 Ecoboost - Absolutely Loved this truck, until a week ago.

I used to say things like "smooth as silky smooth butter, floating on a cloud, I didn't know trucks could be this nice" - hauling heavy things, small things, or nothing at all... This truck was great.

Then like a switch, coming back from a trip, something changed, I called the guy I was traveling with in the other vehicle and told him we needed to pull over at the next rest stop because the truck was Vibrating pretty bad. I thought tires or something, everything looked perfect. back on the road, same problem.

Took it to the dealership - they balanced the tires, could feel the same problem soon as I drove away.

Took it back - next day, call from the service manager "Yeah, they vibrate, it's normal, you'll get used to it" - said "no, but you and I can work together in finding what the problem is."

So I speak with a guy from Seattle who said he had his 2014 Lariat in over 13 times. Problem was never resolved - He decided that it would be better to just trade the truck in for a Chevy instead of becoming a criminal with what he felt like doing with the truck they wouldn't fix.

So now i'm collecting info on what to do - documenting it all - and preparing to fight a very hard battle if this goes the way it sounds like it will.

If anyone has any information what so ever, Please let me know! I need your help.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's terrible and hopefully Ford stands behind this to get it resolved. As a week long owner of a 2016 that would make me sick. Do you feel the vibrations all the way thru the steering wheel?
Old 01-21-2016, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by searayrules
That's terrible and hopefully Ford stands behind this to get it resolved. As a week long owner of a 2016 that would make me sick. Do you feel the vibrations all the way thru the steering wheel?
Vibration is felt through the entire vehicle, front, back, sides, steering wheel, seats, rear seats, dash.

I'm collecting info now to present to the service manager to help them fix this for both myself and anyone else who comes in with this problem.

But yeah, I will keep everyone updated here on these forums and the others for anything I find that could help someone who experiences the same problem.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:36 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Get down there and have a look at the drive shaft and both the flanges. See if you may have lost a factory weight on the drive shaft or picked something up from the road. You said you came back from a trip. Go to a car wash or fire up your pressure washer and spray off your transmission and drive shaft / rear diff, then take your tires off and spray all those off - inside the rim, the calipers, rotors, hubs... Even as something as a little mud in the wrong spot or picking up a plastic bag on the highway can throw everything off.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by LaMartian
Get down there and have a look at the drive shaft and both the flanges. See if you may have lost a factory weight on the drive shaft or picked something up from the road. You said you came back from a trip. Go to a car wash or fire up your pressure washer and spray off your transmission and drive shaft / rear diff, then take your tires off and spray all those off - inside the rim, the calipers, rotors, hubs... Even as something as a little mud in the wrong spot or picking up a plastic bag on the highway can throw everything off.
Acknowledged. When I got back from the trip I got the truck cleaned, First took the pressure washer to it, then drove it through the automated (new truck treatment, right?) - then took it to the dealership where they balanced the tires, and then even spent several hours with it, trying to figure out what the deal is ----- they said they checked driveline, suspension, mounting, etc etc.... Looks like a brand new truck.

I'll speak with them today at lunch with my findings and ask if we can try a few things.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:27 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Myself, if I was having this problem, I'd start with new U joints. They're maybe $10 apiece each and there are only two of them. Sort of annoying to replace, but not "hard" per se.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Invite the GM of the dealership to lunch. Let him know you are a new customer and want to show him your appreciation by taking him to lunch 20 miles away somewhere where he is sure to feel it.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:25 PM
1A Auto Parts

Received 473 Likes on 453 Posts

Welcome to the site

Tony
Old 01-31-2016, 12:27 AM

I recently bought a 2015 XLT with 3.5 liter ecoboost super crew with the FX4 package. I had a similar problem with some vibration at between 40 and 50 mph. It started after about 4,000 miles on the truck. This vibration appears to be much less than you described. I rotated the tires and it has mostly gone away.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by KimballHansen
I recently bought a 2015 XLT with 3.5 liter ecoboost super crew with the FX4 package. I had a similar problem with some vibration at between 40 and 50 mph. It started after about 4,000 miles on the truck. This vibration appears to be much less than you described. I rotated the tires and it has mostly gone away.
Well get this.

Other dealership found it in 1 day - bad front right tire. vibration is now gone. I swore the pronounced road feeling was still there, perhaps something wrong with the other tires right? Went to the dealership i bought it from and got to drive the manager's personal truck just like mine except with BFG 50/50 tires and didn't even have to leave the lot before experiencing that his was riding more rough than mine. We then drove my truck and he said my truck rides better than his. We then drove a brand new truck with only 4 miles on it and the same times - oddly enough, felt exactly the same as my truck. Same tire pressure and everything. So this whole "feel everything in the road" was confirmed a part of being hyper sensitive to every damn thing on the road because of 2 things , everything I had read online that got me worked up, as well as the vibration i felt from that tire. It wasn't until heading back to the dealership that i remembered originally seeing the tire pressure at 32 on all 4 wheels when i first drove my truck off the lot. I had since bumped the tire pressure up to 40 PSI which was only 5 above door panel specs. I honestly didn't think I had felt that much road even with higher tire pressure, but it wasn't until the vibration that I started focusing on everything on the road.

I'll post this elsewhere too in hopes that it might shed some light on what others might be experiencing also. Shaking and Vibration is not normal.... Road noise is, depending how what kind of tires you go with.

Quick Reply: New '15 F150 XLT Owner - Vibrating Drivetrain - Now filled with regret - Any Advice?